Interesting grilled cheese ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
A few years ago, DH and I were driving to Michigan to visit family and stopped for lunch at a place near Cleveland we had seen on "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives." They specialize in grilled cheese sandwiches. Here's their menu: Melt Bar and Grilled | Menu

I had the Rising Sun. It was a-ma-zing. I want to make it myself.

Cool menu - there are some great ideas there. I like mine with a little thinly sliced dill pickle. I also like them on inside out burger buns. The perfect hand sandwich....

grilledcheese_burger.jpg

Last edited:
I wanted one the other day.It was a every man for himself kind of thing.
Jumped on that opportunity Made myself a triple cheese messy, mess.

Bread buttered on both sides
2 slices of sliced cheddar cheese
1 slice of pepper jack
2 heaping tablespoons of chili

Slap it all together.Put it on the pannini maker until nicely toasted and it's basically a gooey mess.Done!
That was sooo good.:D

One of our favorites is made with a type of bread I make called bacon-and-egg bread, which is standard white loaf bread that is made using beaten egg and cooked bacon bits. I won't go into the process here but, suffice it to say, it's yummy on its own.

Butter one side of each slice, add a nice layer of Swiss cheese and another layer of thinly shaved ham. Assemble in the normal manner and grill until nice and brown and the cheese begins to melt. Yep, yep, yeppers. Pretty good sammich!

i'd get lost in menu like that. :yum:

Personally I like mine with thinly sliced tomato and bell peppers with seasoning I like.

Me too, Charlie - sliced tomatoes are almost a necessity on my grilled cheese sammies. :yum:

I used to put sliced tomato and onions in rings on my grilled cheese, but Stirling doesn't like raw tomato, so now I use salsa and onion in rings. I like that even better. :pig:

I agree with the sliced tomato. Sometimes simple is good.
A very light spread of mayo on the bread browns it nicely without getting greasy. I learned that trick from our daughter when she worked in a deli in college.

i'd get lost in menu like that. :yum:

Personally I like mine with thinly sliced tomato and bell peppers with seasoning I like.

Me too Charlie. When I go out to eat, I don't want to have to work for my food starting with trying to figure out the menu. As much as I like their meatloaf, I hate going to the Cheese Factory. They have turned their menu into a novel. :angel:

Me too Charlie. When I go out to eat, I don't want to have to work for my food starting with trying to figure out the menu. As much as I like their meatloaf, I hate going to the Cheese Factory. They have turned their menu into a novel. :angel:

Indeed. Cheesecake Factory has one of the most extensive menus. Another was a diner in Joisey next to the hotel, when we were there for a niece's wedding. I think it was like 20 pages of menu. We just kept ordering the crab cakes every day, which were excellent.

That menu does look good, GG. :yum:

Last edited:
Well, it is basically onion soup reduced to just the onions. You don't need as much broth, obviously, but you can start to fry your onions down with what you would when you are making soup. Add garlic, thyme, pepper, sherry or red wine, parsley, and a bit of beef broth. Keep reducing until you get your onion jam. You can let it cool and use it however you want..Add it with Gruyere and/or Mozz in a grilled cheese and voila! French Onion!!

Last edited:
Well, it is basically onion soup reduced to just the onions. You don't need as much broth, obviously, but you can start to fry your onions down with what you would when you are making soup. Add garlic, thyme, pepper, sherry or red wine, parsley, and a bit of beef broth. Keep reducing until you get your onion jam. You can let it cool and use it however you want..Add it with Gruyere and/or Mozz in a grilled cheese and voila! French Onion!!
So, do you make up a batch and keep it handy in a jar in the fridge? It sounds tasty. Thanks for the instructions.

Back
Top Bottom