Rum Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
here's one nice for this time of year!

Pumpkin Pecan Rum Cake

3/4 cup chopped pecans
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1 can (15 oz.) pure pumpkin
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Rum Butter Glaze (recipe follows)

Preheat oven to 325° F. Grease 12-cup bundt pan. Sprinkle nuts over bottom.
Combine flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt in medium bowl.
Beat butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar in large mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs; beat well. Add pumpkin and vanilla extract; beat well. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture, 1/3 at a time, mixing well after each addition. Spoon batter into prepared pan.

Bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Make holes in cake with long pick; pour half of Glaze over cake. Let stand 5 minutes and invert onto plate. Make holes in top of cake; pour remaining Glaze over cake. Cool. Garnish as desired.

RUM BUTTER GLAZE:
4. Melt 1/4 cup butter or margarine in small saucepan; stir in 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 2 tablespoons water. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in 2 to 3 tablespoons dark rum or 1 teaspoon rum extract.

Good Luck!

A Rum-&-Butter Cake I had baked at an inn:

6 oz. softened butter
1½ cups granulated white sugar
4 large eggs
3 cups flour
¼ tsp salt
4½ tsps baking powder
4 fl. oz. dark rum (I used Bacardi)
8 fl. oz. half-&-half cream
1 cup Thompson raisins
4 oz. coarsely chopped pecans, lightly toasted
¾-1 oz. pecans halves

Heat oven to 350°. Grease and line a heavy-gauge, flat-bottomed 10-in. tube pan.

Cream butter & sugar on low speed until light & fluffy. Add eggs, individually, beating well after each addition.

Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder; add to creamed mixture, alternating with the rum & cream, mixing only until the batter is smooth. Fold in the raisins and chopped pecans.

Arrange whole pecans on bottom of tube pan. Spread batter evenly in pan and bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted into thickest part of cake come out clean.

Turn cake out onto a wire grid.

Rum-&-Butter Mixture

2 oz. butter
2 fl. oz. water
1 cup granulated sugar
2 fl. oz. dark rum

Combine in small saucepan and heat until sugar is dissolved (about 120°). Perforate the hot cake with tines of carving fork and drizzle syrup over it, until it is all absorbed. Allow the cake to cool & mellow before serving with thickened cream.

Konditor...a question for you....my Dw has asked me to bake a Bayley's Irish Cream Cake...never have made a "booze" cake but was assuming that I would bake a plain yellow cake and brush the appropriate booze over the top of the cake. Is that correct? Thanks Pst :)

You can mix a glaze of Bailey's & powdered sugar to a pouring consistency and brush over the perforated cake while it’s still warm from the oven. Also, add some if the liqueur to whipped cream as an accompaniment to desserts.

Consider making a creamy Irish Coffee: For 2 servings, combine 1/3 cup Bailey’s with 1½ cups freshly brewed coffee; top with poufs of slightly sweetened whipped cream.

I’ve also enjoyed this luscious liqueur in a parfait made with coffee ice cream and in a cheesecake. It would surely be superb in chocolate mousse, too. I think it would be interesting to add a shot of Jamieson’s Irish Whisky to newly made chocolate syrup, then pouring some of it over a hot apple-pecan cake.

Thank you very much, I will be trying to make some soon! but i'm having a hard time deciding which to make... :D
Thanks!

Konditor said:
I think it would be interesting to add a shot of Jamieson’s Irish Whisky to newly made chocolate syrup, then pouring some of it over a hot apple-pecan cake.

Interesting? Bah!! It would be heavenly. Thanks for these ideas, Konditor.

Indeed, thanks for these recipes! Jamieson's and Knob Creek. My two favorites!

Jamieson's and Knob Creek. My two favorites!

Audeo: My best friend is quite knowledgeable re single-bourbon whiskeys -- and Knob Creek is one of the favorite bottles in his collection. Although, for drinking straight up, my own preference would select a glass of Spanish brandy, such as Gran Duque d'Alba or Lepanto.

Brandy. A great bone-warmer on a cold, wet night. I've actually hand a snifter of Lepanto once from a colleague who held his bottle all the way home on the plane. Beautiful hand-painted decanter with a gold stopper, so I can only imagine the price, but the taste was smooth, dark and slightly spicy. It was truly delicious, Konditor!

I haven't thought about brandy in a while. Winter is coming....

Thanks Konitor...it seems like everyday of signing on here is an education.Going to give this a trial run as the Dw would like this for the Christmas dinner. Pst :D

Bacardi Rum Cake (you could use dark or light rum)

1 cup chopped pecans
1 package yellow cake mix
1 small package instant vanilla pudding
1/2 cup dark Bacardi rum
4 eggs
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup cooking oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease and flour bundt cake pan. Sprinkle chopped pecans evenly around bottom of pan. Wisk together cake mix and pudding mix. Add rum and eggs. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed for 4 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour. Cool 10 minutes. Prick all over top of cake with a fork. Pour glaze over top and let sit for at least four hours before serving.

Rum Glaze

1/2 stick butter
2 T water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup dark Bacardi rum

Mix together water, sugar, and butter in small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Boil over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Mixture will become thick and will pull away from saucepan. Add rum, keeping face away from pan to avoid the alcohol cloud which will billow up! Stir vigorously and remove from heat. Pour slowly over top of cake.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom