Omelet ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As Andy said, you can do it anyway you choose KG, you can even do scrambled eggs with ingredients of you choice, however a proper stuffed omelet is quite easy, and more rewarding in my opinion. Go back to youtube and look at other video's...there are dozens of them.

My personal favorite is with sauteed mushrooms and swiss cheese. A close runner up is either a spinach and tomato omelet topped with a bit of hollandaise sauce, or a California omelet.

We were on vacation in Los Angeles and I saw this delightful California Omelet on the menu. It had bacon, avocado, and cheese. I nuke the bacon, crumble it into big pieces, and mix into the raw egg. When the eggs are set I put slices of avocado over the omelet, top with cheese (I like fontina, provolone, or mozzarella for this dish), and pop under the broiler until the cheese is melted.

My favorite is a Western omelet. If I have ham, I use that, but I have also used Spam. Dice small the meat, onion and bell pepper and sauté in a bit of butter. Grate some sharp cheddar cheese and when the omelet is almost done, sprinkle the filling over half and close the omelet to finish..

The filling ingredients can be prepared in advance.

That was my Mama's favorite omelet, Bea. I haven't thought of it in years. :)

We don't tend to think about the simple dishes we used to fix on the day before payday or when we were in a hurry. Now we tend to stand in line, on the cell phone, with a bag of salad and a rotisserie chicken waiting to bring home a quick meal.

Progress? :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I love omelets. My favorite is sausage, onion and hashbrowns with ketchup or sausage gravy on top. Not the healthiest and more work than some other omelettes but a good treat once in a while. Others that I really like:
Shrimp, asparagus and havarti
Diced ham, apple and sharp cheddar
Celery lightly sauteed and sharp cheddar (optionals include onion, bacon, peppers, mushrooms, pick one or two)
Diced chicken, mushrooms, browned onions and swiss
Shredded beef, onion and jalepeno topped with salsa
Cheeseburger omellet
Spinach, asiago and olive
Spinach, parmesian and mushroom
Brocoli topped with alfredo sauce
Pesto and either italian sausage or the thin itallian bacon like stuff that I can't remember the name of right now, topped with diced grape tomatoes

Well since we are elaborating on omelets...
My favorite is an Italian omelet, or sometimes called meatball and cheese around here.

Attachments

• Italian omelette.jpg
    Italian omelette.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 319
I am doing the low carb diet, which works for me, and eggs are a staple to this diet. I think ahead when I am making dinner. Is there something that I can cook extra of and freeze to make an omelet. Therefore think of theming the omelet, mexican, italian, veggie.... Make extra during dinner, throw in a zip lock and wahla - omelet fixins.

Love omelets!

Goat cheese, artichoke hearts and arugula is my fave. The arugula wilts like spinach...

How about:
Smoked salmon w/ dill mayo dressing
Omelet with olive tapinade
Sliced zucchini, chopped tomatoes and havarti

Thanks for all the options, Andy. Hopefully I'll get the hang of it. I watched a youtube video of Jacques Pepin making omelets, and it was way too intimidating. I think I'll stick to simplicity for now!
Just to intimidate you further, Margaret Costa in her "Four Seasons Cookbook" spoke of a chef telling her that when he trained he had to make an omelette using the back burner of a gas stove with the front burner which was under his wrist turned up full - If his wrist burned the omelette was cooked too much. Oo-er!

I like my omelette "baveuse" or slightly runny in the middle but I'm lucky in that I can trust the source of the eggs. Many people, particularly the old and/or the frail shouldn't eat them like this.

I like many fillings in a French style omelet, but my favorite has to be thin sliced, ripe tomato and garlic powder. Don't ask me why, but I like the powder better than fresh garlic in this omelet.

Looks to me that what to add to an omelet is......

Anything your heart desires. ;)

I like spinach and bacon with a wee bit of thyme. :yum:

Thanks for all the options, Andy. Hopefully I'll get the hang of it. I watched a youtube video of Jacques Pepin making omelets, and it was way too intimidating. I think I'll stick to simplicity for now!
Did you see the Julia child video earlier in this thread? That didn't look intimidating to me.

Back
Top Bottom