Mon. Feb. 12, '24 Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mexican meatball tacos
20240212_182107.jpg

I had some time on my hands, so I made Sous Vide Duroc Pork Chops ala @caseydog ...
IMG_3592.JPG

... one is bone-in ☝🏼
IMG_3593.JPG

... and one ☝🏼 was boneless, so I made up a frozen "TV Dinner" for my Mother, along with a small jar of my homemade Apple Sauce.
I also made some Air Fryer Potatoes for all, my first time trying that, they were very good!
And I'll be looking for that Duroc Pork Chop again, very good! So much better than any other Pork I've had since I was a kid.

I had some time on my hands, so I made Sous Vide Duroc Pork Chops ala @caseydog ...
View attachment 67967
... one is bone-in ☝🏼
View attachment 67968
... and one ☝🏼 was boneless, so I made up a frozen "TV Dinner" for my Mother, along with a small jar of my homemade Apple Sauce.
I also made some Air Fryer Potatoes for all, my first time trying that, they were very good!
And I'll be looking for that Duroc Pork Chop again, very good! So much better than any other Pork I've had since I was a kid.

I had to do a search on Duroc Pork Chop. The marketing folk seem to call it "the Black Angus of pork." All the ads show some pretty expensive pricing. Can you get it locally at a reasonable price?

I assume that by "ala caseydog" you meant the sous vide and sear part. It's the only way I cook pork chops anymore. But I've never used anything other than supermarket pork chops.

CD

Today I had leftovers of that shrimp from yesterday, and another cream cheese brownie. Surprisingly, I have only eaten 2½ of those 12 brownies I didn't freeze. Usually, I would have eaten 7 or 8 of them by now!
On superbowl day, I made a dish I was originally going to make on my Birthday, but there was a lot of it leftover, so I had some tacos with it 3 times today! It is one of my favorite Mexican dishes, though I don't make it as often as I used to, since it has 2 lbs of shrimp. The dish is fairly easy to make...as long as that salsa negra is on hand! And that is something I always keep on hand (I have to make another batch now). The original salsa negra of Rick Bayless has 4 oz of dried moritas, and some peeled garlic, both shallow fried, then put in a syrup made with some piloncillo. When the mix cools, it is then blended until totally smooth, then cooked down to a paste. The later recipe he came up with because it was easier (it was in a later book, and the one online), with canned chipotles, and brown sugar, but it simply wasn't as good as the one with moritas - what makes it black.

The shrimp recipe calls for just a 6 oz broiled or grilled tomato, but this time I used dried tomatoes - just under .5 oz, and water up to 6 oz, to soak. And I used a shallot, instead of a small onion, which I didn't have. And I had 2.2 oz of salsa negra in the jar - the recipe uses 2-4 oz, and this was the maximum, and it is definitely warm! Here are those first tacos, again - I know 11 photos won't fit here, so I put them in an album.
Shrimp in salsa negra chipotle sauce, on corn tortillas. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here are all the photos together, if you want to see how it's made!

A pizza pie and a crunchy romaine salad.

I had two flour tortillas and a few other odds and ends suitable for pizza toppings.

I preheated the oven to 400f, gave my cast iron skillet a squirt of cooking spray, fitted in a tortilla so it came up the sides of the pan 1/2”, loaded in the pizza toppings and seasonings, topped it with the second tortilla, gave it a squirt of cooking spray. and popped it into the oven for twenty minutes.

When I removed the ‘pie’ from the oven I slid it onto a cooling rack to rest until set and cool enough to enjoy. 🐷🐷🐷

Now I’m wondering if I could use the same technique to make a fruit pie or if the fruit filling would release too much liquid. 🤔

Today I had leftovers of that shrimp from yesterday, and another cream cheese brownie. Surprisingly, I have only eaten 2½ of those 12 brownies I didn't freeze. Usually, I would have eaten 7 or 8 of them by now!
On superbowl day, I made a dish I was originally going to make on my Birthday, but there was a lot of it leftover, so I had some tacos with it 3 times today! It is one of my favorite Mexican dishes, though I don't make it as often as I used to, since it has 2 lbs of shrimp. The dish is fairly easy to make...as long as that salsa negra is on hand! And that is something I always keep on hand (I have to make another batch now). The original salsa negra of Rick Bayless has 4 oz of dried moritas, and some peeled garlic, both shallow fried, then put in a syrup made with some piloncillo. When the mix cools, it is then blended until totally smooth, then cooked down to a paste. The later recipe he came up with because it was easier (it was in a later book, and the one online), with canned chipotles, and brown sugar, but it simply wasn't as good as the one with moritas - what makes it black.

The shrimp recipe calls for just a 6 oz broiled or grilled tomato, but this time I used dried tomatoes - just under .5 oz, and water up to 6 oz, to soak. And I used a shallot, instead of a small onion, which I didn't have. And I had 2.2 oz of salsa negra in the jar - the recipe uses 2-4 oz, and this was the maximum, and it is definitely warm! Here are those first tacos, again - I know 11 photos won't fit here, so I put them in an album.
Shrimp in salsa negra chipotle sauce, on corn tortillas. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here are all the photos together, if you want to see how it's made!
I like shallot better than onion. And happy birthday!

A pizza pie and a crunchy romaine salad.

I had two flour tortillas and a few other odds and ends suitable for pizza toppings.

I preheated the oven to 400f, gave my cast iron skillet a squirt of cooking spray, fitted in a tortilla so it came up the sides of the pan 1/2”, loaded in the pizza toppings and seasonings, topped it with the second tortilla, gave it a squirt of cooking spray. and popped it into the oven for twenty minutes.

When I removed the ‘pie’ from the oven I slid it onto a cooling rack to rest until set and cool enough to enjoy. 🐷🐷🐷

Now I’m wondering if I could use the same technique to make a fruit pie or if the fruit filling would release too much liquid. 🤔
Pizzadilla!

I think the pizzadilla is already a thing, I know I've made it but mine was a foldover thing...the fruitadilla sounds very promising lol

A quick Aldi special tonight: burnt pork ends, mac and cheese, and peas. Just about $10 dinner for two, and everything was ready in less than half an hour.

Hmmm, burnt ends are a big Texas thing, but with beef brisket. Was the pork version made with pork butt/shoulder?

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom