How about foods you've tried once or twice that you'll never eat again.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to agree with CD. Chicken fried steak is fantastic when done correctly, regardless of the appearance of the white gravy.

Texas is a state in the nation of the United States; therefore, by definition, it can only have a "state" dish.
I haven't had a good one in a long time. I love white gravy, though. My mom always made a milk gravy for the rice she made to go with fried chicken.

Try a different recipe. I'll see if I can find the one we've made a couple of times. We both liked it. I think it was a Bon Appetit recipe.
Thank you, but I'll wait until I have tried it again. I'll try it at some resto that friends recommend for the poke. It sounds like more effort that I want to expend for something that doesn't seem to have more chance of me liking it. I doubt that I would hate it, just not be crazy about it.

Last edited:
Chicken fried steak is just wienerschnitzel made with beef instead of veal. It's delicious. If you don't want a gloopy white gravy, don't put it on your steak. The resto where I have eaten was fine with serving the gravy in a small bowl, instead of on the meat. In fact, I don't remember if I even had to ask them to leave it off the meat.

See this thread.

I also have a recipe we liked using hogfish, which is a thin, firm, white fillet that is very mild tasting, or a similar fish. It also uses jasmine rice, coconut cream (not the sweet drink stuff), jalapeno, macadamias or cashews among other things. I can post if you want.
I'd never heard of Hogfish, so I just looked it up. Found this as a description:

Hogfish possess the perfect combination of flavor and texture because they're sweeter than grouper, flakier than mahi-mahi, and are also as rich as scallops.

That sounds delicious. However, the price would probably be out of my league, even if I could find it. It says it can cost $36 to $50 per pound.

Chicken fried steak is just wienerschnitzel made with beef instead of veal. It's delicious. If you don't want a gloopy white gravy, don't put it on your steak. The resto where I have eaten was fine with serving the gravy in a small bowl, instead of on the meat. In fact, I don't remember if I even had to ask them to leave it off the meat.
I love it smothered in the gravy. So good :-p

I'd never heard of Hogfish, so I just looked it up. Found this as a description:

Hogfish possess the perfect combination of flavor and texture because they're sweeter than grouper, flakier than mahi-mahi, and are also as rich as scallops.

That sounds delicious. However, the price would probably be out of my league, even if I could find it. It says it can cost $36 to $50 per pound.
It's pretty much just caught by hook and line or spear fisher people. That's why hogfish is so expensive. DH and I used to dive and would spearfish and hunt for lobster, occasionally coral crab when we found it. Their diet is tiny lobster and shrimp that they sift through the sand for on and around the coral reefs, which is the reason they have such a sweetish, mild taste. They also have wicked teeth.
2019-11-30 15.27.39.jpg
2019-11-30 15.28.09.jpg

It's pretty much just caught by hook and line or spear fisher people. That's why hogfish is so expensive. DH and I used to dive and would spearfish and hunt for lobster, occasionally coral crab when we found it. Their diet is tiny lobster and shrimp that they sift through the sand for on and around the coral reefs, which is the reason they have such a sweetish, mild taste. They also have wicked teeth.View attachment 68356View attachment 68357
Yes, I read that they dine on mollusk-type creatures. No wonder they taste so good! And I can see the teeth, including the larger one sticking out. Yikes.

For me it's kale, okra and escargot.

With kale, I couldn't get past the disgusting bitter taste. And, with both okra and escargot, I couldn't get past the texture.

To add, I also can't do field greens. A lot of places these days use field greens for their salads (even fast food places like Wendy's) and it's just gross to me. It's a mess of stuff that resembles what I could go pick out of my back yard. And that purple stuff? What the heck even is that??? :yuk:

Sorry, but when it comes to salads, I'll only eat iceberg, romaine or baby spinach.

How about y'all?
I like it all except for okra (and have never tried escargot but my husband loves it). I grew up in the south with a southern grandma and Cajun cousins, and spent a lot of time in Louisiana and SE Texas when I was young, so I have had gumbo and other stews with okra and have had it fried by people who others have stated made the very best of all of those things. YUCK.

Kale has to be raw or very lightly wilted and seasoned properly for me to eat it. I hate overcooked greens. I didn't find it bitter at all. Field greens are amazing in a salad and I dislike watery and flavorless iceberg lettuce. I generally will skip the salad if it's iceberg. Love baby spinach and Romaine is okay.

I saw beets mentioned, and it reminded me of those - they simply taste like dirt to me! Not something about root vegetables, just beets, and I tried growing several varieties, and all had that problem, though the white ones weren't as bad. I think it might be a genetic thing, like the soapy taste of cilantro, as I've found just a few others with that taste. Yet the greens, and Swiss chard have none of that flavor to me.
I am not a fan of beets myself.

I was lucky. As a kid, I hated canned peas. Partially a texture thing, but mostly the flavour. My mum started wondering about that, because I really liked fresh peas. So, she tried frozen peas (back in the 1950s) and I was more than willing to eat those. I think she may have liked them better because, I never saw another can of peas at home after that. Oh, I still hate canned peas. I will pick out every last one, if they get into anything I'm about to eat. Obviously, that doesn't happen at home.
I will eat canned peas but prefer frozen.

I will eat canned peas but prefer frozen.
I love peas of any type. I'll eat them canned as well. But one of the best flavors in the world is picking pea pods straight off the vine, opening them up and digging out those beautiful green gems and popping them one by one.

Attachments

• Peas-in-pod.jpg
    Peas-in-pod.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 4
I don't even care if they come out of a can. Once peas are cooked enough to turn that khaki colour, I won't eat them.
I've never overcooked peas. I warm them up with a bit of butter and salt.

Foods I hate in particular are livers, kidneys, hearts, etc. from any animal. All offal is awful lol. No sausages in natural casings allowed.

Ham I will eat diced in an omelet or in soups. I can't stand it as an entree protein or in a sandwich. Bologna hot dogs, liver wurst, ' and potted meats are all yucky. Smoked oysters (canned), anchovies, and sardines are gross.

Yams, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, and cooked carrots. Beets.

Cottage cheese and blue cheese.

Casey, just the way chicken fried steak looks puts it on my never list. It may taste okay, but I don't think I could choke it down.
Chili may be the state dish, but I was talking about "national", like Lone Star beer is the national beer of Texas!

I make mine with thin sliced ribeye steak instead of the cheap steak usually used. I always have mashed potatoes and fried okra with it.

1710187764170.jpeg

CD

I've made it a few times at home. I varied the recipe to make sausage gravy to top the CFS with.

The main thing with the gravy is don't make it too thick, so it becomes "gloopy," and use lots of black pepper. I've thought about making sausage gravy for it, but never actually tired it.

CD

I'm not a Texan, much less an American even, but Marlingartener, those were my exact same thoughts!

I am a Texan and that whole notion of Texas being nation is a bit over the top, and Texas would not survive as a nation, even if it could secede.

The official state food of Texas, as declared by the State Legislature, is Chili. I would personally rank smoked brisket as number two, and CFS as third.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom