ISO Horchata & Lassi Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lassi is very easy to make. Here are two recipes:

Regular Lassi

2 cups of plain yogurt
1 cup of milk or water
sugar to your liking
pinch of cardamom powder

Blend it all together until frothy. Serve chilled

Mango Lassi

2 cups of plain yogurt
1 cup of water
1 fresh mango cut up or 1/2 cup of mango pureed
sugar to taste

Blend it together until frothy. Serve chilled

Thanks for the recipes! With this link and recipes from others, I made my first batch of horchata last night and it is delicious! I made it with sweetened condensed but I'm impressed. I can't wait to make the lassi.

Thanks so much for the horchata recipe. I tried one the other day that was very gritty - you just soaked the raw rice for 2 hours and then blended it. Not good. h2oct, did you add the condensed milk to the recipe? It sounds good...I will try it right away. Karen

A couple of weeks ago, I made the mango lassi, but unfortunately the mango I used was too fibrous so i had "stringy" mango lassi. LOL Next time, I'll have to make it with another mango variety. Two nights ago, I made just sweet lassi and that was tasty. DH and brother loved it.

Karen, the horchata shouldn't be gritty. Did you strain the blended mixture through a very fine sieve? I modified the recipe a bit. I didn't have almonds available and a relative told me she sweetens hers with condensed milk. It is very refreshing. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Before the recipes, I can't believe I had paid $2+ per glass for each type of beverage! :0)

If you're lacking in ingredients, you can just head to a publix, and pick up a mango and some vanilla yoghurt. Blend them, i use a 2:1 mango:yoghurt ratio, but depending on how creamy you like it, you could change that up. I use no ice, if it must be chilled, stick it in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. Some put whole cubes of ice into lassis, but I am very much against ice in most beverages, I find it waters them down too much. Hope this helps

When I cannot get access to fresh mangoes for making the lassi, I always opt for the pulp mango that comes in a can. You can find them at any Indian store. I don't use the entire can (it's huge!) but I pour them into an ice cube tray and then freeze them. Remove the cubes and store in a zipper bag and store in the freezer for later use.

I start with a 4 tbsp or so and then adjust. I usually make a lot of lassi (an entire blender full) because it stays fine in the refrigerator and just like jake indicated if you want authentic lassi don't add cubed ice to it. Lassi should be thick not runny. Also if you can get your hands on greek or middleeastern yogurt the texture will be truer to an authentic lassi.

Texture should be like keffir (if you have tried it).

Back
Top Bottom