Whole-grain bread FAIL - not dough but soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uscgvet

Assistant Cook
Here are the ingredients I used:
  • 4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 2/3 cup 10 grain cereal, dry & uncooked
  • 2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon yeast (instant or active dry)
  • 3 cups cool water
I mixed it, let it rise overnight (about 22 hours), it more than doubled in bulk. It was very wet, I almost poured it onto the board. I turned and turned with a scraper, kept adding flour to the soup, after maybe 20 minutes it was solid enough to put in the muffin cups. I must have added a cup of flour. I did the second rise, baked at 450 for 15 minutes. They are dry and tasteless. I'm a brand new baker so I'm so grateful for this friendly community. What do you-all reckon I did wrong? Thanks so much!

Was there anything else from the recipe? Was the rise as the recipe said?
Usually a recipe will say if the dough is going to be extremely wet, etc.

I would probably toss the recipe and head for the King Arthur site.

Good luck!
Excellent advice.

That recipe seems wonky. For example, it says use either active dry or instant yeast. Then it calls for a ton of cool water. Active dry yeast won’t work unless the water is warm.

Excellent advice.

That recipe seems wonky. For example, it says use either active dry or instant yeast. Then it calls for a ton of cool water. Active dry yeast won’t work unless the water is warm.
I'm not sure about that. I have had yeast rise with cool water. Regular yeast. But I always add a pinch of sugar. I bought a jar of it last time and I guess it will be a little while before I need any more yeast.

I'm not sure about that. I have had yeast rise with cool water. Regular yeast. But I always add a pinch of sugar. I bought a jar of it last time and I guess it will be a little while before I need any more yeast.
You're right!

My breadbaking knowledge comes mostly from that big King Arthur book as well as Artisan Breads and Jim sullivan. They left me with the impression that one needs to proof active dry yeast.

But I looked up the King Arthur website and found this:

Active dry yeast: The classic ADY manufacturing process dried live yeast cells quickly, at a high temperature. The result? Only about 30% of the cells survived. Dead cells “cocooned” around the live ones, making it necessary to “proof” the yeast—dissolve it in warm water—before using.
These days, ADY is manufactured using a much gentler process, resulting in many more live cells. Thus, it’s no longer necessary to dissolve ADY in warm water before using—feel free to mix it with the dry ingredients, just as you do instant yeast.
However, if you want to make sure that your ADY is alive and ready to work in your bread dough, proof it first, as follows:
Place ½ cup of 110°F water (slightly warmer than lukewarm) in a 1-cup liquid (glass or plastic) measure. Add the yeast called for in the recipe, plus 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, stirring to dissolve. Wait 10 minutes; the yeast is active and healthy if the foam has risen to the 1-cup mark. If you don't see any activity, buy a fresh supply of yeast. Once you’re sure the yeast is active, continue with your recipe.

Last edited:
That sounds like a lot of water for the amount of other ingredients, and, while the overnight rise helps the grains absorb as much as they can, if it's supposed to be a dough, not a batter, add more flour! But don't just add it until it won't stick to your hands, if kneading - especially with whole grain flours - as the finished product will be dry. I learned this early on (before I had a mixer with a dough hook!), and realized that for that rye bread I've always loved, I had to leave it wet, and I would just scrape the sticky mess off one hand and the table with a dough scraper, and knead more, and scrape. Also, when adding whole grain flours, remember that it absorbs the water slowly - if you add it quickly, until it's not sticky, it will really get dry, as it keeps absorbing more as it sits.

And, though your recipe didn't have any, something you might want to add is a little oil - I would do about 3 tb for that much dough. While some bread has no oil, like French bread or ciabatta, bread dries out very fast, w/o oil, esp. whole grain breads. As for the sugar, if you add any sugar, honey, agave, or molasses, don't add much for the overnight (or longer, for more flavor, but that's another topic!) rise - the flavor will develop better with the yeast fermenting by breaking down the flours. I always add molasses on bake day, in multi-day breads. The sugar, whatever type you'll use, will give a boost to the dough the next day, plus another layer of flavor, as well as helping to brown the bread.

As for that yeast, if making something with an overnight rise, you don't have to proof it, even when using active dry (unless using old yeast, and you really have to proof it - where that term originated). But to help, even with instant yeast, stir the "sponge" a couple of times, maybe 15 min apart, just to separate the granules of yeast.

As for that "hydration" concept, bread baking is not an exact science, though some will tell you that if you don't weigh things out, it won't come out right. Problem with that is that 1 c of flour in a very humid area will weigh a little more, than in an area with a very dry environment. And not only that, but that moist flour will absorb less water, in the dough, while the same weight of dry flour (more in volume) will absorb even more. When making those very wet doughs in a mixer, like ciabatta, you can weigh it out, and forget about it, as that won't matter much, with all that water in it. But the dryer breads you'll develop a feel for, adding enough flour, but leaving it somewhat wet, so it won't be dry in the end.

As for flavor, something I add frequently, partly because I love rye bread, but I also add to other breads, are seeds - caraway, dill, nigella, sesame, as well as some others, as well. You'll find some favorites, eventually.

Good luck, and keep baking!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom