Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know, Cheryl! And I have serious issues - we don't have a means of recording, and this could be the very last week of baseball games for me this year. :ermm: Monday was "Bull" (not sure how I like the kinder, gentler Bull...), but there was no baseball game. Tuesday night? One eye on the TV for both "NCIS" series, and one eye on my phone display to "watch" the game. Not much watching, since my Indians were winning 4-0 before their opponent ever had a chance to bat. No conflict of schedule Wednesday, since I haven't latched on to any show. Thursday? Lots of double-timing there ahead. Friday shouldn't be bad - all I watch that night is "Blue Bloods" and I might be lucky enough to have the baseball game over by then.

First World Problems, right? :cool:

:LOL: Yes, definitely! LOL. I'm thinking that Bull will get back to his normal self - he's in impending fatherhood now and the new series is just beginning. Loved to see Benny walk back in at the last moment after their feud and save the day, we knew he would. :LOL:

Also looking forward to the series premiere of Blue Bloods! Love that show.

Speaking of NCIS...my little grandsons got to meet Mark Harmon and watch an episode of NCIS being filmed on their grandma and grandpa's property. They were shy with getting their pic taken, but they loved watching the filming and seeing a fake 'corpse' walking around in between takes. LOL
They've grown up with Halloween parties and fake stuff doesn't scare them. LOL

Attachments

• Mark Harmon with my grandsons on a movie set.jpg
    Mark Harmon with my grandsons on a movie set.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
...they loved watching the filming and seeing a fake 'corpse' walking around in between takes. LOL
They've grown up with Halloween parties and fake stuff doesn't scare them. LOL
I'd enjoy watching a walking corpse, too! While our kids never grew up with Halloween parties or fake stuff, they always had a good grasp of pretend and real. When "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" came out, our kids were four. We rented the tape a year or two later (yup, no DVDs yet) and tried to shuffle the kids off to bed, but they wanted to stay up. Well, Loverly ended up watching half the movie hiding behind the couch or tucking her face into Himself's chest. :LOL: Goober, on the other hand, practically crawled into the TV with each special effects kind of thing (like pulling the heart from the chest cavity) asking "how do they DO that?". He was absolutely mesmerized.

Do you know which episode was filmed at the grandfolks' place, Cheryl? It would be fun knowing to watch for it when that episode comes around.

I was just blown away by the first episode of New Amsterdam . Cheryl, I know it's one of your favorites too, and wondering if you've seen it yet. The episode was so well done and kept us on a roller coaster trying to figure out who died in the ambulance accident the show ended with last season. What a gut punch at the very end. WOW

I'd enjoy watching a walking corpse, too! While our kids never grew up with Halloween parties or fake stuff, they always had a good grasp of pretend and real. When "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" came out, our kids were four. We rented the tape a year or two later (yup, no DVDs yet) and tried to shuffle the kids off to bed, but they wanted to stay up. Well, Loverly ended up watching half the movie hiding behind the couch or tucking her face into Himself's chest. :LOL: Goober, on the other hand, practically crawled into the TV with each special effects kind of thing (like pulling the heart from the chest cavity) asking "how do they DO that?". He was absolutely mesmerized.

Do you know which episode was filmed at the grandfolks' place, Cheryl? It would be fun knowing to watch for it when that episode comes around.

Loved the story of your (then) 4 yr. old twins watching the Indiana Jones movie, CG! Little kids are so entertaining. :LOL:

As for that episode of NCIS, I'm sure it's already aired. That pic was a year or two ago. I had just remembered I had the pic of them with Harmon when you mentioned NCIS, so thought I'd share it. :LOL: BTW, the studios pay a pretty penny to allow filming on private property, so my SIL's parents are always willing to allow film crews. They get paid something like $4000 a day. :blink:

I was just blown away by the first episode of New Amsterdam . Cheryl, I know it's one of your favorites too, and wondering if you've seen it yet. The episode was so well done and kept us on a roller coaster trying to figure out who died in the ambulance accident the show ended with last season. What a gut punch at the very end. WOW

:ohmy: Holy cow, that WAS really well done!! I watched it this morning. Like the entire universe :LOL: I also thought it would be Dr. Sharpe that died in the accident, along with the ambulance driver. But....there were clues, even before Dr. Sharpe showed up well and revealed she had been away on business when the crash happened.

I had a sinking suspicion early on in this episode that it was Max's wife Georgia who died, when Max brought his infant daughter to work and turned her over to the hospital day care. I thought hmmm..... Also, Georgia was the only one on the show who had very little presence and air time, so figured she would be the one they killed off. When the baby was crying in those home scenes and Georgia never actually got up to tend to the baby, it kind of clinched it that she was imaginary in Max's mind...

I love this show, one of the best ever, IMO!
(.... I hope I didn't spoil this for anyone who's watching it and hadn't seen this episode yet....LOL)

Last edited:
we don't have a means of recording,
What kind of service do you have? Over the air or cable/satellite? I highly recommend having DVR service, even if it means paying $10-$15/month. It's a big time saver and you skip the commercials. I use to think it was a waste of money but when you think of the time saved, it's worth it. In a lot of the triple play bundles, DVR service is essentially free. Comcast Xfinity DVR is a nice service where it stores the recordings in the cloud so you could watch it away from the house. I currently have Verizon but my contract is up for renewal in Nov so I will probably switch back to Comcast or cancel Verizon but sign up under my wife's name. $90/month for Gigabit internet, 1 cable TV/DVR and phone (we don't use) is pretty good. The other TVs just have FireTV streaming.

BTW, the studios pay a pretty penny to allow filming on private property, so my SIL's parents are always willing to allow film crews. They get paid something like $4000 a day. :blink:

Recently my church had an independent film crew use our parking lot to stage equipment and wanted use of our dumpster. I think initially they offered $100/day but we pushed them to $300/day. No where close to your $4K daily number but $4K for 2 weeks is not bad. Helps with the finances!

As for TV watching, I started "The Spy" on Netflix featuring Sasha Baron Cohen. Pretty good so far.

What kind of service do you have? Over the air or cable/satellite?...
Um...how about an eight-foot antenna mounted under our roof in the attic? We do have a VCR, but never bothered hooking it up to the digital TV because anything recorded would be low quality. We have a tower computer connected to the TV, but its motherboard died a year or two ago. Himself hasn't bothered replacing it since. I'm fine with missing things here and there, although I do try to keep up with drama type series. Himself was the one who would watch all sorts of stuff online through Hulu. However, he's able to find videos that he wants to watch on his tablet, all free to see. We aren't much TV watchers. And we're so old school there are separate schoolhouse doors for Girls and Boys - but it works for us. :LOL:

Watching a Police show, doesn't even matter wich one, they all do it. An officer, undercover, walks toward an unsuspected would be criminal, and instead of getting right next to him/her, an officer starts creaming "Police" a mile away. Obviously it is to create the suspense moment in the show, the chace and so on. But it is becoming annoying and pathetic. Enough already. No professional police would be screaming police like that.

Watching a Police show, doesn't even matter wich one, they all do it. An officer, undercover, walks toward an unsuspected would be criminal, and instead of getting right next to him/her, an officer starts creaming "Police" a mile away. Obviously it is to create the suspense moment in the show, the chace and so on. But it is becoming annoying and pathetic. Enough already. No professional police would be screaming police like that.

I agree Charlie. It's laughable how the cops give them a running head start..makes no sense at all. Enough already is right.:wacko:

I agree Charlie. It's laughable how the cops give them a running head start..makes no sense at all. Enough already is right.:wacko:

SO's favorite comment when the bad guys are getting away in a car/van/truck and the cops are shooting non-stop: "Aim for the tires!" They never do.

Jeannie is off traveling through Vegas and the Cali coast so, I'm spending a lot of time watching food programs on Netflix..
Today I came across an episode of Chefs Table which I recommend for those who enjoy Mexican food, especially those who have eaten really good Barbacoa.

This is the story of Christina Martinez..
"Cristina Martinez is a Mexican chef and immigration activist in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Martinez is a native of Capulhuac, Mexico, and she is an undocumented immigrant who crossed the border from Juárez into the United States." Wikipedia

While the episode made my mouth water with her barbacoa preparation, it was her story which really got to me.. I hope that those of you that have seen this or are interested in a very poignant story will agree that this is a worthwhile show to watch..

An internet segment about Christina's restaurant.. https://philly.eater.com/2019/4/15/...tina-martinez-mexican-restaurant-philadelphia

The show is on Netflix.. Chefs Table, Series 5-Episode 1 :)

Ross

Last edited:
Jeannie is off traveling through Vegas and the Cali coast so, I'm spending a lot of time watching food programs on Netflix..
Today I came across an episode of Chefs Table which I recommend for those who enjoy Mexican food, especially those who have eaten really good Barbacoa.

This is the story of Christina Martinez..
"Cristina Martinez is a Mexican chef and immigration activist in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Martinez is a native of Capulhuac, Mexico, and she is an undocumented immigrant who crossed the border from Juárez into the United States." Wikipedia

While the episode made my mouth water with her barbacoa preparation, it was her story which really got to me.. I hope that those of you that have seen this or are interested in a very poignant story will agree that this is a worthwhile show to watch..

An internet segment about Christina's restaurant.. https://philly.eater.com/2019/4/15/...tina-martinez-mexican-restaurant-philadelphia

The show is on Netflix.. Chefs Table, Series 5-Episode 1 [emoji2]

Ross
I've watched that episode a couple of times. I agree, it's a very interesting story and the food looks great.

Rhiannon Giddens on PBS Tonight

A lot of people here were interested in Ken Burns's recent documentary, "Country Music." Rhiannon Giddens, one of my favorite musicians, was frequently mentioned and interviewed in that series and promotions for it.

She will be featured on a segment of tonight's Amanpour and Company on PBS.

I'm looking forward to it.

"For Sama" A Documentary about the Siege of Aleppo

I watched For Sama on PBS Frontline tonight. It is a documentary, shot on a mobile phone by a young mother addressed to her infant daughter. I was moved. I hope you watch it too.
IMDB
RottenTomatoes
The Guardian
I'm a cynical old man. You younger, smarter, better-educated folk, should appreciate it even more.

Started watching MadMen on Netflix two or three weeks ago. Up to Season 4. Very good TV.

Maybe I should switch to that. Started watching Lost in Space on Netflix. The weather is so cold a whole lake froze in the matter of seconds, and yet people are walking without heats and their ears and noses are not even red. That's just bad.

Yes, Mad Men is a great series. I enjoyed it. I was impressed with how well they recreated the 60s with the clothes and set pieces. I like period dramas like Mad Men. Some other shows that I enjoyed are: Boardwalk Empire, Masters of Sex, Fargo.

While I was away skiing at Jay Peak, I started watching the series "You" on Netflix. My teenage daughters have been watching it so I got into it. It's a thriller about a stalker. Apparently the show was on Lifetime but didn't get renewed after one season but got picked up by Netflix.

I'm also watching "The Crown".

A milestone for me is that I have truly "cut the cord". Just switched from Verizon to Comcast for service but this time, I only got internet. No double-play or triple-play packages. I sort of was cutting the cord before as my TV only had streaming content but my wife's TV was still using the cable box. For TV content, we're using Youtube TV (shared with two other people), Netflix, and Amazon. Will probably pause Netflix for a few months to watch HBO at some point.

Thanks for the input on You. It's near the top of my ToStream list. Watching 2nd season of Killing Eve at the moment.
Re MadMen: I praised it here when I was up to season 4. Overall great TV but to be honest, I wish I hadn't bothered with season 7.
I thought S3 of The Crown was very interesting and well-done, but odd in some way. You mention how well MadMen covered the '60s. Watching the same period from the vantage point of British Royalty felt strange because the events were familiar but the perspective was alien.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom