ISO help cooking a rib roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The first time I ever made a prime four rib roast, I had no idea what I was doing. I had never made one before. So I went on line. And I found a recipe that sounded weird. It was from Paula Deen. When she was still popular. It sounded just weird enough that I thought it would work. So I gave it a try. Brought the roast upstairs to my daughter's home. Absolute Perfection. But I still think it is very weird!

You and your daughter lived in the same multi-family home, Addie? I don't remember you mentioning that before, but then my rememberer isn't always good. How long ago was it that you lived that close to each other? I know I would love it if we bought a home with housing for two or three families when we move back. A three-unit condo, with a kid on each end? Love it!

You and your daughter lived in the same multi-family home, Addie? I don't remember you mentioning that before, but then my rememberer isn't always good. How long ago was it that you lived that close to each other? I know I would love it if we bought a home with housing for two or three families when we move back. A three-unit condo, with a kid on each end? Love it!

It was about ten or a few more years ago. I was fighting to keep my leg. My daughter turned the basement (what used to be a construction office) into an apartment for me. I was in a wheel chair and there were times I needed around the clock care. Not a time I remember with fond memories.

If it hadn't been for her fighting for my leg, MGH would have cut it off at the very beginning of when the problem started. Once the plastic surgeon fixed my leg, I moved into my present address. I will always have a limp, and cannot go up a flight of stairs. But I can run down them backwards.

Like I tell everyone, everyone that moves into this building, comes here to die. I am ready!

I know I would love it if we bought a home with housing for two or three families when we move back. A three-unit condo, with a kid on each end? Love it!

Would Goober and Loverly love it, too? Didn't you say they are like city mouse and country mouse? Somehow I don't see them happily compromising in the suburbs :LOL:

Would Goober and Loverly love it, too? Didn't you say they are like city mouse and country mouse? Somehow I don't see them happily compromising in the suburbs :LOL:

I live about 45 seconds away from my daughter and about three minutes from Spike (by car). My youngest lives in Vermont. And I still have Pirate with me. And that will becoming to an end soon. That is close enough for me. On days when the weather is cooperating, I can reach my daughter and Spike on my scooter. I plug it in every night to keep it fully charged. It goes at about eight mph and can go 12 miles on one charge. They are out of sight, but close enough for emergencies. Perfect arrangement.

Loverly has actually said that living close-close would be fine. I think she's as tired of waiting to see us between our two trips in to OH as I am of making that drive twice a year. Not sure Himself and I want to go as "country" as she likes, but she's suburban OK. Meanwhile, Goober had told us while he was in college that he would get a high-paying job so he could support us and take care of us in our old age. He hasn't found the "high-paying" job yet, but we know where he could end up doing elder care. ;) :LOL:

My 2-bone roast came out really good last night. The remote probe thermometer brought doneness to perfection. I pulled the roast out of the oven at 125, rested, then cranked the oven to 500 for the final sear.
The crust was a bit salty so I'll use less salt next time.

Hm. Our local grocer advertised on TV rib roasts for $6.98 a lb. May just have to get me one!

Timely thread!

Ralph's/Kroger's have bone-in rib roasts on sale for 5.77/lb and boneless NY roasts for 4.77/lb. I picked up an 8 lb NY roast for Xmas.
I was in Sam's Club yesterday and they had bone-in rib roasts at 8.99/lb.

Costco is 3 hours away on a hwy subject to closure d/t snow and wind, this time of year. I think I'll pass. What I should do is buy a cow at auction and have it butchered.

I do plan Costco trips, just didn't think of Christmas rib roast back in July. Parents and I go down about every three months when the weather is fine. Now that I have the thought, rib roast will go on my Constant Costco List along with the toilet paper.

I bought ours yesterday at Harris Teeter for $6.99/lb., on sale from $10.99/lb. I got one that is close to four pounds, since my mom is coming now.

This year it'll just be Rob and me on Christmas day, no traveling since I'll be working the day after. I'll be doing prime rib, reverse sear Serious Eats method, really looking forward to it.

I'll be doing roasted Brussels sprouts (the only way I'll eat them) and crispy roasted potatoes ( also serious eats method) finally will be Yorkshire puddings/popovers to go with. I may use fat trimmed from the roast and render some for the Yorkshire puddings.

I'm really looking forward to just being the two of us for Christmas, nice low key no stress.

I do plan Costco trips, just didn't think of Christmas rib roast back in July. Parents and I go down about every three months when the weather is fine. Now that I have the thought, rib roast will go on my Constant Costco List along with the toilet paper.

Shaw's is having a two day sale on rib roast. $4.99 a pound, center rib cut and 4.29 per pound for end cut. Unfortunately, I don't have the money at the end of the month. Plus you have to spend an additional $25 above the cost of the roast to qualify for the sale price.

I too have a "Constant" list for Jet. Every other month I stock up on household cleaning supplies. But lately, my supplies have been lasting three months. I now have enough paper plates so that I won't be ordering them for the next six months. So I will be stocking up on paper towels and laundry detergent. Those two items will last me for at least or more than three months. It kills me to now spend money on taxable items when Jet will send them to me tax and shipping costs free.

Back
Top Bottom