ISO Good Black Bean Soup Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Went out to a Mexican restaurant for my son's 21st birthday.
MY daughter got the Black Bean soup, which was edible. But it didn't seam like anything more than they just dumped a can of Black beans in a pot, thinned it out slightly with broth and seasoned it a bit.

Just curious what you guys do.

You don't have to vegetarian it up for me, Ill take care of that.
Just want to see what you guys like making.

Thanks

Larry

So far the best recipe I've tried is actually the black been chili which I have posted. Thinned out it would make a great soup, IMO. I've been recipe clipping from our collection of BA mags and I ran across a recipe for BB soup. I'll see if I can find a link to it. Haven't tried it, but most of the recipes we have tried from BA haven't disappointed us.

Larry, this recipe is one of the first ever I made from a TV cooking show. I'v since adjusted it to my preference but it's a keeper and the BB soup I measure all others against. You'll have to de-carnify it.

BLACK BEAN SOUP

1 Lb Dry Black Beans
½ Oz Chipotle Peppers
2 Tb Olive Oil
¼ Lb Pancetta, diced
1 Carrot, diced
1 Celery Stalk, diced
1 Onion, diced
4 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 tsp Cumin
2 Tb Tomato Paste
8 C Chicken Stock
1 or 2 Smoked Pork Hocks or
1 Ham Bone
Black Pepper
8 Oz Anduille Sausage
Sour Cream
Scallion

Prepare the beans for cooking according to package directions.

Soak the chipotles in hot water for 30 minutes then cut them open and remove the pith and seeds then chop them roughly.

In a 7½-8 Qt. saucepan, sauté the pancetta in the oil until the fat is rendered and the lean is golden. Add the diced vegetables and the cumin and sauté.

Add the tomato paste and sauté for an additional three minutes.

Add the stock, hocks, black pepper, beans and chipotle peppers and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 1½ to 2 hours. When a bean can be easily smashed between two fingers, cooking is done.

Remove the hocks. Puree the cooked mixture in a blender to thicken the soup.

Add the sausage and cook until heated through.

Serve with a garnish of sour cream and chopped scallions.

Larry, this recipe is one of the first ever I made from a TV cooking show. I'v since adjusted it to my preference but it's a keeper and the BB soup I measure all others against. You'll have to de-carnify it.

BLACK BEAN SOUP

1 Lb Dry Black Beans
½ Oz Chipotle Peppers
2 Tb Olive Oil
¼ Lb Pancetta, diced
1 Carrot, diced
1 Celery Stalk, diced
1 Onion, diced
4 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 tsp Cumin
2 Tb Tomato Paste
8 C Chicken Stock
1 Ham Bone
Black Pepper
8 Oz Anduille Sausage
Sour Cream
Scallion

Soak the chipotles in hot water for 30 minutes then cut them open and remove the pith and seeds then chop them roughly.

In a 7½-8 Qt. saucepan, sauté the pancetta in the oil until the fat is rendered and the lean is golden. Add the diced vegetables and the cumin and sauté.

Add the stock, hocks, black pepper, beans and chipotle peppers and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 1½ to 2 hours. When a bean can be easily smashed between two fingers, cooking is done.

Andy, my friend, that looks like an outstanding recipe. I may have to make some up. Now you've inspired me. I love black beans.

My own is about the same, except that I add no tomato product, or chicken stock. I let the pork and the beans do the talking, especially with the onion, black pepper, and cumin. For added depth, I add ground coriander as well.

BLACK BEAN SOUP

1 Lb Dry Black Beans
½ Oz Chipotle Peppers
2 Tb Olive Oil
¼ Lb Pancetta, diced
1 Carrot, diced
1 Celery Stalk, diced
1 Onion, diced
4 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 tsp Cumin
2 Tb Tomato Paste
8 C Chicken Stock
1 Ham Bone
Black Pepper
8 Oz Anduille Sausage
Sour Cream
Scallion

I will put this on my list of "things I must make soon" I prefer cooking with smoked pork necks that with ham hocks. Surely it would be better with home made pork stock which can also be made from necks with the usual added veggies and spices. I can almost taste it as I type.

Back
Top Bottom