How about foods you've tried once or twice that you'll never eat again.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds very interesting, but it just doesn't appeal to me.

I love fish, like monkfish, grouper, cod, orange roughy and I also love seared tuna steaks cooked medium-rare. But the salmon thing, I just don't know - I've tried to like it, but it's too 'fishy' for me.

There's one fish I've always wanted to try and that's Chilean sea bass. I've heard it's exquisite.
No problem Linda, everyone has their own preferences. I absolutely love Chilean Sea Bass otherwise known as Patagonian Tile Fish and served it fairly regularly back in the 80's and early 90's. We boycotted, we being chefs, in Toronto in the late 90's and 2000's I've only served it a few times in the last 10 years, but I did pick some up for myself last year and it really is pretty tasty and really the perfect fish for people that had a problem if the fish either smelled or tasted like fish, and this one was one of the better ones, like halibut or sole. It's too expensive to serve in the restaurant, it just doesn't make any sense, we'd have to sell it for 60.00 for an entree, and that is too much for a serving here, and I haven't seen it on any menus either. Now I'm wanting some,lol.

Yeah, it was really threatened back then and overfished where even groups like Seafood Watch and Greenpeace also boycotted the fish because it was going down the road of endangered.

Yum! I eat it when I can find it. But I’m Swedish.

Do you eat Lutefisk at Christmas, and drink Aquavit? My Swedish ex-BIL brought some of both to a family Christmas gathering once. He was never allowed to bring food or drink to any family gathering again.

CD

Sounds very interesting, but it just doesn't appeal to me.

I love fish, like monkfish, grouper, cod, orange roughy and I also love seared tuna steaks cooked medium-rare. But the salmon thing, I just don't know - I've tried to like it, but it's too 'fishy' for me.

There's one fish I've always wanted to try and that's Chilean sea bass. I've heard it's exquisite.

Ah, Patagonian Toothfish (not tile fish -- a different family of fish). It's not a bass. The name is pure marketing, as nobody wanted to buy Patagonian Toothfish. If you like grouper, you would probably like Chilean Sea Bass. I had it many years ago, and don't remember much about it. I think it is hard to get now, legally, because it was severely overfished.

CD

No problem Linda, everyone has their own preferences. I absolutely love Chilean Sea Bass otherwise known as Patagonian Tile Fish and served it fairly regularly back in the 80's and early 90's. We boycotted, we being chefs, in Toronto in the late 90's and 2000's I've only served it a few times in the last 10 years, but I did pick some up for myself last year and it really is pretty tasty and really the perfect fish for people that had a problem if the fish either smelled or tasted like fish, and this one was one of the better ones, like halibut or sole. It's too expensive to serve in the restaurant, it just doesn't make any sense, we'd have to sell it for 60.00 for an entree, and that is too much for a serving here, and I haven't seen it on any menus either. Now I'm wanting some,lol.

Yeah, it was really threatened back then and overfished where even groups like Seafood Watch and Greenpeace also boycotted the fish because it was going down the road of endangered.
There's one restaurant here, that I'm aware of, that has Chilean Sea Bass on the menu. It's $37.90 with your choice of sauce and served with 2 sides. It may not be $60, but that's still pretty pricey to me.

Ah, Patagonian Toothfish (not tile fish -- a different family of fish). It's not a bass. The name is pure marketing, as nobody wanted to buy Patagonian Toothfish. If you like grouper, you would probably like Chilean Sea Bass. I had it many years ago, and don't remember much about it. I think it is hard to get now, legally, because it was severely overfished.

CD
I was saying above that we have a restaurant here in Columbus, Ohio that serves it. I wonder if they need a special license to sell it, if it's not legal in some areas.

taxy and I have been over this one before, LOL. I cannot abide raw fish of any kind. Smoked salmon in very thin slices. Too thick and it makes me gag.
Serve me Tuna and it better come out of a can!
Shellfish I love, mild white fish.

Liver, organ meats are a no no.
I do like a bit of pate.

There's one restaurant here, that I'm aware of, that has Chilean Sea Bass on the menu. It's $37.90 with your choice of sauce and served with 2 sides. It may not be $60, but that's still pretty pricey to me.
Your in the US and in Canadian that's around 52.00. We sell halibut at the moment for 45.00 which is pushing it for us, but it is halibut and people don't seem to have a problem with the pricing and the portion is about 6oz. so a decent size as well.

taxy and I have been over this one before, LOL. I cannot abide raw fish of any kind. Smoked salmon in very thin slices. Too thick and it makes me gag.
Shellfish I love, mild white fish.

Liver, organ meats are a no no.
I do like a bit of pate.
I could sit and eat piles of different types of shellfish. Yum!

I like liver, too. ;)

Your in the US and in Canadian that's around 52.00. We sell halibut at the moment for 45.00 which is pushing it for us, but it is halibut and people don't seem to have a problem with the pricing and the portion is about 6oz. so a decent size as well.
Love halibut, too.

For me it's kale, okra and escargot.

With kale, I couldn't get past the disgusting bitter taste. And, with both okra and escargot, I couldn't get past the texture.

To add, I also can't do field greens. A lot of places these days use field greens for their salads (even fast food places like Wendy's) and it's just gross to me. It's a mess of stuff that resembles what I could go pick out of my back yard. And that purple stuff? What the heck even is that??? :yuk:

Sorry, but when it comes to salads, I'll only eat iceberg, romaine or baby spinach.

How about y'all?
That purple stuff is full of anthocyanins, a powerful antioxidant! 😁 I remember the first time I got red sails lettuce and put it in a salad. DH thought it was going bad 🤣

I was saying above that we have a restaurant here in Columbus, Ohio that serves it. I wonder if they need a special license to sell it, if it's not legal in some areas.

With overfished species, it is usually illegal to catch it, or the catch is limited to small amounts. That usually makes a fish expensive. Looking at some online prices, Chilean Sea Bass is pretty pricey. It also looks like the importers list the fish as certified sustainably harvested. Restaurants can probably get it cheaper if they don't care about sustainability, and the chef "knows someone who knows someone."

CD

With overfished species, it is usually illegal to catch it, or the catch is limited to small amounts. That usually makes a fish expensive. Looking at some online prices, Chilean Sea Bass is pretty pricey. It also looks like the importers list the fish as certified sustainably harvested. Restaurants can probably get it cheaper if they don't care about sustainability, and the chef "knows someone who knows someone."

CD
Makes sense to me. I had no idea that was even an issue until now.

I generally agree, but I did make Tuna Poke once, and actually quite liked it.

1709858924721.jpeg

I like a seared tuna steak, too, cooked medium rare to medium. Well done is too tough and dry.

Oh, I had chicken fried tuna steak in a high-end restaurant in Dallas once, and it was very good... and so creative.

CD

That purple stuff is full of anthocyanins, a powerful antioxidant! 😁 I remember the first time I got red sails lettuce and put it in a salad. DH thought it was going bad 🤣
I don't care how healthy it is for you, I will usually at least try something, but if I don't like it, as in Kale (disgusting stuff), I certainly won't eat it again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom