Saturday, 2023 January 14, is anyone else having supper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I tried out a new to me recipe, Penne with Brie and Basil. It was okay. It was food. It was nothing special, not even worth tweaking. It was good enough that we didn't have to force ourselves to finish it.

Whole wheat penne with Brie and basil large.jpg
Whole wheat penne with Brie and basil closeup large.jpg

Sometimes when we return from OH, we get off the interstate the second day and take state and county roads. There's a cute decor shop in Warwick NY (Frazzleberries) that we'll poke around in every couple of years. Well this time we found a pie shop along the way (Shannon's Eyes on the Pies) - meat pies, specifically, although she does bake sweet treats. We walked out with two scones for today's breakfast (hers were better than most store bought, mine are a wee bit better), desserts for last night (my slice of flourless chocolate cake was delicious, Himself's mini key lime pie was OK), and two small meat pies - chicken, and pulled pork. They were both very good; I was surprised how much I liked the pulled pork, which came with purple coleslaw. While our bakery choices had mixed reviews, Himself said he would stop there again for the meat pies. I'm OK with that!

20230114_215551.jpg

First, though, salads.

20230114_212813.jpg

Saturday night pizza, wings 'n' things, and an ice-cold Diet Pepsi mini.

I tried a different method of oven-baking wings with no added fat.

I had four fresh wings that I cut into sections and patted dry. I shook the eight wing sections in a brown paper bag with a flour coating that contained onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and baking powder. Placed them on a wire rack over a baking sheet and refrigerated them for a couple of hours. I baked them for 30 minutes at 250f and increased the temp to 425f for another 40 minutes. I tossed the wings in a mixture of Frank's Red Hot sauce and butter then returned them to the oven for an additional 5 minutes to set the sauce.

These were the best home-cooked wings I've ever had. The baking powder seems to be the key ingredient to draw moisture and crisp the skin.

I want to experiment with this method of cooking for other chicken parts and also to see if the initial cooking time at 250f is really necessary.

After having Poutine & Hot Dogs for lunch yesterday (I sooo miss that from Quebec) I decided maybe a salad would be appropriate for supper.
Romaine, black olives, cucumber, HB egg, mushroom, orange & yellow sweet pepper, GS apple, can't remember what else. Was very satisfying.

Aunt Bea, sounds great! am making note of your method, thanks!

We went to a friend's birthday party where he served multiple meats and sides. The cake was purchased at a local bakery and it was amazing! All in all, a very good meal!

Back
Top Bottom