Pantry basics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a selection of those purchased lids too. Somehow, I like my "recycled" ones more? And hubby keeps the jars from Pub Cheese to recycle into drinking glasses.

I guess we're both a little on the cheap side...;-)

I have a selection of those purchased lids too. Somehow, I like my "recycled" ones more? And hubby keeps the jars from Pub Cheese to recycle into drinking glasses.

I guess we're both a little on the cheap side...;-)
Sure, recycling lids and jars is great. Those lids don't have the special features of some of the commercial lids, though, which is where this started.

I can relate to that, Ginny! However, I buy few things in jars - kalamata and other olives, and some Asian ingredients are all I can think of in glass jars. Mom and Sis used to save them for me, and would even have larger ones than I ever bought anything in - my source for all those gallon and other larger jars, plus countless others. I learned early on that plastic simply doesn't seal well - dried peppers would loose their crispness after a few months, even when tightened as tight as possible. I used to use them for some things, still, but eventually, I had so many glass jars, I stopped using them.

Last edited:
Sure, recycling lids and jars is great. Those lids don't have the special features of some of the commercial lids, though, which is where this started.

Oh, but the Parmesan Cheese jar lids do have some special features! That is why I mentioned them. And, they are EXACTLY like the ones they sell on Amazon -- "Shaker & Pour Spice Caps for Mason Jars" -- 6 for $13.99. (I would post a link, but I'm too new, so not allowed that yet.)

I came across them on Amazon, and had that lightbulb moment. Went to the fridge and tried one of the Parm lids on a (non-wide mouth) mason jar and it was a perfect fit. So, now I save those lids and use them or share them. :yum:

Oh, but the Parmesan Cheese jar lids do have some special features! That is why I mentioned them. And, they are EXACTLY like the ones they sell on Amazon -- "Shaker & Pour Spice Caps for Mason Jars" -- 6 for $13.99. (I would post a link, but I'm too new, so not allowed that yet.)

I came across them on Amazon, and had that lightbulb moment. Went to the fridge and tried one of the Parm lids on a (non-wide mouth) mason jar and it was a perfect fit. So, now I save those lids and use them or share them. :yum:
Yes, those particular ones do, but there are several other types of lids that don't come with commercial jars. And not everyone uses pre-shredded or ground Parmesan cheese. It's been at least 20 years since I've bought it.

Back
Top Bottom