Regional slang... inspired by Scott-180...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Affie = very...

Cuddy = horse, donkey, pony depending on area.

Bairn = children

hem = home ( this also home in Swedish)

Aye, Eh = yes

wee = small

peely wally = very pale / sickly looking

milk bottle = also very pale

the night / t'night = tonight.

Mouse, House is pronounced as in Medieval times, which makes sound Swedish.

However this isnt slang, this is Scottish / Scottish English.

I dont get called duck, it is hen and pet and I have learned to clap the dog/ cat / horse and not pet ( it rude to pet something, it is kind to clap something).

Wow! Five pages so far. Thanks for all the GREAT replies. Keep them coming.

I just thought of another saying (not polite) that is common in Texas. It refers to someone who is an arrogant snob. "His/Her sh*# don't stink." :ermm::LOL:

CD

Oh yeah I forgot and I am sorry to you southerns in Uk, this was my oldest daughter says.

A sassenach dinner guest / Sassenach diner = a person who splits before the bill is payed, that came after Brexit and you can guess why or explain to the none brits. I am backing of from this one.

Fanny.... that is the front part of the private region of woman in UK, trust me it isnt fanny pack , it is bumbag.

Affie = very...

Cuddy = horse, donkey, pony depending on area.

Bairn = children

hem = home ( this also home in Swedish)

Aye, Eh = yes

wee = small

peely wally = very pale / sickly looking

milk bottle = also very pale

the night / t'night = tonight.

Mouse, House is pronounced as in Medieval times, which makes sound Swedish.

However this isnt slang, this is Scottish / Scottish English.

I dont get called duck, it is hen and pet and I have learned to clap the dog/ cat / horse and not pet ( it rude to pet something, it is kind to clap something).
Oh dear, "clap" in England is something entirely different!!!

I worked for an Australian company some years back and learned some strine (Australianese). One of my favorites was "He wouldn't know a tram was up him until the conductor rang the bell" (sort of like the American few bricks short of a full load). I was told that it was a Melbourne expression, and the company was based in Melbourne.

There was a pommie bastard (Englishman) who also worked for the company. He told the story of a young English schoolboy who had just arrived in the U.S. When he asked his teacher for an eraser, he used the English term, and the teacher was shocked when he said he needed a rubber.
I remember reading about official advice on use of the same word to American GIs when they were posted to GB during WW2. "Rubbers" can also mean wellingtons (boots for wearing in muddy conditions) so GIs were advised that if a member of the Women's Land Army (= female farm worker) asked if he has "rubbers" he should not assume that she is offering a bit of "rumpy-pumpy" in the hay loft!

Mad Cook, same with the word toss... not the same thing every where and it makes life hard for us who are not native.

Oh and trump = fart..

My Swedish favorite word is skräckblandad förtjusning = delight mingled with terror.. like roller coaster can be this or doing something new which both terrifying and fun.

Or as another friend said it is that feeling knowing you could die but you be laughing while doing it.

I could translate a few more weird things from Sweden.

My husband favorite Swedish word is tandkött, it means gums , but if you do it word by word it is teethmeat.

The problem with regional idioms and colloquialisms, at least for me, is that I don't think anything of them when I use them, so I can't just come up with examples easily. A lot of them aren't polite enough for mixed company either. These are a few that I can gather off of the top of my head.

You're about as useful as a screen door on a submarine -
"You're about as useful as a screen door on a submarine = "As much use as a nine bob note."
A "bob" was slang for a shilling pre decimalisation and there was no such thing as a "nine bob" note (ie "note" = the US "bill")

and

"As thick as two short planks" = "thick means Stupid
"As much use as a chocolate fireguard" Self-explanatory

An English thing, doolally = nuts, mental.

Russ
This is one is from the days of the British Empire, Deolali was a place in India (as it was then)

"Doolally", originally "doolally tap", meaning to 'lose one′s mind', derived from the boredom felt at the Deolali British Army transit camp. 'Tap' may be derived from the Sanskrit word 'tapa' meaning 'heat' or 'fever' (Courtesy - Wikipaedia but true none the less)

(By the way, I 'm not showing off. I find the origin of slang fascinating and I'm really enjoying this thread. Thank you all.)

This is shagging here in my part of the South:
https://youtu.be/8l5pczCZw04

In the UK, shagging is a crude term for having sex. Hence, back in the aughts, when I mentioned in an international email list the shag parties held every Sunday afternoon in the park down by the river, there were some pretty shocked responses :ohmy: :ROFLMAO: Not sure if the meaning is the same in Canada or Australia.

Affie = very...
"Duck" or "Duckie" as a form of affection seems to be an English Midlands word. I've never heard it elsewhere unless the speaker comes from there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom