Okra ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I toss whole okra pods with a bit of olive oil and salt, and grill them. I use a fish basket, so they don't fall thru the grill. :ermm:

If grilling is not possible, use a heavy skillet, and just toss the pods around til they are browned and as tender as you like. Not a bit slimey.

My okra is just barely up out of the ground, so it will be a month or so before I get to eat them.

sparrowgrass,

Do you cut off the tips before you panfry them (in olive oil and salt)? This sounds good, and I just bought a pound of okra.

Lee

sparrowgrass said:
I toss whole okra pods with a bit of olive oil and salt, and grill them. I use a fish basket, so they don't fall thru the grill. :ermm:

If grilling is not possible, use a heavy skillet, and just toss the pods around til they are browned and as tender as you like. Not a bit slimey.

My okra is just barely up out of the ground, so it will be a month or so before I get to eat them.
this idea sounds great to me... I love okra

Yakuta said:
I do not like Okra slimy either - different strokes for different folks. I think you got some great ideas and here is another one. It is in line with Indian cuisine so try it only if you like the spices and flavors in that cuisine.

Discard the stem of the okra and split it into half (horizonally lengthwise). Add some oil to a pan (2 tbsp or so, any kind is fine). Keep the heat on low flame so it's not very hot. Add some cumin powder, corrainder powder,red chilli powder, paprika and salt to the oil. Let the spices toast a bit in the oil. Next add the okras and stir them so that the spices are nicely coating the okras.

Let the okras cook with the spices uncovered (they will pan fry nicely). Cook them until the okra is nice and crisp (they will turn a brownish color). Sprinkle with some lime juice and they are ready.

Serve it as a side with anything your heart desires. We normally make this on the side along with Dahl and rice for a delicious and healthy all vegetarian fare- Yummm now I have to make some.

Now that sounds yummy!!!!

Sorry QSis, I am sure your pound of okra has been cooked and eaten by now.

I do not trim the tips--just cut the stems off. I try to get pods that are all the same size, so they cook evenly.

The tips are not stringy or anything.

(I don't take the tips off the green beans either. I am a busy :ROFLMAO: woman.)

sparrowgrass said:
Sorry QSis, I am sure your pound of okra has been cooked and eaten by now.

I do not trim the tips--just cut the stems off. I try to get pods that are all the same size, so they cook evenly.

The tips are not stringy or anything.

(I don't take the tips off the green beans either. I am a busy :ROFLMAO: woman.)

Oh, sparrow, I didn't cut the okra at ALL, fearing slime would ooze from any cut. I pan-sauteed them with the stems and ends on, and they were fantastic! We ate them with our fingers, which was more fun.

Liked them so much that I've got TWO pounds to grill over charcoal this weekend!

I may try not cutting the tips and stems of green beans, either! I'm a busy woman, too, and love eating with my fingers! :)

Lee

Back
Top Bottom