Roasting black beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karmann

Assistant Cook
I love roasted black beans. If I want to start with dried beans, do I soak overnight, then roast from there? Or do I have to soak, then cook, then roast?

Um...maybe like this. Soaked, cooked, then roasted with flavorings/coatings, as a snack.

Or are you thinking of 'baked beans'....where they are soaked, cooked, then put in a savory and sweet sauce and baked in a casserole?

I mean closer to the first way, only I combine them with olive oil and garlic, and sometimes another vegetable, then I roast for only about 15 min. (Don't want them crispy and dried.)

I just didn't know if I could go straight from soaking overnight to roasting, or if I had to cook them first in between the two other steps.

As you probably already know, cooking them, boiling for at least 20-30 minutes reduces the lectins in them to a negligible amount, and it is important to do that.
I don't know if you can roast them instead....but I wouldn't because I don't know if that would serve to reduce the lectins.

Kidney beans are the most dangerous to not cook enough.....
and chickpeas, I know you can soak them and then make falafels and roast them without boiling them. So black beans are a mystery to me.
If you just soak them, they aren't going to be soft enough to eat....so I'd boil them first.

I didn't know anything about that, so I will definitely look into it. Thank you! In the meantime, I will definitely soak and cook first.

Back
Top Bottom