Looking for 3, 4, and 5 ingredient recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
I am sick of recipes that have 10 or 12 steps to follow and therefore am looking for recipes with easy and few steps to follow. Any suggestions?

Lentil soup is fast and easy. 50 minutes start to finish.

10 cups water.
1 lb brown or green lentils
Put that on the stove and start cleaning and dicing and add to pot:
1 large onion
3 potatoes
1 squash (butternut or other type)
and 1 box or bag-10 oz of chopped spinach or a green you like.

It will take 20 minutes to get those vegetables in it. Leave it on high heat.
Now add some spices, herbs, flavors while it is cooking another 30 minutes.
Lemon juice (1/3 cup), bay leaves, cumin, coriander, oregano, garlic, black pepper, and salt to taste.

At the 50 minute mark the vegetables will be softened and the lentils starting to lose shape, it is ready to eat. (don't eat the bay leaves) This makes around 4 qts. More if you used a large squash or more potatoes or onions, then add a little water, then you'll get 5 qts. It freezes great.

1 box Cavatapi noodles
19 oz. chunky garden style pasta sauce
1 lb. ground beef
3 cloves minced garlic
2 cups water.

Place beef into a pot and brown. Leave chunky. Put remaining ingredients into a pot. Bring to simmer, Cover and cook for 25 minutes. serve with crusty bread, grated cheese, and butter.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
This was dinner the other night. Very easy if you like to grill.

EMERIL LAGASSE-EMERIL AT THE GRILL

Filipino-Inspired Adobo Chicken Thighs

1 1/4 cups plus 1 TB. cider vinegar
1/2 cup plus 1 TB. soy sauce
1/4 cup minced garlic
2 bay leaves
2 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
1/4 cup honey
Olive oil, for brushing
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

1. Combine 1/4 cup of the vinegar, 3 TB. of the soy sauce, garlic and bay leaves in a resealable plastic bag. Add the chicken thighs and turn to coat them evenly. Seal the bag and marinate the chicken for at least 4 hours in the refrigerator.
2. Preheat a grill to medium.
3. Combine 1 cup of the remaining vinegar, the remaining 1/4 cup plus 2 TB. soy sauce and the honey in a 1 qt. saucepan. Bring to a boil and immediately turn down to a simmer. Continue to cook until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon and is reduced by half, 11 to 13 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 TB. vinegar. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
4. Remove the chicken from the bag (discard the marinade), and pat it dry with paper towels. Brush the chicken with olive oil and season it with the salt and pepper. Place the chicken on the grill and cook, turning frequently, until it is just cooked through and thermometer registers 165 F, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a platter, drizzle the sauce over it and serve.

Source: Food and Wine Best of the Best Cookbooks-Emeril Lagasse-"Emeril At The Grill"

I'm curious to know what level of "from scratch" you are looking for. I have a number of quick, easy meals that I use occasionally.

The easiest meals often involve frozen vegi mixes.

When I could still eat canned tomatoes without consequences, I used to make a quick pork dish:
Brown some pork chops or cutlets, but don't cook them all the way to done.
Add some minced garlic, if you like. Stir that around on the pan for about a half a minute.
Add some stewed-with-vegis canned tomatoes.
Add some oregano and/or other herbs you like and let it all simmer until the tomatoes and vegis are hot and the meat is cooked through.
Serve over rice or pasta or even over potatoes.

I am sick of recipes that have 10 or 12 steps to follow and therefore am looking for recipes with easy and few steps to follow. Any suggestions?

You might consider some 50's style casseroles/ hot dish recipe's (noodle, soup can sauce and precooked meat)

How about baked chicken pieces, a cooked rice dish on the side (you can use plain rice or a boxed just add water mix) and some frozen green beans?

Ham, baked sweet potatoes and salad?

Easy, one pan chicken dinner:
1 roaster chicken, with giblets
3 Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered
3 carrots, washed and cut into 1 inch wide rounds
3 tbs. soft butter
garlic powder
onion powder
2 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp salt
3 tbs. cooking oil

Remove giblets, and neck, and place into a pot of water. Add enough chicken broth to cover, and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375' F.
Dry chicken inside, and out with paper towels. Rub the outside of the bird with butter. season inside and out with the garlic, onion, salt, and pepper.

Evenly coat the bottom of a roasting pan with the cooking oil. Add the veggies, and stir to coat them with oil. Place the chicken onto a roasting rack, and place into the roasting pan. Insert a leave-in meat thermometer into the thickest part of the breast, pushing the tip next to, but not touching the thigh/body joint. Set it to signal at 157' F. Place all into the oven. Just walk away. No basting required.

When the thermometer signals, remove the roasting pan. Let the bird rest for 20 minutes. Use the broth that was made earlier to make gravy. Use, or discard the giblets as you desire. Enjoy your meal.

If so desired, replace the potatoes wit stove top stuffing.

Tip, the carcass can be used to make chicken soup.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
A great source for recipes utilizing small ingredient lists are the three book series by Leslie Revsin "The Simpler the Better". Most everything is cooked from scratch in 3 easy steps. All recipes I have tried have turned out very well.

george, I'm guessing that when you say "3-4-5 ingredients" that you aren't including seasonings in that number? Otherwise the choices are limited. :LOL:

If I could make "Shrimp Destin" twice a month and get away with it, I would. It's easy, tasty, and can be economical if you find shrimp on sale or use a different protein like chicken. I'll put the link here, but I'll also add it to the thread "Wonderpots or One-Pot Meals" since that thread already has a lot of one-pot suggestions that you might find work for you. I'll also add my variations to this recipe in that thread.

Southern Living Skillet Shrimp Destin with Orzo

A great source for recipes utilizing small ingredient lists are the three book series by Leslie Revsin "The Simpler the Better". Most everything is cooked from scratch in 3 easy steps. All recipes I have tried have turned out very well.

A, seemingly excellent cook book suggestion. Thank you. :)

Ross

george, I'm guessing that when you say "3-4-5 ingredients" that you aren't including seasonings in that number? Otherwise the choices are limited. :LOL:

If I could make "Shrimp Destin" twice a month and get away with it, I would. It's easy, tasty, and can be economical if you find shrimp on sale or use a different protein like chicken. I'll put the link here, but I'll also add it to the thread "Wonderpots or One-Pot Meals" since that thread already has a lot of one-pot suggestions that you might find work for you. I'll also add my variations to this recipe in that thread.

Southern Living Skillet Shrimp Destin with Orzo

One of Jeannie's fave meals. I have made a version of this recipe (usually without wine, as there is seldom any in the home) a number of times. I can't recall if the recipe came from you, in DC.
Its been many years since I've followed SL.

Ross

I do like Southern Living recipes. This one is one of my favorites.

If you don't normally keep a bottle (or box :whistling ) of wine in the house, I suppose a four-pack of the little one-serving bottles would be good to have on hand for dishes like this. They usually run around six ounces or so a bottle, so you either need to burn of a little extra liquid...or have a leftover sip for the cook. ;)

3 more suggestions--

Fettuccine alfredo You can add sliced or shredded rotisserie or leftover chicken, or a veggie such as broccoli or asparagus.

Quiche. Use a prepared pie crust and whatever fillings you prefer Leftovers for next day.

Meatloaf. Pop a potato into bake along with the meatloaf.

Does your store have those pork tenderloins by Hormel?

I usually put one in the crock pot (I love the honey mustard ones) and then when it's done and resting, I'll make some boxed mashed potatoes and add Boursin cheese to them, either shallot and chive or garlic and herbs.

That takes the flavor of the mashed potatoes to another level. Yeah, it can be expensive, but it's an easy dinner.

French & Italian home cooking: "I Know How to Cook" & "The Silver Spoon" both have more than 1,000 recipes.

Greek baked chicken: rub oregano under the skin. Bake.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom