Regional slang... inspired by Scott-180...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At the bottom of the South Island here we call it the rolling r's, they draw the r out in speech. My family are all from ch ch which is central South Island, we don't roll our r's. Somehow my grandkids of my son speak with it and we don't know where they picked it up from, the eldest developed it then I think her brothers picked it up from her.

Russ

Howzit Gangies!! Was up?
YO!
Hawaiian Pidgin English has been recognized as a Language, no brah, fo reals!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaolMcl8v0I

I just had to chime in!

You folks wanna talk about slang, in Hawaii this is how we speak!
It's a mix up of all of the different languages spoken in Hawaii in one beautifully difficult slang and if you didn't grow up there, it can be quite difficult.
It kinda sounds funny, like you wanna giggle when you first hear it, but REALLY, this is how we speak. A broken English mish-mash of Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Filipino, Puerto Rican, Portuguese, and Hawaiian languages; the ethnicities that came to Hawaii during the "Plantation days".
I go right back to it when ever we go home, but as soon as we leave again ...
GONE!

Oh yeah, I am Bi-lingual, my Mother told me so!

(disclaimer-this video has a coupla not so nice words)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYS0vFAnB4Q

There's a song by the Beamer Brothers that I love, it kinda sums up our culture I suppose ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9eF9tQCMbM

We all just get along in a very special place :)

This came up in two of the videos. They said that "haole" was a Caucasian. I thought it was anyone who wasn't Hawaiian. Would an indigenous person, who wasn't from Hawaii also be a haole? What about Black people from the mainland?

This came up in two of the videos. They said that "haole" was a Caucasian. I thought it was anyone who wasn't Hawaiian. Would an indigenous person, who wasn't from Hawaii also be a haole? What about Black people from the mainland?

HAAAA!!!!

Taxy, you ask very good questions ...

Haole is a Hawaiian word (and they each have many meanings, not just one) that can mean a foreigner, a person not of this land.

A "Local Haole" is a person who is born and raised in Hawaii, but not of Hawaiian descent.

Now, when you say "indigenous person" do you mean a person of Hawaiian descent?
If so, Hawaiian is Hawaiian, although I know many folks of Hawaiian ancestry who were born and raised on the mainland and can not speak Pidgin, that doesn't change them over to "Haole" though.

As for African-American or persons who are called "Black"--- in Hawaii the term we would use is "Popolo" which from Hawaiian to English to mean Black Person.

Howzit Gangies!! Was up?
YO!
Hawaiian Pidgin English has been recognized as a Language, no brah, fo reals!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaolMcl8v0I

I just had to chime in!

You folks wanna talk about slang, in Hawaii this is how we speak!
It's a mix up of all of the different languages spoken in Hawaii in one beautifully difficult slang and if you didn't grow up there, it can be quite difficult.
It kinda sounds funny, like you wanna giggle when you first hear it, but REALLY, this is how we speak. A broken English mish-mash of Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Filipino, Puerto Rican, Portuguese, and Hawaiian languages; the ethnicities that came to Hawaii during the "Plantation days".
I go right back to it when ever we go home, but as soon as we leave again ...
GONE!

Oh yeah, I am Bi-lingual, my Mother told me so!

(disclaimer-this video has a coupla not so nice words)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYS0vFAnB4Q

There's a song by the Beamer Brothers that I love, it kinda sums up our culture I suppose ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9eF9tQCMbM

We all just get along in a very special place :)

I love the harmony of Hawaiian music. I used to have it on all day on the radio when I lived there.

HAAAA!!!!

Haole is a Hawaiian word (and they each have many meanings, not just one) that can mean a foreigner, a person not of this land.

A "Local Haole" is a person who is born and raised in Hawaii, but not of Hawaiian descent.

If so, Hawaiian is Hawaiian, although I know many folks of Hawaiian ancestry who were born and raised on the mainland and can not speak Pidgin, that doesn't change them over to "Haole" though.

As for African-American or persons who are called "Black"--- in Hawaii the term we would use is "Popolo" which from Hawaiian to English to mean Black Person.
I meant indigenous, like all the various indigenous people from Turtle Island, from Africa, from Australia, Saamis, etc. Now I have another question. What about indigeous people from other Polynesian islands, say Tahiti or New Zealand?

HAAAA!!!!

The first time I heard the expression "Hapa Haole" was from my neighbor. Her daughter married a mainlander and I was told the baby was a Hapa Haole. The mother was quite distraught.

Well they just wanted him to see the weirdness of Swedish, as In Far, får får får? Nej får får lamm and it gets weirder, people really giving him tongue twisters.

Last edited:
"It's a three dog night" = You sleep with 3 dogs in/on your bed to keep you warm. The more dogs the colder it is.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom