Rubbery beef shank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
why is it that often osso boccu stays totally rubbery after hours of cooking?

i was so dissapoointed with all the investment and threw it all

i think its the beef that was not good.
anyhow it was braised in the oven with a sauce. but the sauce wasnt covering the meat. i coverrd in aluminium foil and baked for 3.5 hours. i cant explain now the whole proccess. the recipe is from a book..

Often?

I'll assume you cooked in a liquid of some kind (braise) with a moderate heat for a minimum of 2 hours, 3 is better. I really can't remember any tough cut of meat not being fork tender with the braising method. Dry, overcooked can happen but that doesn't have a mouthfeel of rubbery. The only possibility I can think of is undercooked.

Sure your not thinking dry and tough? Also too high a heat is problematic with braising, which should be in the low 300's at best. 325 is generally where I'll braise.
this is a good question.
i'm not sure if it was dry or rubbery.
i think but not sure that i cooked it on 170 c with fan.
i hope i will not forget to look in the book to know the temperature i've used for sure.

this is a good question.
i'm not sure if it was dry or rubbery.
i think but not sure that i cooked it on 170 c with fan.
i hope i will not forget to look in the book to know the temperature i've used for sure.
Yeah 170 with a fan is a little hot considering convection increases oven temp a little. Also not totally covered in a liquid for 3.5 hours could dry it out for sure, just a thought.

Seeing, braising means it is in some liquid. Should your fan be on it could easily evaporate too much liquid. This would leave the meat exposed more than it should be and subject to drying out.
The solution to that is to be sure the pot is tightly covered. As the liquid evaporates it collects on the lid and drips back down onto the meat, thereby helping it to stay moist.

it was covered with aluminum foil.

aren't there cases where the quality of meat is not good and therefore making the meat not possible to get soft enough?

i invested so much in the recipe. but it is a good lesson.

If you purchased your meat at a reliable place, then it is not the meat.
Is the recipe from a reliable source?
Has you oven been giving problems lately? Did the power go off?
If it was stove top, was the heat keeping the liquid at a gentle simmer?
When the time was up, did the meat fall off the bone? Easily pulled apart with a fork?
Did the moisture, despite the tight cover, get too low?

:doh: Sorry, hate to say this but the next fault probably lies with the cook. :flowers:

I just reread... I hope you didn't throw it away! Undercooked meat can still be cooked some more!
Only time I would throw away is if the taste was absolutely horrid.

I agree with pictonguy - reduce the temp, especially when using the convection. When I make chili, with beef cubes, I cook at a very low temp (after the browning, and other ing are added) - 275° F, which would be about 135° C, and that would be non-convection. Do you have that option in your oven? That would probably be better for braising. And, if you are planning on braising more dishes, you might want to invest in a good Dutch oven - it doesn't have to be one of those 2-3 hundred dollar ones, as there are many good, relatively inexpensive ones out there, the cheapest the cast iron ones without enamel coating, but many good enameled ones, and if you would use it much for tomatoes, or other acid things, you'll want that kind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom