Learning how to cook better :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltSearSavor

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone!

My name is Luciano. Lately, I've been really into learning more about the fundamentals of cooking. I love cookbooks, classes, articles, etc. that really teach you about techniques, ingredients, and just how to make food tastier.

Don't get me wrong. I do still love a great recipe :) I'm just trying to gain the skillset to create my own instead.

I'm excited to join the forum. Thanks for having me!

Welcome to DC SSS!

think you have the right attitude - it is fully experience that will teach you new recipes!

Thank you!!! I've been trying to cook almost every meal - so hopefully that helps give me more practice :)

Another welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2]

One book I recommend to people just learning how to cook is Michael Ruhlman's "Ruhlman's Twenty." He describes what he considers to be the 20 basic techniques of cooking and provides several recipes to illustrate each one. This is from the introduction to the book:
The goals of Twenty are straightforward. 1) To identify and describe the fundamental techniques that all cooks, regardless of their skill or station, need and use. 2) To describe the techniques with the intent of getting at their nuances, how the techniques work, why they matter, the mechanisms that make them so pervasive and useful. 3) To photograph the techniques in a way that furthers an understanding of what they are and how and why they work. 4) To create recipes that showcase and provide practical applications for these far-reaching fundamentals.

When you look at the list of my techniques, you’ll notice that some appear to be ingredients rather than techniques. While they are ingredients, they are also tools, and the best tools have multiple uses. Using these tools—salt, water, acid, onion, egg, butter, flour, sugar—is technique. Each of these entities has multiple uses. Understanding all the uses of a single ingredient is like pumping steroids into your cooking muscles.

https://www.amazon.com/Ruhlmans-Twenty-Techniques-Recipes-Manifesto/dp/0811876438

Another welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2]

One book I recommend to people just learning how to cook is Michael Ruhlman's "Ruhlman's Twenty." He describes what he considers to be the 20 basic techniques of cooking and provides several recipes to illustrate each one. This is from the introduction to the book:

https://www.amazon.com/Ruhlmans-Twenty-Techniques-Recipes-Manifesto/dp/0811876438

I haven't heard of that book yet! Sounds right up my alley. Really appreciate you sharing. Adding it to my (long) list :)

Back
Top Bottom