Let's quit tobacco together!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry, but I disagree DQ, just because I smoke does not mean I am suddenly stupid or my IQ just dropped 30 points. I don't think the argument that only stupid people smoke would hold up, and is rather offensive to be honest not to mention stereotypical.
Bless you that you found it so easy to quit, I really wish it was that easy for the rest of us as well. But as my own doctor has put it, she has had more success getting people off crack than cigarettes. She also believes, thru observation and agreement with others in her profession, that todays cigarettes are as addictive if not more so than some illegal drugs today. They are purposely made that way by the cigarette companies.

Maverick, I didn't mean my post to be offensive or insulting. Remember I too smoked for 35 years until I got smart. When I said "stupid" I meant for you to think about spending up to $6.00 per day for cigarettes - that's about $180. per month - so complaining about the cost of gas is ludicrous. Why would anyone continue or start to smoke with that in mind along with the fact that you smell awful, are hopelessly tied to cigarettes, and know that it kills hundreds of thousands of people each year not to mention the array of illnesses that smoking causes. My husband suffered 4 heart attacks in 26 years. The doctors said that if he had been a smoker he would not have survived the first one. I guess I'm wondering why smart people start in the first place, knowing all this. Smoking is no longer cool. It IS possible to stop smoking. Millions have done it. I know I'm going to get flack on this one, but keep in mind, I have been smoke free for 22 years. YOU CAN DO IT.

DQ, I hope you will consider that everyone is different and faces different challenges. Your experience, i.e., "I kicked the habit by deciding to do it and my mindset kept me from ever craving a cigarette." is clearly somewhat unique, and as Buddy points out, the chemical composition of cigarettes may indeed be different than it was 22 years ago. Nobody WANTS to smoke. I don't know about Buddy's IQ (although I have my suspicions that it is off the charts), but I do know that my own is well above normal, and therefore I am generally regarded as "intelligent." Insulting people is really not a productive way to motivate them. I accept that you did not intend to be insulting, but in the interests of maintaining harmony here, it is sometimes a good idea to re-read your post before you click "submit."

I envy people who can convince themselves to stop a bad habit and have success. I am not one of those people. I have an inner voice that may be helpful sometimes, like when it tells me not to speed past that radar trap or not to walk down a dark alley at 3 am, but it also tells me "I can do whatever I want to do, I shouldn't let people push me around, I LIKE to smoke and I work hard for my money, so it's nobody's business what I spend my money on".

The patch was a crutch that helped me ignore my "bad" inner voice and hear my "good" but often hard to hear inner voice.

it's nobody's business what I spend my money on.
I agree with this, but only to a point. If and when you get sick because of smoking that will cost money. That will most likely be paid for by insurance. The insurance companies need to get that money back somehow. Guess who pays for that? It is not just the smokers.

DH quit smoking about 8 years ago but has also started smoking those mini cigars in the last year or so which makes me very nervous ! He only smokes one or two a weekend - sometimes not even - and he insists he won't start smoking again. I told him if he starts again he's sleeping in the garage until he quits again!

I quit 16 years ago, my husbands whole family smoked so we quit together. Everyone is still a non smoker except my dumb husband, he started smoking the mini cigars with the notion that it was different because they were mini cigars not cigaretts. I could kill him. Oh yeah and I don't allow him to smoke in the house, in my car, or anywhere around me or my kids. The one thing I know is you have to set your own mind to quitting.

DramaQueen, your posts in this thread have been self righteous and insulting. Not exactly supportive to those of us who are making an effort to do something difficult here. It would be nice if you would stop it.

i agree- my thread was meant to be supportive.
&to those who've quit, or work towards quitting, GREAT job!!!!!

I agree with this, but only to a point. If and when you get sick because of smoking that will cost money. That will most likely be paid for by insurance. The insurance companies need to get that money back somehow. Guess who pays for that? It is not just the smokers.

You mean the insurance companies aren't making a profit?? Sorry, just had to throw that out there... I understand your point, but that is also the nature of insurance and variable premiums. The same argument can be applied to alcoholism as well, not just the alcoholics pay for their health problems.
You can make the same argument about many many things people out there do today, but until all the multi-billion dollar a year profit making insurance companies go broke I just aint gonna worry about them!

Public supported health insurance though, that is a much different beast and a much tougher issue.

Maverick, I didn't mean my post to be offensive or insulting. Remember I too smoked for 35 years until I got smart. When I said "stupid" I meant for you to think about spending up to $6.00 per day for cigarettes - that's about $180. per month - so complaining about the cost of gas is ludicrous. Why would anyone continue or start to smoke with that in mind along with the fact that you smell awful, are hopelessly tied to cigarettes, and know that it kills hundreds of thousands of people each year not to mention the array of illnesses that smoking causes. My husband suffered 4 heart attacks in 26 years. The doctors said that if he had been a smoker he would not have survived the first one. I guess I'm wondering why smart people start in the first place, knowing all this. Smoking is no longer cool. It IS possible to stop smoking. Millions have done it. I know I'm going to get flack on this one, but keep in mind, I have been smoke free for 22 years. YOU CAN DO IT.

I am not holding anything against you, I understand what you are trying to say I just think there was a better way to say it. And far be it from me to judge when I myself have submitted posts before that I should have read not only a second time but maybe a third time.
The biggest difference is 22 years ago they did not add in the additives they do today. They have made cigarettes now up to 5x more addictive then they were, and some in the medical community are now saying quiting smoking ranks up there with meth and cocaine addiction. Not sure if I buy into it being that bad, but it is much harder than it used to be to kick the habit.
That being said, with 2 heart attacks under my belt, a triple by-pass, and my COPD getting worse by the day, oh and now facing the prospect of perhaps more surgery, I really do need to quit, and fast.
But, you get more flies with honey than vinegar DQ. Cheer people on, support them, be there for them and maybe you can play a part in helping them quit. Your story can be inspirational, and should be put out there for us to draw strength and hope from.
Nagging, belittling, etc will only stir resentment and drive them away...

Insurance is risk-adjusted, and the insurance companies make very healthy profits. I understand the concept, and spent a good portion of my professional career lobbying for seat belt legislation, mandatory child protection seats, mandatory motorcycle helmets and tougher penalties for drunk drivers - using the same logic. But there are so many diseases that are lifestyle-related, where do you start and stop imposing penalties? Do you also know that smoking has demonstrated a protective effect against Parkinson's Disease, Alzheimer's Disease and certain types of endometrial cancer and breast cancer? I don't think the arguments are entirely conclusive.

You mean the insurance companies aren't making a profit?? Sorry, just had to throw that out there... I understand your point, but that is also the nature of insurance and variable premiums. The same argument can be applied to alcoholism as well, not just the alcoholics pay for their health problems.
You can make the same argument about many many things people out there do today, but until all the multi-billion dollar a year profit making insurance companies go broke I just aint gonna worry about them!

Public supported health insurance though, that is a much different beast and a much tougher issue.
I agree that the same can be said for alcoholism as well as many many many others things (drug abuse, people who are overweight, people who do not wear their seatbelts, and the list goes on). My point though is that it is not as simple as saying that it is my life and I can do what I want. Your choices affect others in many many ways. You can think that smoking is only harming you, but that is not always true.

I agree that the same can be said for alcoholism as well as many many many others things (drug abuse, people who are overweight, people who do not wear their seatbelts, and the list goes on). My point though is that it is not as simple as saying that it is my life and I can do what I want. Your choices affect others in many many ways. You can think that smoking is only harming you, but that is not always true.

Very true, there is also second hand smoking and then of course the example we are setting doesn't help either...heck you could even mention the time it takes for the filters to break down in landfills, LOL.
But yes, not a simple thing at all.

My point though is that it is not as simple as saying that it is my life and I can do what I want.
Oh, GB - I could not agree with you more! I am a strong believer that we all share a collective responsibility for one another, but I don't think I have ever really applied that principle to smoking. Maybe you have planted a seed that will finally give me the motivation that I need. Thanks.

If you do decide to try to quit Karen then I am behind you 100% and will support you in any way that would help.

Sorry dude, I'll spend my money how I please. I could care less what others think. I work for it, I deal with the consequeneses of making it, and I'll do what I please with it. I don't put my behind on the line everyday for others comfort.

Hey don't take me wrong Jeekinz. I am not saying that you should not spend your money however you want. I am only saying that smoking affects other people in ways that people do not always think about.

Bro, usually people start smoking because of a mistake in their life. It's not like the MEAN to throw second hand smoke at people or anything like that. It's hard enough trying to deal with the addiction than worry about others feelings on it.

Bottom line is it stinks, and most would rather not be addicted, but it is what it is for some.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom