Never cooked before...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome to DC! Looks like you have got a lot of help already from everyone here at DC! Learning to cook takes time, and you are gonna crash and burn occasionally, but that is how you learn! I remember cooking horribly for my husband, but soon learned how to cook, by jumping in and trying new things. I am still learning, too. I also, as suggested, learned a lot from cooking shows, and just reading about the basics skills of cooking. And now, some people tell me I should go into catering! Good luck to you! You are at the right place! Again, welcome to DC! :chef:

Welcome to DC Brian, you have come to a right place!! You would probably know that by now as you have already received many good suggestions. My two cents would be to invest in a toaster oven, they are inexpensive and even after you move to a place with a real kitchen, it will come in handy in many occasions... you can make a pizza on frenchbread/foccacia/boboli bread that taste so much better than any frozen ones, or hot sandwiches that would be also much more satisfying than a big mac among other things. I also started cooking about your age without any previous experience or knowledge. I only had my love for food and imagination in my arsenal. But quickly found out cooking was one of the most fun and rewarding activities I had ever tried my hands on. Don't get discouraged by an occasional failure, (it happens also to a most accomplished chef!) keep a creative mind and have fun, and don't ever be afraid to ask questions here, we are all here to help each other!!

Brian, there's a great cookbook my daughter got for my non-cooking son: A Man, A Can and A Plan. It's so easy, a grade-schooler could do it. They are the kinds of recipes you like, and very short, easy directions. (Open can, pour in bowl, add next can, stir, microvwave, eat)

Iamadoorknob said:
And I've cooked eggs...but I burn them every time. I didnt mention those cause someone (not on this forum) told me that those dont count as "cooking".
I wouldn't say that's true for a second. Be it a whole roast chicken or a single egg, cooking is the act of preparing any food that you (or someone else) are going to consume. What kind of eggs did you try? The key with many types of eggs (scrambled, sunny side up, etc) is take them off the heat just before they are completely cooked. The eggs will continue to cook from their own residual heat on the plate, and you'll end up with soft, lovely eggs :)

I agree with Piccolina. Cooking an egg is most certainly cooking. As a matter of fact some chefs when interviewing possible new chefs will have them cook and egg because they are easy to screw up and there are also so many different ways of cooking them.

I suppose one reason an egg is so easily messed up is because we are usually doing other things at the same time. If we take the proper care, it would turn out well every time.

Hi Brian, Wlcome to DC. This is an easy recipe, and doesn't take long to prepare. You could use cooked pasta (macaroni, ziti, etc.) in place of the potatoes, if you like.

Beef, Potato and Mozzarella Lasagna
Serving Size:4

1 lb. potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced
1/2 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 jar (14 oz.) spaghetti sauce
3/4 cup Ricotta Cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan, Grated
2 egg whites
1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese

Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling water for 5 minutes; drain. Meanwhile, brown meat with onion in large nonstick skillet, stirring occasionally. Drain, if necessary. Add spaghetti sauce to skillet.

Mix ricotta cheese, grated Parmesan and egg whites until well blended. Spoon half of the meat mixture into 8-inch square baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Cover with half of the potatoes; top with layers of the ricotta cheese mixture, remaining potatoes and remaining meat mixture. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil.

Bake 50 minutes. Remove foil. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Pasta dishes are easy, and you can add just about any ingredients you liike with some fresh herbs, chopped tomatoes, garlic, cheese of choice, black olives, onions, olive oil, etc. Baked ziti is another simple dish.

Another idea -- Buy bags of frozen filled ravioli. A while back there was a thread (probably under pasta) on all the suggestions for recipes using same.

Lazy Lasagna

Alternate rows of frozen filled ravioli with sauce of choice, shredded cheese of choice, some ground cooked beef and onions (optional), place in a casserole dished sprayed with cooking spray, top with more shredded cheese and sauce, cover and bake at about 350 degrees until cooked thru and cheese is bubbly. Serve with a salad and garlic bread.

Ziti with Italian Sausage

1 lbs. Italian sausage, crumbled
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tbsp.extra virgin olive oil
1 (26 oz.) jar Pasta Sauce
1 (16 oz.) box Ziti

Cook sausage in large skillet over medium-high heat 6 to 7 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking pieces apart with spoon. Drain; return sausage to skillet.

Add onion and oil; sauté 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in sauce; heat thoroughly.

Cook Ziti according to package directions; drain and return to pot. Add sauce to hot Ziti; toss. Transfer to serving platter. Makes 6 to 8 servings. Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

Back
Top Bottom