Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm about to start this book for my book club meeting next month: "These is my words : the diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901 : Arizona territories : a novel," by Nancy E. Turner.

It's based on the author's family memoirs. Here's a review: https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-06-039225-3

Ohmygosh GG!! That is one of my very favorite books of all time! Don't miss the two following books..Star Garden and Sarah's Quilt. I'm forever changed by Sarah Prine. What a remarkable woman. I also really enjoyed Nancy Turner's writing style.
You're gonna love it!!

Last edited:
Ohmygosh GG!! That is one of my very favorite books of all time! Don't miss the two following books..Star Garden and Sarah's Quilt. I'm forever changed by Sarah Prine. What a remarkable woman. I also really enjoyed Nancy Turner's writing style.
You're gonna love it!!
Great to know, Kay! I've barely started it and I'm enjoying it so far. I didn't know there was a series. Thanks.

Mom and I are reading 2 series by Catherine Coulter that tie together. The first is the "FBI" series, and the second is "A Brit in the FBI" series. FBI has about 24 books and Brit so far only has about 6 books.

I am reading #28 in the "Stone Barrington" series by Stewart Woods. I think there are over 50 books in this series. That is going to keep me busy for a long time. lol

My Recent Reading

Presently reading, "24 Hours in Ancient Rome" by Philip Matyszak.

This book is a blast with plenty of references to cooking and life centered
around food. Descriptions of the cuisine & condiments may shock you. But this slice of a day of a calendar year back then showcases the way Rome functioned. Teachers of Latin or History may enjoy this too.

Last book I enjoyed, "The Book of Unholy Mischief" by Elle Newmark.

This is a story about a Chef in Venice Italy, his family, his work, and some street kids at the beginning of the Renaissance. There's loads of intrigue in this tale and I actually hated to come to the end of it. Theological information was woven into the books of recipes quite cleverly by the Chef's of the time where they served as a secret underground clergy to preserve what some powerful people would like to destroy. Politicians would sack the town hunting for "The Book" (not realizing that it was disguised as a cook book) anytime rumors of it arose. Loads of suspense here in a well written story.

Last edited:
Presently reading, "24 Hours in Ancient Rome" by Philip Matyszak...

Last book I enjoyed, "The Book of Unholy Mischief" by Elle Newmark.
Thanks, I've made note of both of these. It looks like you like historical fiction involving food as much as I do ;) You might like these books by Crystal King: "Feast of Sorrow" about Apicius in ancient Rome, and "The Chef's Secret" set in medieval Venice. I loved the first one; the second one was just released, so I haven't read it yet. Looking forward to it, though.

Here's her website: https://www.crystalking.com/books-by-crystal-king

I've been reading "Licking the Spoon" by Candace Walsh and enjoyed. Also "Too Many Cooks" by Dana Bate...these are older books.
I loved "The Giver of Stars" by Jojo Moyes, and now I'm reading, "Hungry Mother Creek" by Heather Cobham. Catching up on my reading now that the holidays are over!

In a Field of Blue
Novel by Gemma Liviero

England 1922. It's been four years since Rudy's brother Edgar went missing in war-torn France. Still deep in mourning and grappling with unanswered questions, Rudy and his mother struggle to move on. When the enigmatic Mariette arrives unexpectedly at the family's manor claiming to be Edgar's widow, and the mother of his child, Rudy urges her to stay, hoping she'll shed light on the missing pieces.

Captivated by Mariette, Rudy finds that their mutual loss and grief bind them...as does the possibility of new love. But Mariette's revelations bring more questions than answers about Edgar's death. Suspicions threaten to divide Rudy's already fractured family, setting him on a quest for the truth that takes him from England to France and beyond.

In his search, Rudy is forced to confront the tragedies of war and the realities of the brother he's lost and the woman he's found. Will the truth set him free to find peace, or will it forever shadow his future?

I enjoyed reading this.. :)

Ross

As I mentioned earlier, reading the "Stone Barrington" series by Stuart Woods. Has or is anyone else read/reading these books? I am dying to discuss "Stone" with someone. If you know of him, you will understand why. lol

In a Field of Blue
Novel by Gemma Liviero

England 1922. It's been four years since Rudy's brother Edgar went missing in war-torn France. Still deep in mourning and grappling with unanswered questions, Rudy and his mother struggle to move on. When the enigmatic Mariette arrives unexpectedly at the family's manor claiming to be Edgar's widow, and the mother of his child, Rudy urges her to stay, hoping she'll shed light on the missing pieces.

Captivated by Mariette, Rudy finds that their mutual loss and grief bind them...as does the possibility of new love. But Mariette's revelations bring more questions than answers about Edgar's death. Suspicions threaten to divide Rudy's already fractured family, setting him on a quest for the truth that takes him from England to France and beyond.

In his search, Rudy is forced to confront the tragedies of war and the realities of the brother he's lost and the woman he's found. Will the truth set him free to find peace, or will it forever shadow his future?

I enjoyed reading this.. :)

Ross

Sounds good to me Ross. I just ordered it.

Thank you... I've added this to my library "wait list".. I'm #3 so I should have it soon..

Ross
Let us know what you think of it. I didn't know anything about this. I am deeply humbled by people who were so driven by their convictions. My Norwegian cousins, one of whom ended up in a concentration camp, were part of the Norwegian résistance. Question--could I ever have the courage and faith that they had?

I'm about to start this book for my book club meeting next month: "These is my words : the diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901 : Arizona territories : a novel," by Nancy E. Turner.

It's based on the author's family memoirs. Here's a review: https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-06-039225-3
You're gonna love it!!
Great to know, Kay! I've barely started it and I'm enjoying it so far. I didn't know there was a series. Thanks.
Kayelle, I finished the first one last week and ordered the next two through ThriftBooks - they arrived Friday. I really loved the first one, just started the second, and wanted to thank you again for letting me know about the sequels. It's fascinating reading.

Since I'm hosting the book club meeting on this book, I'm going to make tamales and buñuelos, in keeping with the theme [emoji2]

As I mentioned earlier, reading the "Stone Barrington" series by Stuart Woods. Has or is anyone else read/reading these books? I am dying to discuss "Stone" with someone. If you know of him, you will understand why. lol
I have read a lot of them only because my Dad brings them home. Not a fan--totally not realistic and not well written.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom