ISO Chopped Meat recipes/ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Being vegetarian/ vegan, chopped meat is one of the few things they got right when making a vegetarian counterpart. Although it doesnt adhere together like regular chopped meat does ( burgers, meatballs ...). it can be substituted very we'll in recipes like tacos, chili, sloppy joe ... and those kinda recipes.

I've used it as a layer in lasagna, stuffing tomatoes and peppers and even making a ' meat sauce'

My question is, Im looking for more variation , different ideas to use it with.

Just curious what you ' meat eaters'. do with chopped meat.
***remember, it doesnt really bind , so things like meatballs or burgers are out of the question.***

larry, my son has been making naked burrito bowls a lot lately. It is essentially the ingredients that would go in a burrito, but minus the wrap.

He starts by browning ground beef in a skillet over high heat. As it's browning, he sprinkles on a Southwestern style spice rub (cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, sugar, salt, pepper, etc.). Then he adds several splashes of Crystal or Texas Pete hot sauce.

While cooking the beef, he makes a pot on minute rice separately.

When the rice is ready, he mixes that into the beef, and also stirs in some grated jack cheese, or mozzarella.

It is served topped with guacamole and black beans, and corn tortilla chips on the side.

I've made a few dishes with fake ground beef, and I think this one would adapt itself well to it.

My wife has made stuffed cabbage with fake meat (ground "meat" and rice wrapped in softened cabbage leaves, then braised in a casserole with a thin tomato soup),

And stuffed peppers with Beyond beef.

Yes, it's granular nature can replace ground pork in many Asian dishes. The first that comes to mind is dumplings/wontons/shu mai/potstickers.

Or maybe Lobster Cantonese, or Shrimp in Lobster sauce.

I haven't had Lobster Cantonese in forever.

There are plenty of Chinese recipes which ask for minced pork - eggplant stirfry with pork is one of them.
You could also look at potstickers or gyosas.
Indian samosas could well be an option.
And then there`s always meatloaf. Use lentils or besan flour to help the mixture stick together.

Tamale pie. Meat, onions, poblano, spices, some liquid, thickener (use corn meal or masa) Brown it all up then put in the bottom of a casserole. Top with cornbread (Jiffy works), mixed with some cheese, scallions, etc. Bake. Serve with sour cream. All components are optional.

Sloppy joes
Lettuce wraps.

Tamale pie. Meat, onions, poblano, spices, some liquid, thickener (use corn meal or masa) Brown it all up then put in the bottom of a casserole. Top with cornbread (Jiffy works), mixed with some cheese, scallions, etc. Bake. Serve with sour cream.

Sounds right up my street!
Just curious though; if a tamale is basically corn meal wrapped in a corn husk (or perhaps a plantain leaf), how did this one get its name? I don´t see any similarities.

Sounds right up my street!

Just curious though; if a tamale is basically corn meal wrapped in a corn husk (or perhaps a plantain leaf), how did this one get its name? I don´t see any similarities.
Cornmeal and masa are not the same thing. Masa is ground from nixtamalized corn, which has been treated with lime to remove the skins from the corn kernels. It also converts the niacin in the corn to a form that can be digested by the body.

Also, tamales have some sort of filling inside the masa. It can be made of cooked, shredded meat or vegetables.

Last edited:
Cornmeal and masa are not the same thing. Masa is ground from nixtamalized corn, which has been treated with lime to remove the skins from the corn kernels. It also converts the niacin in the corn to a form that can be digested by the body.

Also, tamales have some sort of filling inside the masa. It can be made of cooked, shredded meat or vegetables.

Tamale pie goes by different names, depending on who's making it, i.e. enchilada pie, Mexican Lasagna, tamale pie - all the same thing. It can be made with masa Harina, but is also frequently made using fresh corn tortillas. And yes, it would work very nicely with TVP (textured vegetable protein, usually soy), or Wheat protein (seitan0. Be careful with it the TVP as it does have its own flavor, though it absorbs the flavors of the foods it is paired with.

Chief's Tamale Pie
This is my own version of this popular 70's/80's recipe. It comes out very flavorful. The only caveat is that it contains cheese, and I don't know if you consume cheese or not. You may be able to substitute the cheese with something else.

Ingredients:
  • 18 fresh corn tortillas
  • 1 lb. ground beef, chicken, or meat replacement crumbles
  • 2 cups vegetable broth (if using meat substitute)
  • 2 cups grated sharp cheddar, or cheese substitute
  • 2 cups enchilada sauce
  • 1 cup sliced black olives
  • 1 cup sautéed mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup fire-roasted peppers, in adobo sauce
  • 1/2 cup minced onion
  • 3 cloves garlic, crushed, or minced
  • 3 chipotle peppers, seeded and sliced
  • 2 tbs. cooking oil

Heat vegetable broth to a simmer. Add the meat substitute; remove from heat; and cover.

Heat vegetable oil over medium heat until it shimmers. Add onion. Cook for three minutes, or until translucent. Add the mushrooms, and garlic. Cook another three minutes. Add the enchilada sauce, and peppers in adobo sauce. Stir to combine. Cook for another five minutes, bringing the mixture to a simmer. Add the ground meat, or meat substitute. Simmer for ten minutes to reduce to a rich sauce mixture.

Place 2 tbs. cooking oil on the bottom of a casserole dish, or laof pan. Spred 3 tbs. of just the sauce over the bottom of the pan. Lay down enough tortillas to cover. Evenly spread sauce/meat mixture on top of the tortillas, followed by black olives, chipotle peppers, and shredded cheese. Top with another layer of tortillas and build as with the first layer. Top with final layer of tortillas, and cover with remaining sauce and cheese. Cover pan tightly with foil. Place in 350' F. oven. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil, and place under the broiler for 2 minutes, to brown the top a little. Serve with horchata, or your favorite beverage. Might I suggest flan for desert?

Tip: grilled corn on the cob, seasoned with Tex/Mes seasonings is a great side for the meal.

Enjoy.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Other meat substitute friendly recipes.

• Spaghetti with Ragu Bolognaise
  • Nachos
  • Chow mien/lo mien (use TVP chunks rather than crumbles)
  • General Tso Chicken
  • cashew Chicken
  • Sloppy Joes
  • Mongolian Seitan (like Mongolian Beef) - https://yupitsvegan.com/mongolian-seitan-vegan-beef/
  • Chili
  • Split Pea Soup
  • Bean Soup
  • Baked Beans
  • Rice Pilaf with mushrooms, and Saffron
  • Mock Chicken and dumplings
  • Seitan Kabobs with BBQ Sauce
  • Grilled Seitan burgers

You may have noticed that I put down more seitan recipes than TVP recipes. That's because seitan is more neutral in flavor, and so absorbs other flavors more readily than does TVP. Usually, TVP is used as a meat extender, with two parts meat, and 1 part TVP. Of course ther are many more things that can be made with both seitan, and TVP. However, this is a start. I have made most of the listed recipes, and they do taste very good. I hope some of them look interesting to you.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom