Panettone thread for aria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philso

Senior Cook
Aria said:
philso...me too. Do you have a Panetone Recipe? Can you start a Panetone thread?

er... well... yes and no, on the first question. no problem on the second question. i can tell you how i go about making one, but don't expect any measurements. if that's ok, here we go...

scald some milk. reserve some in a cup and activate some yeast in it. the rest goes in a mixing bowl with a large hunk of butter, so the butter melts while the milk cools.

when the milk is tepid, i add the yeast, a good 5-finger pinch of salt, a handful of sugar, some vanilla, and maybe 3 or 4 eggs per large panettone.

if i want it to be really rich & extra special, i go heavy on the butter, use only yolks of maybe 6 or 7 eggs and use fresh vanilla bean.

add flour till it makes a soft dough, turn it out on the table and, working in flour little by little, knead it until i have a dough that's rather on the soft side.

then i add the dried fruit: finely diced candied lemon and orange rind, dried cranberries and raisins. if i don't have the candied rinds on hand (they're hard for me to get here) i use lemon and orange zest.

let rise once, then punch down and divide the dough into individual panettone portions. let them rise the second time in the pan (or whatever) they are going to baked in. i grease the pans and then place in greased and floured wax paper or baking paper, sized to fit. here are a few of the "pans" i've used successfully in the past: coffee cans, large and small, spring-form pans, deep ss mixing bowls, souffle dishes, and no pan at all, only a baking sheet. i've also used the paper from large paper shopping bags. short sided pans like a spring-form pan will need a tall collar. on a baking sheet, you can put 3 or 4 balls of dough on the sheet and just place a tall collar around each one. tall collars will need to be secured with string, staples or those heavy-duty paper clips that have the fold-down "thingies. regular paper clips have proven to be not secure enough.

i let them rise until i start to worry if they might collapse. gently gild the tops. then i bake in a moderate oven till they look done, half an hour to an hour or so, depending on the size of the pan. sometimes i start them off in a hot oven for 10 minutes or so, but mainly because i like to fool around trying this and that. can't say that i've noticed any difference one way or another.

hope this helps. if not, "real" recipes are only a google search away.

let's hope someone comes through with their sicilian grandmother's recipe.

icon12.gif

Okay, we have never tried it ourselves, it has a rather tedious procedure, and as a fortunate resident of Rome, good panettones are found being sold EVERYWHERE at this time of the year... however I believe we do have more than one credible recipes in our file, I will try to translate one asap, so stay tuned...

Okay, here is one of them. This is a bit of a short cut version (believe it or not...), as the proper version takes more than 2 days for completion.
Be sure to use a natural yeast to get the distinct, delicate flavour. Also the ideal temperature for rising the dough is about 27-30°c/78-80f, not too dry.
Good luck!!

Panettone (Milanese style)

50g/1,5 oz. natural yeast (or baker's yeast)
100g/3,5 oz. cake flour
240g/half lb. cake flour
150g/6oz. sugar
1 whole egg
5 egg yolks
salt
100g/3,5oz melted butter
6 tbs. raisins, soaked and squeezed
60g/2 oz. candied orange and lemon peel, diced
1 1/2 tbs. butter

Combine the yeast with the flour and as much water as necessary for the dough to be elastic. Wrap in a towel and put into a warm draft-free place until doubled in size (approx. 30 mins) and the surface is uneven.
Pour about 30g/1oz of flour on a working surface, make a well. Crumble the dough cake from above on top of it, add 1/2 cup warm water and knead until the dough is elastic. Let rise in a warm place for 3 hours.
Punch down the dough, and then, knead in another 30g/1oz. flour, with as much warm water as needed. Place the dough in a warm place to rise for 2 hours.
Whisk together the sugar, the whole egg and the yolks. Mix well and cook in a double boiler for a few minutes, beating the mixture with a whisk so that it becomes light and airy. Let cool.
Make another well with the remaining flour. Put in a pinch of salt, the risen dough, the butter and the egg mixture into the middle. Knead energetically for 20 mins. When the dough is smooth and elastic, add the raisins and candied peel.
Grease and flour a sheet of waxed paper and place the dough in the center. Make a ring around the cake with a rectangular piece of cardboard and let rise in a warm place for at least 6 hours or until the dough has doubled in size.
Cut a cross on top of the cake with a sharp knife and put 1 tbs. butter in the middle.
Bake in a pre-heated 200°C/400ºF oven for 40-45 mins. The cake is ready when a skewer inserted in the center comes out dry.

Last edited:
philso and urmaniac13, ti voglio tanto bene. Thank you.

urmaniac13 - wow! talk about an involved recipe. a lot more complicated than my untutored breadlike approach. thanks not only for the panettone recipe but for all of your other myriad recipes which i have always read voraciously. thanks again
icon14.gif

icon12.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom