Slow Cooker Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
I have a couple of recipes for one that is done in the slow cooker. One Dish Kitchen suggests that should you not have a small sized one to just use/place an appropriate sized oven proof dish in your regular sized slow cooker.
I can see this working for a ceramic insert type of slow cooker, but I have a metal one with a no-stick coating.
Would not heating in this insert cause a problem with the coating as there would be no liquid actually touching it?
Would it not cause it to (eventually peel off, just as a non-stick frypan would peel should it be constantly preheated empty?

I don't really want to buy a smaller slow cooker but will if using the one I have would likely ruin it.

Wouldn't whatever your cooking have liquid that would disperse over, under, around and through the entire crock, plate or no plate?

You have to choose a bowl large enough to contain it. If it were to run all over it would leave the foods in the bowl/plate without enough juice. Dry leather would ensue and in all probability the liquids that did spread thru-out the rest of the cooker would be so thin as to be evaporated and burn. Kaka patouii. IMHO

I have a six quart slow cooker, and use it for both large (e.g. Boston butt roast) and smaller (e.g. roast chicken). Mine has a ceramic insert so I suppose I could use a bowl for smaller amounts, but I don't see why using a larger cooker for a smaller amount would be a problem.

Slow cookers work best when they are about 3/4 full. If there isn't enough, your ingredients will cook way too fast and lose the benefits of the slow cooker. They could easily dry out, just plain overcook. I like to be able to start something and have it 3 or 4 hours later.
I am making a recipes for one - :LOL: big difference from making a roast chicken or Boston butt! and seeing as I don't make those anymore... well, as I said, don't really feel like buying another appliance, storage is non-existent here.

Hi Dragn. As we know I am a newbie with pressure cookers, but as you say, they do recommend 3/4 full for best results. HOWEVER, I have experimented a couple of times with just 1/4 full and still had great results. As long as there is enough liquid/volume to create the necessary pressure, it should be okay. But that does depend how big your pot is. (Not sure if that helps or not, but thought I would throw it into the mix.)

Could you partially fill the crockpot with boiling water and set the smaller covered casserole in it, sort of a Bain Marie .

Also, another vote for using the conventional oven at a low temp or simmered on the stovetop in a double boiler.

Hi Aunt Bea! That seems like an excellent suggestion for putting the smaller dish inside the pressure cooker!

The problem with using the oven (certainly over here in the UK) is the cost! If you use the pressure cooker for a short spin on the hob it is vastly cheaper than using the oven for several hours - even on a low setting.

Hi Aunt Bea! That seems like an excellent suggestion for putting the smaller dish inside the pressure cooker!

The problem with using the oven (certainly over here in the UK) is the cost! If you use the pressure cooker for a short spin on the hob it is vastly cheaper than using the oven for several hours - even on a low setting.
I’m fortunate that my cooking gas and household electric costs $55 - $60 per monthly billing cycle. Most of it is for delivery charges and fees, I rarely exceed the minimum amounts included in the service. My heat and hot water are included in my monthly rent.

I’m fortunate that my cooking gas and household electric costs $55 - $60 per monthly billing cycle. Most of it is for delivery charges and fees, I rarely exceed the minimum amounts included in the service. My heat and hot water are included in my monthly rent.
Wow, that is very lucky! I am extremely envious! My gas (which is for heating and hot water only) is currently costing £146 a month. Electricity is much more reasonable at £47 a month.

And I have just realised that Dragn was asking about a Slow cooker and there was me banging on about a pressure cooker! However, Dragn, why not use a pressure cooker instead?

Well, I have several reasons for preferring a slow cooker to the other methods. Yes, I am well aware of several ways to make recipes for the slow cooker on the stove top or in the oven. That is exactly how I did all those recipes before I got my slow cooker. :LOL:

So, at the moment - the biggest reason is I refuse to turn on a large oven for several hours for a single serving. Actually 2nd oven negate is, I'm not really wanting to heat up my DIL's kitchen for a tiny bowl in this summer heat for her to come home to tired and having to make their own supper. 3rd is, my toaster oven has a time limit of 30 minutes so it would mean coming in/back to reset everything each time. 4th, my toaster oven should I want to use it and traipse back and forth - means I cannot use any other appliance for the duration as they are all on the same circuit. (don't ask)
Stove top, again several reasons, first and foremost, it is a single induction burner. I think I saw a button that says simmer but I have not played with it and don't really trust nor feel like (at the moment at least) to stand over it and make sure it is a true simmer and for the length of time that I would need. To boot... it does not have graduated heat controls - but set degrees, no in-betweens! You can have 140 - 195 -250 - 300 - 355 - 400 - 430. nothing in-between.

Aunt Bea, I thought of the water surrounding. Somehow all that extra humidity added just doesn't sit right with me. But - it seems to be the best option.

and now I just seen silicone liners for crock pots - slow cookers. huh..

I think this small one (from your link) will likely be able to store in your big one. I would just opt for getting the proper size. So much easier, all around and you won't have to risk the big one. And only 15 buck with same day deliver for free (at least here). I say, splurge! Treat yourself and enjoy your recipes.

1692280391916.png

You know how I adore cooking gadgets/stuff. I love Ginny's idea of the itty-bitty slow cooker. :LOL:

I was going to suggest that you purchase some sealer silicone bags and drop it in water in your slow cooker as Aunt Bea suggested with the bowl. However, the bags, though reusable, cost more than the slow cooker listed above and are likely a bigger pain in the backside. :flowers:

Had to run to the dentist for a 10 am appointment. Just seconds before I left I clicked on the "purchase" button. LOL should get it tomorrow. But here (Canada) the prices aren't quite the same, 1.5 is $24.30 cdn and the 2 qt is $29.

What is really annoying is all the prices for different colours. I had already placed the order but have only just now seen the differences - anyhow, sticking with my choice - savings not worth the hassle.
I opted for the red 2 qt one. Total plus tax is $33.81.

That link is great Aunt Bea, thanks. Basic Crock Pot Beans

I have a question on some o the recipes. They are all for 6 quart and larger. My 'large' slow cooker is only 4 quarts. Bought it small on purpose as a single person. I have made regular meals for 4 or 6 but I'm pretty sure most of these are just too big. NOR do I want to make so much in advance.

Can I pretty much just divide the recipes in half? What about timing?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom