Oops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I made myself some peanutbutter cookies for DW. They came out good. I wanted to make something that I I could eat, and so looked up a T&T shortbread recipe. DW had found some dark, grade A Maple syrup, and I decided to replace the sugar in the recipe with the syrup. I did so and the shortbread batter came out too sopy. I added extra sugar to firm it uup. I also used about a half stick more butter than I shlould have as I didn't carefully measue and just winged it. I lined a bakingpan with foil and put in the batter. I popped it all into the oven for the correct time and temp, and checked it when the timer went off. The contents were very soupy. I cooked the shortbread for an additional 20 minuts to firm it up. I took it from the oven, and it looked ok. I put it out in our chill winter aire to cool. Shen I tried to cut it, it was almost impossible to cut. What had hahppened is that I was in effect, making a maple-flavored caremel, with flour and butter addded. The extra cooking time took the sugars to the soft-crack stage. It tastes great, but has the texture of a slow poke. It's very hard to cut. It's very chewy, tastes great, but is a challenge o eat, especially at the edges. All I can say is that it's a good thing I have strong teeth and jaws.:ROFLMAO: Lessson learned. follow recipes more closely.

Seeeeeeya: chief Longwind of the North

Don't forget, Chief, sugar is considered a "wet" ingredient in baked goods - something people often screw up when trying to remove sugar, and replace with another sweetener, creating a dry bread, cookie, or whatever. It sort of liquefies, once it's baked with fats or eggs. Sounds like you created more of a candy, than a cookie!

Last edited by a moderator:
I love screwing around with recipes adding a little of this, removing a little of that to fit my desired taste, except when it comes to baking. To me, baking reminds me of when I was back in my organic chemistry lab. Everything has to be precise or the end result suffers the consequences.I give you an "A" for effort in your old college try of altering the recipe :) , Don't damage those teeth, they've got a bunch more good meals to use them for :LOL: . On a positive note, at least you learned something out of the experience ;) Good luck on your next attempt. As Bugs Bunny once said, and I quote " If you try and don't succeed, try , try again !"

I love screwing around with recipes adding a little of this, removing a little of that to fit my desired taste, except when it comes to baking. To me, baking reminds me of when I was back in my organic chemistry lab. Everything has to be precise or the end result suffers the consequences.I give you an "A" for effort in your old college try of altering the recipe :) , Don't damage those teeth, they've got a bunch more good meals to use them for :LOL: . On a positive note, at least you learned something out of the experience ;) Good luck on your next attempt. As Bugs Bunny once said, and I quote " If you try and don't succeed, try , try again !"

And yet, with breads, cakes, and pastries, I often play with and modify recipes, usually with a high degree of success. I just didn't stop to think how much sugar and syrup was in this particular recipe, and that I was turning the sugars into caramel. The flavor, as stated, is excellent. Eating a piece is like eating a Slow Poke candy. The problem is that I have this big square of the stuff, and it's nearly impossible to cut with a knife. It's not quite hard enough to crack like a brittle:ohmy: and like you guys said, I learned something. Thanks for your support.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom