Pickled bread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rock LaRue

Cook
Does anyone know if it is possible to pickle bread? It's the last thing standing in my way to an idea I have. I just can't think of a way to do it and I'm not that familiar with pickling in the first place. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Why would you want bread to be soggy and turn into mush while tasting like pickling juice? You might as well drink straight pickling juice.

Companies do spray lactic acid onto potato chips to produce Sea Salt & Vinegar Chips, but that's about as close as I've seen to the kind of thing you seem to be talking about.

I do remember someone posted a recipe for pickled lettuce, and part of the recipe included putting a piece of bread inside the jar as it pickled. But thats the only time ive heard of something like this .

Why would you want bread to be soggy and turn into mush while tasting like pickling juice? You might as well drink straight pickling juice.

Companies do spray lactic acid onto potato chips to produce Sea Salt & Vinegar Chips, but that's about as close as I've seen to the kind of thing you seem to be talking about.
I know. That's the problem I'm having. What if I used a really, really hard flat bread? Or perhaps is there a substitute for bread I could use? Like some sort of soy product or something?

I am more curious about your "idea" if pickled bread is the last item you apparently need.

BTW, if you Google "Pickled Bread" don't be too surprised by the sexual aspect of that term.

I am more curious about your "idea" if pickled bread is the last item you apparently need.

BTW, if you Google "Pickled Bread" don't be too surprised by the sexual aspect of that term.
I can't give away my idea yet. And about Google . . . yeah, I tried that and got the same results. (gross) That's why I came here, because I was tired of sifting through college humor sites to get the answers I need.

Instead of pickling the bread, maybe you can finely grind up some pickling spices and either incorporate it into the dough or coat the top of the bread ( as they do to bagels with onions, poppy seeds...). Maybe a little powdered vinegar to give it a tang.

Instead of pickling the bread, maybe you can finely grind up some pickling spices and either incorporate it into the dough or coat the top of the bread ( as they do to bagels with onions, poppy seeds...). Maybe a little powdered vinegar to give it a tang.

Or, just as they make an olive loaf, maybe dehydrate some pickles, and incorporate them into the dough.
Good ideas, but it's important that it can be put into jars and kept for a decent length of time (a few months). Plus, the rest of the ingredients will be pickled as well and will be part of the bread so they need to stay together.

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking :)

This thread is more than a decade old. If the OP solved the problem, which is unlikely, I doubt they'll be back to answer questions about it.
Hey, GotGarlic. Thanks for your response. I am aware that this thread is from 2009. However, it was a top Google result for “pickled bread”. Do you know how difficult it is to get reliable information about the process of pickling bread (if any)???? I’ll tell you! Very difficult.

I know it’s a long shot, but I have to try. Questioners of 2036 and beyond, this is for you, too.

Okay. Just wanted to make sure because when I first joined here, I also responded to an old thread and wondered why no one answered lol

Hardtack is probably the best option. I don’t think it’s likely to work — long-term suspension in vinegar will probably dissolve the hardtack if the brine doesn’t do it in — but nothing else is going to come close to working.

I'm not too surprised that there was no definite answer. Not knowing the end purpose made it too difficult to even suggest a solution.

I'm not too surprised that there was no definite answer. Not knowing the end purpose made it too difficult to even suggest a solution.
It was very weird, too. Why was stealth necessary? It isn’t as if someone in the forum is going to track down their IRL identity and tell their friends about their pickled sandwich experiment and ruin the surprise.

I wonder whether it’s possible to pickle the dough itself. The lack of search results suggests “no” (I’m pretty much just getting “how to stick pickles in your dough”) but some of these recipes suggest mixing pickle brine into the dough, so maybe it’s possible to add enough that you are technically pickling the dough.

I can’t help but think, however, that the dough would still be ruined by marinating in some pickle brine for days.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom