Regional slang... inspired by Scott-180...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn’t realize “Mickey” was a Canadianism. We have mickeys, two sixers, forty pounders and Texas mickeys. These are alcohol bottle sizes.
A mickey here is when someone puts an incapacitating drug in someone else's drink without their knowledge: "he slipped her a mickey."

"The Mickey [Finn] is most likely named after the manager and bartender of the Lone Star Saloon and Palm Garden Restaurant, which operated in Chicago from 1896 to 1903, on South State Street in the Chicago Loop neighborhood.[2][3][4] In December 1903, several Chicago newspapers document that a Michael "Mickey" Finn managed the Lone Star Saloon and was accused of using knockout drops to incapacitate and rob some of his customers."

Ever wonder about how word-end pronunciations differ in the US? This one article I read way back, and wish I remembered to link, is humorously genius in how it says how the New England way of ending a word is this way (New England area), and how that kind of end-word pronunciation warped, changed, jumped to another part of the US and picked up differently and spoken. I know I'm not relaying this well. That article made perfect sense to me and is so funny true. I'm trying to track down that scientific humorous study :LOL:

People from New England tend to not want to use the consonant "a" at the end of of word like Cuba. They'll replace it with an "r."
They'll tend to call it Cuber, like JFK did during his Cuban crisis live broadcast. Anyways...someone did a study where all these end-word consonants end up somewhere else in the US. Truly a unique article. It made so much funny sense. :LOL:

Last edited:

People from New England tend to not want to use the consonant "a" at the end of of word like Cuba. They'll replace it with an "r."
They'll tend to call it Cuber, like JFK did during his Cuban crisis live broadcast. Anyways...someone did a study where all these end-word consonants end up somewhere else in the US. Truly a unique article. It made so much funny sense. :LOL:
Why did the Kennedys say Afriker and Cuber? Because they had two "r"s left over from Hahvad (Harvard).

Why did the Kennedys say Afriker and Cuber? Because they had two "r"s left over from Hahvad (Harvard).

Yes, but this funny study goes on to say and show that, this went this way and that went another way. That's what was so funny and undeniably true. I've GOT to hunt that 20 year old article down. It would make so much funny sense, I assure you.

Last edited:
Ever wonder about how word-end pronunciations differ in the US? This one article I read way back, and wish I remembered to link, is humorously genius in how it says how the New England way of ending a word is this way (New England area), and how that kind of end-word pronunciation warped, changed, jumped to another part of the US and picked up differently and spoken. I know I'm not relaying this well. That article made perfect sense to me and is so funny true. I'm trying to track down that scientific humorous study :LOL:

New Englanders do not like the letter "R" at the end of words. And Boston has a pronouncements all of their own. The Kennedy family, once they left Brookline, moved to the Cape and developed a pronouncement of the letter "A" of their own. Their accent is not typical of the majority of Bostonians.

Bostonians say "cah". We drop the "R" on the ending of so many of our words. And the Downeasteners are even worse. That is pronounced "downeastenis" by Bostonians.

If you want to be a really rude tourist, ask a Bostonian to say, "Park the car in Harvard Yard." First there is a huge iron fence in front of the yard, and there is nothing special about the yard. It is a lawn surrounded by dorms and students running to the next class. I have often wondered if the tourists have ever seen what a lawn looks like. Also, if you have seen it, then remember, if you want to get arrested, then try to drive your car onto the yard through the iron fence.

When I flew down to Texas to join my husband, I needed to take a cab to my destination. The poor cab driver could not understand my accent. I ended up writing it down. Aransas Pass. It was that letter "R" that had him stumped. "Uhansas Pass is what he heard.

My Grandmother and Great Aunts used "nappy" - and they were of German descent. It is very Victorian.

But in either case, I would take it as references to being a 'baby'

New Englanders do not like the letter "R" at the end of words. And Boston has a pronouncements all of their own. The Kennedy family, once they left Brookline, moved to the Cape and developed a pronouncement of the letter "A" of their own. Their accent is not typical of the majority of Bostonians.

Bostonians say "cah". We drop the "R" on the ending of so many of our words. And the Downeasteners are even worse. That is pronounced "downeastenis" by Bostonians.

If you want to be a really rude tourist, ask a Bostonian to say, "Park the car in Harvard Yard." First there is a huge iron fence in front of the yard, and there is nothing special about the yard. It is a lawn surrounded by dorms and students running to the next class. I have often wondered if the tourists have ever seen what a lawn looks like. Also, if you have seen it, then remember, if you want to get arrested, then try to drive your car onto the yard through the iron fence.

When I flew down to Texas to join my husband, I needed to take a cab to my destination. The poor cab driver could not understand my accent. I ended up writing it down. Aransas Pass. It was that letter "R" that had him stumped. "Uhansas Pass is what he heard.

Do a YouTube search on "MAHK" if you want to hear a Boston accent. CAUTION: Rough language, which is authentic Boston talk, too. :LOL:

CD

The way they say the "r" went and got to another place is just so funny and true. Then that "r" got changed and ended up different (as this article goes on). It all falls into place in a beautiful funny undeniable yet understandable way.

Last edited:
I saw a show once on PBS about how certain accents developed over time. Accents such as Bahston, New Yawk, and the Southern drawl.

The conclusion was that accents form out of both familiarity and ethnocentrism combined with a type of laziness in the muscles of the mouth. In other words, people say things in such a way that simply takes less effort to pronounce amongst people they know well.

More interestingly was that the Southern drawl was much less pronounced before the Civil War, but became much more and increasingly evident postbellum in a sort of way to hold on to what was feared would soon to be lost.

I saw a show once on PBS about how certain accents developed over time. Accents such as Bahston, New Yawk, and the Southern drawl.

That's what I was talking about. An article made a case for the "r" migrating to another part of the USA , and that was dropped out only to be changed and traveled to another part of the USA to be changed to something different. It was like they spelled it out like it was a road map. Insane, but so funny true.

Last edited:

The conclusion was that accents form out of both familiarity and ethnocentrism combined with a type of laziness in the muscles of the mouth. In other words, people say things in such a way that simply takes less effort to pronounce amongst people they know well.

More interestingly was that the Southern drawl was much less pronounced before the Civil War, but became much more and increasingly evident postbellum in a sort of way to hold on to what was feared would soon to be lost.

Tiu for got my favorite... Lawn-Guyland (Long Island). :LOL:

CD

I was treated for a speech impediment as a kid. A real bad Boston accent outta nowhere, except that my mom's maiden name was Maloney and she grew up in Boston. I couldn't firmly pronounce my "r's". I would say butta instead of butter.
My mom could pronounce it right. Weird.

Last edited:
When we did linguistics as part of our teacher training the lecturer told us that the various accents in spoken English over the whole of the US developed from the accented English of the foreign national groups that were the earliest and most prolific groups to colonise particular areas.

I have no idea at all whether this is correct so don't shoot the messenger.

Last edited:
That's so unbelievably incorrect that you should start running now. We'll give you 5 minutes.

(you know we all have guns, right?)

When we did linguistics as part of our teacher training the lecturer told us that the various accents in spoken English over the whole of the US developed from the accented English of the foreign national groups that were the earliest and most prolific groups to colonise particular areas.

I have no idea at all whether this is correct so don't shoot the messenger.

I refer back to my previous post about pronunciations. The article I'm trying to track down 30 years later spelled it out this way... "the "r's" went to the south...(and so on...)" Hope I conveyed what's hard to, but it made so much funny sense. It was funny and "Ah-ha!" too.

Yes, but this funny study goes on to say and show that, this went this way and that went another way. That's what was so funny and undeniably true. I've GOT to hunt that 20 year old article down. It would make so much funny sense, I assure you.
It was a joke. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom