How about foods you've tried once or twice that you'll never eat again.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, peeling the beets is a nuisance. I actually find it kind of fun to rub the skins off, but if I do that, I don't have as much energy for something else.

I have been known to make pickled beets out of canned beets. I like them better than the pickled ones you can buy and they can be quite quick to make.
Don't you bake them before you peel? The peel always slips right off for me.

Don't you bake them before you peel? The peel always slips right off for me.
No, I boil them. The peel rubs right off, but it's messy. There's red/purple juice on hands, cutting board, knife (used for cutting the ends off), and probably drips a few other places.

When I had more energy and was in a hurry, I would peel them while they were raw and slice them and steam them, toss them in a bowl with some butter and lemon juice. That was quick and surprised several people who thought they didn't like beets.

Last edited:
The innards of any animal: sweetbreads, liver, chitlins, fish eggs, pate, etc. And I'll go on record here that I have never tried any of these because the smell alone would stop me from three feet away.

But some that I've tried and promptly spit out include most green vegetables like brussel sprouts, green beans, kale, asparagas - anything that looks and tastes like grass, and not the fun kind, either.

Peas? Meh, maybe OK.

Most foreign foods. I'm OK with Chinese American, Italian American, and Mexican American foods, but I don't think I'd ever want to eat any Indian, African, Japanese, or any other food with any other country name in front of it. I don't know why - the food just don't look appetizing. I'm the American who would check out the McDonald's in every country I'd visit.

No, I boil them. The peel rubs right off, but it's messy. There's red/purple juice on hands, cutting board, knife (used for cutting the ends off), and probably drips a few other places.

When I had more energy and was in a hurry, I would peel them while they were raw and slice them and steam them, toss them in a bowl with some butter and lemon juice. That was quick and surprised several people who thought they didn't like beets.
Have you ever tried golden beets? They are fabulous and no purple mess. I'll just drop them into boiling water, skin and all, and cook them until they're tender (but still with a little bit of a bite). Then I peel them, slice them and eat them as-is. But I imagine those would be fine to pickle.

My mom used to make pickled beets from the canned variety (of the purple beets) and I've done the same thing. They always turn out just fine. And, of course, I have to drop a few hard boiled eggs in there with them.

Oh, I forgot about golden beets. I have a recipe for a pasta that uses them and their greens, plus other things. I don't think the goldens taste as "beety" either.

I grew those golden beets once, as well as those "spiral" beets, or whatever they're called, and they tasted better, but still like dirt. That was when I gave up on them. At least I got a bunch of greens (though some less than others).

I'll eat just about anything, though I don't try things that look too nasty. Snails, nope, not gonna do it. Mayo is a no go for me, though I don't worry if it's on something I order.. Just looks like, well, it doesn't look very appetizing.

And on coffee, that's for women. I think I tried it once.

I do like canned peas, and pretty much any canned vegetable, though canned carrots are on the edge.

Have you ever tried golden beets? They are fabulous and no purple mess. I'll just drop them into boiling water, skin and all, and cook them until they're tender (but still with a little bit of a bite). Then I peel them, slice them and eat them as-is. But I imagine those would be fine to pickle.

My mom used to make pickled beets from the canned variety (of the purple beets) and I've done the same thing. They always turn out just fine. And, of course, I have to drop a few hard boiled eggs in there with them.
No, I haven't tried golden beets. How are they flavour-wise? If they don't taste as much like beets, then they sound less appealing. From what I understand, the purple/red ones have more antioxidants. The golden/yellow ones are also more expensive. I will probably give them a try at some point. Plus, irrationally, the yellow ones just seem wrong.

No, I haven't tried golden beets. How are they flavour-wise? If they don't taste as much like beets, then they sound less appealing. From what I understand, the purple/red ones have more antioxidants. The golden/yellow ones are also more expensive. I will probably give them a try at some point. Plus, irrationally, the yellow ones just seem wrong.
To me they do taste like beets, but are a little sweeter than the purple ones and have a milder beet flavor. And yes, they are more expensive. In fact, half the time I can't even find them. It's rare when I spot them, but grab them up when I do.

I like a good stinky cheese. In aged cheese, I tend to prefer aromatic cheeses to the ones that get sharp with age.

I'm reminded of my husband's reaction to his first breakfast while visiting Denmark. He was enjoying a platter with various kinds of food. He seemed to be enjoying his meal when suddenly, his face went funny. "Are you alright?" "Yes, but I just took a bite of some vicious attack cheese." I asked what he thought of the cheese and he decided that, after getting over the shock, he liked it.

Quinoa, I don't intensely dislike it but I don't cook it nor buy it. I did before it became the rage. It was dirt cheap, came in many 'colours', was 'healthy' and different. But the cooking was tedious and not done right was bitter.

So it fell by the way side but even so, when I decided this new recipe deserved it, I was going to buy. When I saw the prices - the recipe flew out the window.
I believe the price was a direct result of the "fad".

I believe the prices have come back down quite a bit since of course, but still I don't figure it worth the price, taste nor effort.

Whole Wheat Pasta! disgusting.
Just follow the money and it's clear to see it's the result of the food industrial complex understanding a market and filling that market. Refined white flour bad, whole wheat refined flour good. Is there a noticeable health difference, no.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom