Lemon Pie...or Tart???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, Andy. We don't have a digital camera. (I'm not making this up. We must be the last household in Canada to not have one.) :mad:

from scratch with the recipe from an old (1950) cookbook I have.

HEY! :ohmy: Watch it Petunia, be careful about what you call OLD. I've never taken a survey but I would have to say the mean average age here is.... oh well, never mind. Just don't mess with your elder's new bought cookbooks!
:LOL: just kidding, OK?:LOL:

E-Fox, I look at PIE as the overall category and TART as a sub-set. That is, all tarts are pies but not all pies are tarts...

Andy Right on!
img_1489283_0_3aa065f0c8692736e66f6eb44347d457.gif

foxy - very interesting, Thanks! Enjoy the humble Eel Pie.. (shudder, blech.. )

Last edited:
Report on my first lemon tart:

I used pastry flour instead of the all purpose flour that the recipe said. Just being difficult and different, which is my wont.

I guess I overbaked the poor thing, as the crust, a little too dark, stuck in places and I had to work it away from the sides and the disk with a knife, but eventually it separated and looked pretty good. I used a deep-type tart pan with large flutes - you know, wide scallops, a quiche pan - which I guess is not what is usually done or recommended for this type of tart. But that is all I have on hand. A nice tin one made in France, rather old.

It tasted just great, having substited some orange juice for some of the lemon. The filling was just right by my guess - not too solid but slightly pudding-y.

It's all gone now. Tee-hee...we are sated.

This topic, opening with my simple question, has sure gotten entertaining. Thanks a bunch, folks!:LOL::LOL::LOL: With a special thank you to handy Andy.

Thanx, Mad Cook for your encouragement. I like your attitude.

I am more or less of a good cook, but baking - I panic. That's why I'm here begging for my betters' advice.

So to make a long story short, a lemon tart would have a sweetish crust, is that correct. You add sugar & egg, but with lemon pie, you don't. I don't get it.:LOL::LOL::LOL:
Personally, I think you can use either sweet pastry or an ordinary pastry, according to your choice but other people may differ. It isn't written in stone. Enjoy your baking (and the subsequent eating:))

I like a sweet butter pastry for my tarts. Oh, I should make some lemon curd and fill tart shells...

Lemon Meringue Pie is made with flour, cornstarch and egg yolks, no zest.

Lemon Curd uses eggs and zest.

My homemade lemon meringue filling has fresh lemon juice, lemon zest, butter, sugar, cornstarch and egg yolks. No flour.

I'm sure there are variations, point is Lemon Meringue Pie uses a starch as the main thickener.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom