Lazy Food Prep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you are sqeezing citrus fruit for juice, but don't need the zest or peel at the time, remove it anyway and freeze it for later use. Use a zester or a vegetable peeler to remove the skin, not the pith.

Or, place strips of zest from a orange, or lemon, or lime in a canning jar, and pour vodka over it to cover. Mature in a refrigerator for 6 to 8 months, add the vodka to drinks, or stir a tablespoonful into desserts such as fruit salad, ice cream, or chocolate mousse.

Or add the strips to a container of sugar and store for at least 3 days before using for a citrus flavored sugar.

Here is another one I like.

Dry leftover bread to make bread crumbs in the oven til completely dry. Crush them either by hand or in a food processor. You can either freeze them - they will keep up to 6 months; or store them in a jar for about a month.

Or make croutons for stuffing by cutting the bread in cubes before lightly oiling/buttering and then drying them. I like to freeze these because of the oil and add chopped fresh herbs, chicken bouillon granules, chopped onions, and chopped celery. You have stuffing already made to use for your steak roll, your chicken or turkey, or your pork chops.

If you have to make one pie crust, why not triple or quaduple the recipe, and freeze the rest for later use.

Just remember:
Pie crust dough freezes better in a ball than rolled-out dough. A ball takes up little room in the freezer and it won't be broken when you shove in another half gallon of ice cream. Wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap. Thaw at room temperature, in the plastic to prevent it from drying out, until only slightly chilled. Proceed with your pie.

I do the same thing with biscuits. I make tons of them, and freeze them on a cookie sheet. Then I place them in bags for the freezer. When I want a couple for breakfast, that is all I take out. I let them thaw a little [maybe 20 minutes or so] on top of the pre-heating range, then bake them.

You are just full of good ideas today, choc! Thanks for the tips. LOL about shoving the next half gallon of ice cream in (always happens around here).

choclatechef said:
I do the same thing with biscuits. I make tons of them, and freeze them on a cookie sheet. Then I place them in bags for the freezer. When I want a couple for breakfast, that is all I take out. I let them thaw a little [maybe 20 minutes or so] on top of the pre-heating range, then bake them.

CC - Really? And the biscuits are just as luscious? I've been trying to figure out how to make these for post-Christmas dinner with DH's family, 'cause I just won't have time to do them 'a la minute'! TY SOOOOOO MUCH!

I had 2 biscuits at 7pm last night, and at 6pm, I had just taken the bag out of the freezer. I put them on an ungreased cookie sheet and set them on top of the range. At about 6:30 or so, I pre-heated the oven.

They were tender, golden, and rose nicely. I think because they are cold when going in the oven, they bake a few minutes more [I bake them at 475], but they are great.

Definately copying and pasting the pages here! ;) TONS of helpful ideas for me, for which I thank you all!

By the way, greetings and best wishes to all!!!

We need your lazy food prep ideas too Audeo. I know you have tons...when you get a chance to, post them.

Merry Christmas!

Back
Top Bottom