ISO recipe or ideas on Kale slaw that I had tonight at a restaurant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Went out to eat tonight at a fancy shmancy restaurant ( which is usually not my style, but it was a business thing).

Anyway, the dish I got came with a Kale slaw which was actually very good ( im usually not a big kale fan, so I was surprised how good it was).

Ill do my best to describe the dish and my thoughts. If any of you have come across similar recipes, id appreciate hearing about them. Im not looking to improve on what I ate, but just kinda recreate it.

What I know for sure:
Shredded kale, dried cranberries, corn kernels and Olive oil
The kale was not cooked, but was wilted by the oil

What Im guessing:
There was some kind of nut in it, I could tell more by texture than the taste itself . Could have been small pieces of walnut, pine but or something of that consistency. There weren't many, but enough to feel the texture ( was definitely not almonds or sunflower seeds)

It had a slight salty, and slight sweet flavor ( sweetness didn't just come with the cranberries , but with whatever vinaigrette it was tossed with.

Did not detect any vinegar, lemon or acidic component , although it may have been there at a very slight , undetectable level.

There also may have been shredded brussel sprouts or cabbage. I detected this more by visual than texture , but it definitely wasn't kale.

Almost forgot, no onion or garlic either

So, if this description rings a bell, point me in the right direction .

Thanks

Last edited:
Did you try to do a search for a copycat recipe online? I sometimes get lucky that way.

CD

Hmmm...okay, here's my take.

The kale was massaged first and left to sit for about 15 minutes, and then dressed.

This was going to be my suggestion - massaging the kale. This might give that "wilted" feel to the kale, Larry describes, and it helps the dressing, whatever you try, stick to it better. Things tend to run off of kale, and similar brassicas, left as is.

Kale used as a whole leafy green can be a bit hard to take. But using it as a component like this type of salad does is much more enjoyable.

Hope you find it. It sounds good to me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom