Mulled wine recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
I serve this to carol singers from a local church, who trudge about my area in the two weeks leading up to Christmas - I also have mince-pies available, too! It's generally COLD and often WET, so they are very welcome! This is an alcoholic drink, and I also do a fruit punch for the younger choristers!

This is from Delia Smith's 'Christmas' book and the quantities are for 12 people - I just double the quantities and then add more water, as required - but before the wine gets too diluted!

2 x 75 cl bottles medium to full-bodied red wine (Bulgarian Cabernet Sauvignon is ideal)

1 orange stuck with cloves
2 oranges, sliced
2 lemons, sliced
6 level tablespoons granulated sugar or honey
2 inch (5 cm) piece cinnamon stick
2 level teaspoons finely grated fresh root ginger or ground ginger
2 tablespoons fruit liqueur such as Cointreau, Grand Marnier or cherry brandy (optional)

Put all the ingredients in a saucepan with 2.5 pints (1.5 litres) water then heat to simmering point, stirring until all the sugar has dissolved. Keep it barely at simmering point for at least 20 minutes – but do not boil or all the alcohol will evaporate.

This can be made in advance, then re-heated just before the party. Serve it warm in half-pint mugs (in which case there will be 12 servings) or else in 24 sturdy wine glasses.

It certainly does, MJ... I always add a good dollop of both brandy AND cointreau.... so it packs a wallop, too :LOL:

Out it this way, the carollers usually don't mind the weather after they leave my home!

Skip the ginger and you have our Gluehwein here in Germany. We add rum or amaretto for the kick. We also have "Kinderpunsch". Such a treat at our Christkindlmarkten here in Munich. Mulled wine is so nice this time of year! :D

I am a regular visitor to the Manchester Christmas markets and have gluhwine with amaretto. It's gorgeous!

I've never actually made mulled wine, I think I'll give it a try this year. We get no carol singers though :(

I've got 3 quite large churches near my home - all of them have really good choirs.. they raise funds for charity every year by coming round the houses locally. We know which days they will be 'visiting' our roads and can plan accordingly 8)

In general, neighborhood caroling is a thing of the past in the U.S., at least where I've lived. Such a nice practice, sadly missed by me. I would gladly make anything carolers would care to eat or drink if they would serenade me again.

It's not as common here as it was either, Mudbug... sad to see centuries of history disappearing :cry:

my old church's youth group goes carolling every year still, and all are invited to join in. it gets really discouraging though when so many people don't open their doors, or even acknowledge we are there. some even sneak peeks out the window, then disappear (i picture them dropping to the deck and crawling away).
but it is all worth it to see the teary eyed smiling faces of some of the older folks whom, i'm sure while remembering christmas's past, bring out hot cider or chocolate and thanks us for brightening their evening...

I'm bumping this up to remind myself that I will need to prepare some mulled wine for this weekend. The carol singers start appearing during the second weekend in December round our way!:)

Mulling spices are also really good in cider.

Sweet cider (the non-fermented variety), is good (although you usually don't need to add any sugar); but the hard ciders are very good mulled, and often a big surprise to the folks you serve it to.

Shame of it all, I usually just use the mulling spice packs, though...

John

I've just about got used to the American way of referring to apple juice as cider. Here ALL ciders are alcoholic - otherwise they are known as applejuice!

I've had mulled cider in Dorset and Cornwall. Made from Scrumpy it is very, very potent :)

Back
Top Bottom