Sauerkraut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depending on which vessel Im using, I use the brine in bag method also.

the recipe I followed says that after letting the crushed cabbage sit in the salt, there should be enough liquid to completely submerge thee shredded cabbage.
I have never found that to be the case, and always had to make extra brine to add and keep everything under the liquid.

Some of that depends on the cabbage. If the cabbage has a lot of water in it, lets say a 'water laden cabbage', then when you massage it or crush it, it lets out a lot. Then I don't add extra brine. Sometimes I'm out of time and can't crush the cabbage enough or the cabbage is pretty dry, then I add the extra brine. For me it's about 50/50 which way it goes.

skillet, I've been following along. Although I make pickled cukes every summer (about to start this year's batch one today or tomorrow) but haven't tried sauerkraut. This looks interesting and doable.

Thanks, Cooking Goddess.
I've been gravitating toward the fermenting, pickling, and canning world. They say kraut is pretty easy. I'm only 5 days in but so far so good. Next might be fermented garlic. I'm also tempted to take another run at wine and shine. :)

true story: One day many years back (about 20), my youngest daughter found a bottle of apple juice back in the fridge. It looked completely normal. She poured herself a glassful, and took a swig. She came to me and said, Dad, this apple juice tastes funny. I tasted it. Wil yeast from the air must have gotten into the juice. I had apple wine. In our religion. we don't drink alcoholic beverages. But I have to admit, that sip was pretty tasty. The rest went down the sink drain.

If placed in the freezer, some of the water will form ice shards, which can be removed, resulting in the stronger apple jack. This cold distilling process is only done by a very few specialty companies any more.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

true story: One day many years back (about 20), my youngest daughter found a bottle of apple juice back in the fridge. It looked completely normal. She poured herself a glassful, and took a swig. She came to me and said, Dad, this apple juice tastes funny. I tasted it. Wil yeast from the air must have gotten into the juice. I had apple wine. In our religion. we don't drink alcoholic beverages. But I have to admit, that sip was pretty tasty. The rest went down the sink drain.

If placed in the freezer, some of the water will form ice shards, which can be removed, resulting in the stronger apple jack. This cold distilling process is only done by a very few specialty companies any more.

Yup. Never made "good" wine; a little better than "prison" wine; maybe on par with good "dorm room" wine. Jack, made by freezing 10 to 12% apple wine becomes a potent elixir. Thought of that when Larry was talking about his less than stellar apple wine.

I and a buddy, when we were about 17 years, obtained a full bottle of pre-mixed screw-divers that we took with us out ice fishing. It was a balmy 10' F., if I remember correctly. We left the bottle outside to get frost cold. We left it out a little too long. Again, the water froze ti ice, leaving us with some very potent screw-drivers to drink. We only drank a little, as we knew we would have to leave the toasty ice shack, and head home when it got dark.

The fishing was good too, with several rock bass, and jumbo perch caught and taken home. I think we got one Northern Pike as well.

Back on topic - I have made sour kraut with cabbage and brine, Placing in half gallon mason jars, covered with fine weave, food grade muslin. secured in place with rubber bands. The cabbage was weighted down with a sterilized ramekin filled with brine, to keep everything submerged. After about 10 days, I was pleasantly surprised at how good ot was.

Skillet, you got this.

Last edited:
I and a buddy, when we were about 17 years,...

I was not much older. In the soviet army at the time, we were about to celebrate a New Year, bought couple of bottles of Vodka. Successfully brought them in on the Base. Were almost to our barrack when we got a warning that an officer have not left and was checking everybody coming in. Quick thinking and both bottles ended up hidden in the snow bank. That was probably around 6 or 7 in the evening. Officer did not leave until 2 in the morning. When we get to our vodka it was not frozen, but it was a sick as a good liquor, or more, you could nearly eat it with a spoon. What can I say, we had a very good New Year celebration. :ROFLMAO:

Started eating my sauerkraut after eight days fermenting at room temperature, ~80°F. It was okay, I guess. Too salty and too crunchy for my taste.

I hoped for a "softer" texture after aggressively pounding cabbage sliced as thin as I could manage. This kraut would probably be judged as having a pleasant crunch to most folks but I am dentally challenged.

More importantly, my blood pressure went up 10 or 15 points. I ate quite a lot over a couple days but I'm trying to make food that benefits health, not stuff that has to be eaten in moderation. Too much moderation required already.

I'm not ready to give up though. As I understand it, all that salt is required is to give the bacteria present on the vegetable a chance to get well established before their harmful kinfolk can spoil the neighborhood. But I already have quarts of acidic whey in the fridge as a by-product of making kefir cheese. So apparently I can turn the SCOBY in that whey loose on cabbage and stuff to ferment with less or no added salt. There are a lot of web articles and YouTubes on the topic. Here's one from Spruce Eats.

So since I'm already considering straying so far from the traditional kraut method, I'm wondering if I can't break the other cardinal pickling rule and soften up my raw vegetable by cooking it a little first. That is verboten by sauerkraut police because it kills lactobacillus on the cabbage leaves but if I'm supplying it and other bacteria and yeast with homemade whey, does it hurt the fermentation process to solve my texture problem by parboiling the cabbage?

Last edited:
I think it sounds very plausible to make sauerkraut with whey and parboiled, thinly sliced cabbage. I would try with a small batch. BTW, skilletlicker, how are you slicing the cabbage? Are you using a mandolin or a food processor?

to make your existing sour kraut more to you needs, yo might try rinsing it in cold water to remove some of the sodium, the steaming it to soften, like you would been sprots. Just a thought.

to make your existing sour kraut more to you needs, yo might try rinsing it in cold water to remove some of the sodium, the steaming it to soften, like you would been sprots. Just a thought.

Yeah, that would help with the current batch. But, that counters some of the benefits. It rinses off the good micro-organisms and then kills the ones that weren't rinsed off.

Thanks for the encouragement. I've eaten most of that first batch already and none of what little is left will go to waste. I started slicing cabbage with a mandoline but found a knife worked better. It is pretty finely sliced. Except for overly salted, I like the flavor. The caraway and dill seed contribute nicely. When yellow mustard seeds get low I'll buy brown instead. Rinsing would lose all that and most of the "sauer."

In the interest of changing one variable at a time, I'll try replacing most of the salt with whey first; then precooking, boil or roast on a subsequent batch. Mary's Nest, one of YouTubers I've listened to, said that using kefir whey to jump start vegetable ferments definitely works but imparts a flavor she doesn't care for in sauerkraut. Just cutting way back on the salt will change the flavor a lot so we'll see about all that too.

Mr bliss and I talked about how many cabbages we'll need to buy for 3 gallons of sauerkraut to eat raw, keep in the fridge for winter, and give away. I made kimchi yesterday and 1 medium cabbage made about 1/2 gallon. We don't grow it and we came up with about 5-8 medium cabbages. It's running 29 cents/lb so now is when we'll do it, or soon this week. My mouth waters at the thought of the new fresh stuff.

We started 24 lbs of cabbage for sauerkraut on the 22nd of august, the day temperatures are 90 deg F, and it fermented fast.
Today it is day 5, it is crunchy and sour, really delicious. I've never had sauerkraut ferment so fast. Now I need to divvy up the 3-4 gallons into containers for the fridge and for the neighbors. I'm thrilled! I'm still shocked how fast it fermented. Beautiful stuff!

Thanks for asking taxlady. Not yet but I have a green cabbage in the icebox for that purpose. I think I'll try to do exactly what I did the first time with the only variables being green cabbage instead of savoy and unsalted whey instead of 2% brine. Not going to precook the cabbage to soften because many people say the whey accelerates the ferment so much that the risk is vegetables can become too soft.

Probably start it today or tomorrow and report results later.

Another batch of sauerkraut, this one for 2022. 24 lbs of cabbage half from the garden and half from the store. 39 cents/lb this year. 1 cup of salt a little water, all the cabbage, almost a cup of active apple cider vinegar. It turned out so good last year.....and I'm hoping for the same this year. We make ours in 5 gallon food grade buckets, topped with an upside down plate, then a zip lock bag full of salt water, covered in a towel. It took mr bliss and myself 25 minutes to put all that cabbage through the shredder on the food processor. Well worth our time.

Back
Top Bottom