Reusable Grocery Bags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mollyanne: It's a project for my Anthro class, the paper isn't about the reusable bags or who markets them, it's about the demographic that mostly uses them. Our hypothesis is that they are most commonly used by married females, ages 25-50. I don't mean to pry, it's just part of the project guidelines.

In California, plastic bags will soon be outlawed, and paper bags will cost you a nickle. It's only a matter of time for the rest of the country. For your information, I've been bringing my own bags to the grocery about once a week for a very long time. That's all I care to share.
Someone said you'd do better to stand outside a store and do the work of "observing". :glare:

Now for a more important question, do you care to discuss cooking or not?

1. How often do you go to the grocery store each week?
Several
2. Do you bring your own bags?
When I remember

I have to say I started taking my own bags when the plastic ones at the store got so cheesy, that they started ripping out on the way in mid-carry.

I shop weekly and bring my own bags, unless my stash of plastic bags for the two small trash cans is dwindling. I'm 49, married and live in Montana.

1. I used to only go weekly, but now go 2/3 times a week. Our community has moved away from the town and into the 'burbs.
2. I have my own bags in the truck, but when I've brought them into the stores, sometimes the clerks will use them, sometimes not. So I don't bother any more. Use them in the winter because they are strong and you don't want groceries spilling when it is below freezing.
3. 55, married 27 years, of French/Canadian descent.
4. Right now, Galena, Illinois, have lived too many places to list.

In Alberta, many stores are providing bags only for a price now. I've brought my bags for ages and only have them bag meat items in plastic.

So, I shop twice a week, bring my own bags, and I'm squarely in your demographic in all respects. See profile info for location. Canada might not be helpful to you.

Last edited:
3. Age/Marital Status/Ethnicity?
4. City/State?

1.)when my food budget gets beyond &750+, i get food often. if the budget lessens, i purchase less often.
2.)i use thier packaging, often for scooping the kitty-litter into a proper receptacle, & while i own several environmentally-sound totes, they're for lipstick, pens, receipts, & a few $$ rather than food items.
3.)i'm 29, unmarried although in a 9-year relationship (engaged, though), & i'm caucasion.
4.)i'm from the 'burgh in PA.

3. Age/Marital Status/Ethnicity?
4. City/State?

1. 1-2 times.
2. No, I use large, plastic, rubbermaid bins from the back of my truck.
3. 43/married/Martian
4. Chicago, you guess the state.

Thanks to those of you who helped, I truly appreciate it!
FYI, Kayelle, we used three different forms of research, this was one of them. Standing outside a few local grocery stores and "observing" was another.
It's good to be cautious though, I definitely understand.
=)

Back
Top Bottom