ISO help/info on an ingredient unfamiliar to me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
I have a recipe I'd like to try this holiday season and it calls for glaceed angelica. I've Googled it and have a slight idea about what it is. However, I would prefer the expert opinions of the members here who might have more experience with it.

Firstly, it is not readily available in my region and I am wondering, too, if I can simply eliminate it or sub something else. The recipe I'm looking at is for what appears to be a traditional fruitcake (no wise cracks here, please) and the quantity of the angelica, relative to the rest of the ingredients is not great.

Please educate me.

Last edited:
Oh lordy. I grew angelica milleniums ago, and frankly, couldn't detect any difference from regular sweeteners, or sweet fruits.

Last edited:
I agree with Dawg, toss in some extra candied peel or citron.

The fruitcake haters won't care and the fruitcake aficionados won't notice! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Candied Angelica is usually used here to decorate cakes, Trifles, tarts etc. by, for instance, cutting delicate little strips to resemble 'leaves' each side of a half glace cherry and very pretty it looks too but if you substitute it in your recipe for extra orange or lime or lemon candied fruit you will be just fine. I wouldn't go to to hassle and expense of buying some just for that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom