How long to boil ham before it's safe to eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most ham is already cooked (unless you are buying a fresh ham, which is unlikely). You can eat it right out of the package safely. If you wanted , you could eat potatoes raw. There is no need to boil soup for 15 minutes, unless you have some other ingredient that requires it.

Silversage is right on. Cook it long enough to heat everything through and ensure the other ingredients are cooked.

The chance that the ham isn't ready to eat is very low. Have you ever handled raw pork? Did it feel like that? Was it the same colour? No, then it wasn't a fresh ham and was safe to eat, straight out of the package, as Silversage wrote. I am, of course, assuming it hasn't been sitting around long enough to go off.

The package will tell you if it's "Ready to Eat" or "Fully Cooked".
I have bought ready to eat ham that didn't specify. I looked really hard. I'll admit, it was a long time ago. DH isn't fond of ham except the gourmet cold cuts, so I haven't bought ham in any other form in years.

"Ready to Eat" or "Fully Cooked" as mentioned by Andy & Silversage are the most common ones available. Also mentioned that uncooked Ham also says very clearly on the packaging that it must be cooked. I used to buy those all the time but have not in decades so don't know what is available now.

But... they look the same! It is not raw meat like you would see in a roast of Pork! They are they absolutely the same colour, texture I cannot comment on as I simply don't remember, but believe it was very similar if not even undetectable.

If you bought that cut up piece of ham like that at the grocers, it is most definitely cooked.

"Ready to Eat" or "Fully Cooked" as mentioned by Andy & Silversage are the most common ones available. Also mentioned that uncooked Ham also says very clearly on the packaging that it must be cooked. I used to buy those all the time but have not in decades so don't know what is available now.

But... they look the same! It is not raw meat like you would see in a roast of Pork! They are they absolutely the same colour, texture I cannot comment on as I simply don't remember, but believe it was very similar if not even undetectable.

If you bought that cut up piece of ham like that at the grocers, it is most definitely cooked.
I bought a big chunk of ham and sliced pieces off and cut them into little cubes and boiled the soup with it in there.

you have to go out of your way to find a fresh ham
What is uncooked ham called?
A fresh ham would be an uncured leg of pork. The fresh ham will have the term “fresh” in the title of the product. The term fresh means that the product has not been cured in any process.

the above copied from (dr) Google. and as jennyema has said - you'd have to go out of your way (at least now-a-days) to find a "fresh ham".

is the meat Red? or white? Red is cured and basically reddy to eat. White is raw and needs to be cooked. Delli. make sandwiches. In a cloth bag? eat it. in a plastic bag , most people at least warm it thru with jelley on it. put any in soup for 30 min. eat it. but the cloth bag style country ham is very salty.
Eric, Austin Tx.

You would have noticed when eating.
Besides that, cut into small pieces and cooked for 15 minutes would have made raw pork fine to eat anyway

Back
Top Bottom