Regional slang... inspired by Scott-180...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The wheels on his trolley departed along time ago
Few sandwiches short of picnic
Not the brightest bulb on the tree
Few fries short of a happy meal

And when it comes to the English, well pommie bastard, yeah sure but also sassenach, southern pansy, brexitarian... Yeah being part of Scottish family who believes in a free Scotland, you get to know them all.

This is shagging here in my part of the South:
https://youtu.be/8l5pczCZw04

In the UK, shagging is a crude term for having sex. Hence, back in the aughts, when I mentioned in an international email list the shag parties held every Sunday afternoon in the park down by the river, there were some pretty shocked responses :ohmy: :ROFLMAO: Not sure if the meaning is the same in Canada or Australia.
I learned that word here in Canada and I had no idea that it had anything to do with dance. I am, however, familiar with the other definition. It isn't used much, if at all, but we know what it means when it comes up in British films or TV.

I had a playful language discourse with Scott-180 on another thread, and it got me to thinking about the fun ways we say things around the country, and around the world.

So, let's list some things people say that are regional. I'll start.

Y'all. This is what got me started on this thought train, when Scott-180 mentioned it. It is pretty obvious that it is you + all, as in a group of people. My grandparents from Pittsburgh said "younz," and back when I was kid in the Northeast, it was "you guys."

Fixin. Big time Texas thing. It means "getting ready to..." "I'm fixin' to make a pot of chili."

That dog won't hunt. Basically means, that's Bulls--t.

All hat, no cattle. That is someone who talks big, but can't back it up with results.

Tump. To tip something over or dump something out. "Bubba done tumped that pot of soup on the floor."

One of my favorites, It’s better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. Hard to explain. It is like saying something isn't too bad, but not good either. In cooking terms, if you overcook a ribeye steak, you might say, "It’s better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick."

Okay, let's get this train rolling!

CD

Hey Casey,

Sorry I am late to this party, especially as I seem to have inspired it!

I think generally speaking, we brits are familiar with most of your slang because we hear it in movies all the time but I do sometimes think how strange our expressions must seem to you guys.

I would love to have been in your office when that guy told you to keep your peckers up! :LOL:

I haven't read through the entire thread so i'm not sure if this has already been mentioned but in the uk, we often refer to cigarettes as 'fags', which i believe is an offensive word for gay people in the US so sorry if I have offended anyone but when my friend and I visited a bar in Texas, i got some very strange looks when I said, "if you want me i'll be outside with a fag in my mouth"! :LOL:

Or the saying from World War II. When Americans were in places all over the world, yes even in Wellington nz. Yanks aka septic tanks.

Russ

How about being lifted by one's own pitard?

Rasxal recently posted (on another site) that he put tomato sauce on a dish. I thought it kind of nasty, until I realized he was referring to ketchup.

How about being lifted by one's own pitard?

Rasxal recently posted (on another site) that he put tomato sauce on a dish. I thought it kind of nasty, until I realized he was referring to ketchup.

OK, without looking, how many of you know what petard is?

Shag also means sex down here as well, and " jump" have a jump.
My circle of friends call women Doris's, nothing disrespectful, my nana was called Doris,lol.

Russ

When a Red Sox fan like Andy complains too much, I think he needs a nappy.

Last edited:
Kokoo koko kokko kokoon. Koko kokkoko kokoon? Koko kokko kokoon. One of the few Finnish phrases I know, I can say few more.

But being a outsider means you get yelled at a lot.

Last edited:
Petard is a bomb for blowing up gates, used to use human runners to deliver it at the start, then they started hurling it at gates .

Or as my daughter says a pet leopard...

Back
Top Bottom