Pizza Dough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

powerplantop

Executive Chef
Pizza-For-Blog-1024x683.jpg

This pizza dough is really good. The only problem is it takes 4 days to make.

212 grams Bread Flour King Arthur in the blue bag
128 grams Water
3.5 grams Yeast
6.5 grams salt Kosher or sea salt

Weigh out all of your Ingredients.

To a stand mixer add all of your water and yeast. Add roughly half of your bread flour to the bowl. Using the dough hook mix on low for 5 minutes. Stop occasionally to scrape the bowl.

Let the dough rest for 20 minutes.
Mix the remaining flour with the salt.
Add the remaining flour and salt to the stand mixer and mix for 15 minutes. Stop occasionally to scrape the bowl. You might even have to knead in a bit of the flour.
Take a round plastic container and poke a hole in the lid (for gas to escape). Lightly oil the bowl.
When the dough has finished mixing tuck it into a ball and add it to the plastic container. Place the dough in the refrigerator. Minimum one day but four or five days makes amazing crust.

One hour before using the dough take it out of the fridge and let it come to room tempature.
Place the pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 500F. Let it sit at 500F for at least 30 Minutes before cooking your pizza.
Layout a sheet of parchment paper that is close to the size of your stone. Place the dough ball on the parchment paper and using your fingertips shape your pizza. Add your toppings and let rest for 10 minutes.

Transfer your pizza to the stone, I leave mine on the parchment paper. Cook for eight to ten minutes.

Easy Vegan Pizza Dough Recipe.

128 grams Water
3.5 grams Yeast

To a stand mixer add all of your water and yeast. Add roughly half of your bread flour to the bowl. Using the dough hook mix on low for 5 minutes. Stop occasionally to scrape the bowl.

Add the remaining flour and salt to the stand mixer and mix for 15 minutes. Stop occasionally to scrape the bowl. You might even have to knead in a bit of the flour.
Take a round plastic container and poke a hole in the lid (for gas to escape). Lightly oil the bowl.
When the dough has finished mixing tuck it into a ball and add it to the plastic container. Place the dough in the refrigerator. Minimum one day but four or five days makes amazing crust.

One hour before using the dough take it out of the fridge and let it come to room tempature.
Place the pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 500F. Let it sit at 500F for at least 30 Minutes before cooking your pizza.
Layout a sheet of parchment paper that is close to the size of your stone. Place the dough ball on the parchment paper and using your fingertips shape your pizza. Add your toppings and let rest for 10 minutes.

Transfer your pizza to the stone, I leave mine on the parchment paper. Cook for eight to ten minutes.

More or less the same as my pizza dough although I exchange a small amount of olive oil (probably a teaspoonful for this quantity of flour) in place of the equal amount of water.

And for no other reason than that I was taught to do so when I first learned yeast cookery, I add a little sugar to encourage the yeast (possibly a good pinch for this amount of yeast).

Incidentally, I find that raw dough survives well in the freezer so I often make double the amount of pizza dough, roll it out into bases (approx 6" diameter as I live alone)and stash in the freezer for use within a week or so). They defrost while you're sorting out the toppings and heating the oven. Useful when minding a neighbour's child in an emergency or you fancy a pizza in a hurry.

I will have to try freezing it. It would be nice to have when I get that pizza urge. Last time I made a triple batch in my Kitchen Aid and it was just about all that it could handel. I had to lean on it to keep it from bunching up.

Thank you, James. One of these days I want to make my own pizza crust and I'll give yours a try.

Your finished pizza is mouthwatering! :yum: I love artichoke hearts on pizza.

Thank you, James. One of these days I want to make my own pizza crust and I'll give yours a try.

Your finished pizza is mouthwatering! :yum: I love artichoke hearts on pizza.

This is a good one. This Spring in Barcelona I tried to eat all of the fresh artichokes in Spain.

Sure look delicious. Can it be doubled?

Yes, just after making the dough put each one in its own container. I have done a triple batch in my Kitchen aid mixer but that was all that it wanted. My wife was laughing as I held it down.

128 grams Water
3.5 grams Yeast

You're the first person I've ever heard confirm the multi-days rest thing for pizza dough..

When I was a kid, I delivered pizzas as a side job for a few years. I often helped the other workers fold boxes, carry in sacks of flour, and containers of syrup for the fpuntain sodas.

I always thought that it was so neat how the dough was made in a giant mixer, then apportioned, and put into oiled round aluminum containers, where I helped stack and carry them into the walk-in fridge.

The pizza baker guy used to come into the back and tell us how to rotate the resting dough tins, saying that we needed to rotate them as ordered.

After watching dozens of shows about pizza dough over the years, one might think that freshly made is better.

We could all use a little rest to be at our best, I guess,

"After watching dozens of shows about pizza dough over the years, one might think that freshly made is better. "

Well, yes, but we all need a fall-back position occasionally and being able to fish out a frozen home-made pizza base has it's place. I wouldn't freeze a fully made and cooked pizza, either home-made or shop-bought.

It's all very well for TV presenters to pontificate - they aren't working in the real world.

Bread-making day today so might make a couple of pizza bases for the freezer and one for tonight's supper.

How big pizza does this make? I have to scale it up to three

Last edited:
Like Mad Cook, I use a little bit of sugar with my yeast and always use some olive oil in the dough.

We've frozen pizza dough that we've bought from Publix. They sell it in plastic bags. It doesn't rise quite as good as fresh, but works just fine, especially for thin crust pizza after freezing.

Just a tip, you can use pizza dough with oil in it to make great garlic rolls. Just shape, place in a pan touching, let overise until they are really puffy but not to point of collapsing then cook in a hot oven, 425, and let bake until done, time depends on size and number of rolls. I've found that a mix of of EVOO and veg oil in about a 2:1 ratio, with a bunch of finely chopped garlic makes a good oil to douse the rolls in. I generally cook the oil with the garlic in it for a minute or so in the microwave to get that raw harsh garlic taste out, then let it cool while rolls are rising and baking.

I stripped the "fail safe" gear in our KA mixer while making a batch of dough for eight 12-inch pizzas. Craig just LOVED fixing that.

Last edited:
I stripped the "fail safe" gear in our KA mixer while making a batch of dough for eight 12-inch pizzas. Craig just LOVED fixing that.

Hmm, wete they metal gears?
A well engineered machine with metal gears should never strip, or slip. Or at least not for a long time. Nylon or other plastic gears suck, even if angled on a bias properly. And even then they still slip.

Did Craigsy invent any new swear words fixing it? That's always fun.

They were all metal except the one. Craig felt it was a fail safe to prevent the motor from burning out.

No new swear words. There were some TNT ones though. He's actually really good with stuff like that, just annoyed that I overloaded it so.

I stripped the same gear making too much bagel dough at once. Paid to get it fixed. Works great now that I reduced the recipe.

I stripped the same gear making too much bagel dough at once. Paid to get it fixed. Works great now that I reduced the recipe.

My KA had specific instructions on how much dough it was designed to mix (rated for 14 cups, but the biggest batch I ever make is 35 ounces (~7 cups) of flour).

It also has a very pointed warning to only knead dough with the spiral dough hook on the #2 speed setting, not faster or slower.

NOTE: Use Speed 2 to mix or knead
yeast doughs. Use of any other speed
creates high potential for Stand Mixer
failure. The PowerKnead™ spiral dough
hook efficiently kneads most yeast dough
within 4 minutes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom