How about foods you've tried once or twice that you'll never eat again.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not a big fan of kale, but if you put it in the freezer for a day or two, it gets much less bitter. Lots of home gardeners just wait until after the first frost to harvest their kale. I like it in some soups. It does have to be cut into small enough pieces. No one wants to chew on a big, tough piece of kale.

I'm not crazy about cooked salmon either. Although I do love salmon patties (made from canned). Especially with pea sauce.
Canned salmon. :sick:
That purple stuff is full of anthocyanins, a powerful antioxidant! 😁 I remember the first time I got red sails lettuce and put it in a salad. DH thought it was going bad 🤣
My DH is red-green colour blind. I don't buy red lettuce anymore. To him, it just looks like it has gone off. I can imagine it must look horrid to someone who is red-green colour blind.
I generally agree, but I did make Tuna Poke once, and actually quite liked it.

View attachment 68335

I like a seared tuna steak, too, cooked medium rare to medium. Well done is too tough and dry.

Oh, I had chicken fried tuna steak in a high-end restaurant in Dallas once, and it was very good... and so creative.

CD
I tried poke once. I found it boring and lacking in flavour.

I'm not a big fan of kale, but if you put it in the freezer for a day or two, it gets much less bitter. Lots of home gardeners just wait until after the first frost to harvest their kale. I like it in some soups. It does have to be cut into small enough pieces. No one wants to chew on a big, tough piece of kale.
Yep
We always waited till the first frost...
Then ate mashed with potatoes and rookworst (sausage). With jus (gravy) and a bit of vinegar.
I liked it, but not 3x a week trying to get rid of the harvest ;)

Yum! I eat it when I can find it. But I’m Swedish.
I thought it was more Norwegian than Swedish. My dad was born and raised in Sweden, so I like most Swedish food. The weird one that I want to try is surströmning, fermented herring. I know people who really enjoy it.

Just answering the question ☺
Just adding my humble sentiments on the question.
1709905661360.gif

I haven't actually eaten it because the mere sight of it puts me off--chicken fried steak with that goopy white "gravy" on it. If it's ever made the national dish of Texas, I'm moving!

If you don't like chicken fried steak, you haven't had a proper chicken fried steak. There are a lot of ways to make it badly. But, when it is done right, it is awesome.

BTW, the state dish of Texas is Chili.

CD

Casey, just the way chicken fried steak looks puts it on my never list. It may taste okay, but I don't think I could choke it down.
Chili may be the state dish, but I was talking about "national", like Lone Star beer is the national beer of Texas!

Casey, just the way chicken fried steak looks puts it on my never list. It may taste okay, but I don't think I could choke it down.
Chili may be the state dish, but I was talking about "national", like Lone Star beer is the national beer of Texas!
I have to agree with CD. Chicken fried steak is fantastic when done correctly, regardless of the appearance of the white gravy.

Texas is a state in the nation of the United States; therefore, by definition, it can only have a "state" dish.

Yum! I eat it when I can find it. But I’m Swedish.
about Lutefiske
I thought it was more Norwegian than Swedish. My dad was born and raised in Sweden, so I like most Swedish food. The weird one that I want to try is surströmning, fermented herring. I know people who really enjoy it.
I first heard about it in Denmark. In a restaurant with parents. No, I didn't try it.
I always just assumed it was something available in all the Nordic countries.
and according to Wiki:
Lutefisk is prepared as a seafood dish of several Nordic countries. It is traditionally part of the Christmas feasts Norwegian julebord, Swedish julbord, and Finnish joulupöytä.[2]

I tried poke once. I found it boring and lacking in flavour.
See this thread.

I also have a recipe we liked using hogfish, which is a thin, firm, white fillet that is very mild tasting, or a similar fish. It also uses jasmine rice, coconut cream (not the sweet drink stuff), jalapeno, macadamias or cashews among other things. I can post if you want.

Last edited:
I've made it a few times at home. I varied the recipe to make sausage gravy to top the CFS with.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom