Regional slang... inspired by Scott-180...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Grits

One of my favourite things to eat when I visit the US is grits but we don't have it over here in the UK. On my last visit I came down for breakfast and piled a large scoop of grits onto my bacon, sausage, egg and hashbrown. It was only when I dipped my sausage into the grits and put it into my mouth that I discovered it was actually porridge! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Petard is a bomb for blowing up gates, used to use human runners to deliver it at the start, then they started hurling it at gates .

Or as my daughter says a pet leopard...
Interesting.The wording over here is "Hoist with his own petard" and we were told in Junior school that it was a flag and I've never bothered to check. Fortunately I don't think I ever passed on the incorrect version to the kids I taught.

Thanks for that.

According to Wikipedia, "Shakespeare's phrase, "hoist with his own petard", is an idiom that means "to be harmed by one's own plan to harm someone else" or "to fall into one's own trap", implying that one could be lifted (blown) upward by one's own bomb, or in other words, be foiled by one's own plan."

Find worst job in history Season 1. Channel 4. Hosted by Tony Robinson, he is is petard runner there.

Heck knows who wanted that job.

OK, without looking, how many of you know what petard is?

I always thought a petard was a long spear like/type weapon due to the "hoist" onto.
Never would have thought it was a bomb. I learned something new. Thank you.

Last edited:
According to Wikipedia, "Shakespeare's phrase, "hoist with his own petard", is an idiom that means "to be harmed by one's own plan to harm someone else" or "to fall into one's own trap", implying that one could be lifted (blown) upward by one's own bomb, or in other words, be foiled by one's own plan."
To add to that, from https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/petard

"Aside from historical references to siege warfare, and occasional contemporary references to fireworks, "petard" is almost always encountered in variations of the phrase "hoist with one's own petard," meaning "victimized or hurt by one's own scheme." The phrase comes from Shakespeare's Hamlet: "For 'tis the sport to have the enginer / Hoist with his own petar." "Hoist" in this case is the past participle of the verb "hoise," meaning "to lift or raise," and "petar(d)" refers to an explosive device used in siege warfare. Hamlet uses the example of the engineer (the person who sets the explosive device) being blown into the air by his own device as a metaphor for those who schemed against Hamlet being undone by their own schemes. The phrase has endured, even if its literal meaning has largely been forgotten."

Last edited:
It is more commonly understood as a fart today.
According to the previously mentioned Wikipedia article,

"Pétard comes from the Middle French péter, to break wind, from the root pet, expulsion of intestinal gas, derived from the Latin peditus, past participle of pedere, to break wind."

You can still use "péter" in French to mean "to fart".

Swedish words that can confuse you.

Butter = grumpy
sl*t = end
fart = speed
trumpen = sullen

Boston - Parlor, tonic, bububler

Parlor is where company sits for a visit and drink tea, the family uses the den.

Tonic, Soda like Pepsi, Orange Soda

Bububler Water Fountain

Rotary - A round-about as known by the English.

And driving is considered a contact sport at any rotary

I didn’t realize “Mickey” was a Canadianism. We have mickeys, two sixers, forty pounders and Texas mickeys. These are alcohol bottle sizes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom