So... what's your specialty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Egg rolls, fried fish and potato salad.Any kind of milk gravy, so many folks say my gravies are so good. I think it's only because they have a hard time making gravies tho.Just takes practice.

Thump.. I have tried and tried again to make gravies for a year they were lumpy or tasted like flour. Just a couple of months ago I have been making them to taste very good. My problem was, I wasn't browning the rue(not sure about the spelling)enough. Now, I can make a kick a#$ gravy.

Probably fusion type dishes. Incorporating Asian, French, Italian, Latin, and American ingredients and techniques to make new and different flavors. Some of the latest include:
  • Grilled Filet Mignon with "Gingered" Maitake and Shimeji Mushrooms, Ponzu Butter Sauce, and Shiso Oil
  • Pan Seared Prosciutto Wrapped Halibut with Dayboat Scallop, Watercress Coulis, and Thai Curry-Lemongrass Oil
  • Pan Seared Fillet of Atlantic Sea Bass with Heirloom Tomato "Tartare" and Nicoise Olive Nage
  • Oven Roasted Tomato "Carpaccio" with Foie Gras, Shaved Fennel, Fig-Balsamic Syrup, and Truffle "Vinaigrette"
BTW, the new format to the site rocks.

Last edited:
nicole said:
Thump.. I have tried and tried again to make gravies for a year they were lumpy or tasted like flour. Just a couple of months ago I have been making them to taste very good. My problem was, I wasn't browning the rue(not sure about the spelling)enough. Now, I can make a kick a#$ gravy.

It is a roux. It is amazing what you can do once you have mastered making a roux.

For me - it all depends on who you ask - some of the people in the brewclub will say Mead. Others might say light ales.

I think my wife would say my specialty is making a mess! ;)

John

fruit tart...

nothing original here - everything I've learned came from Julia Child but I'm always asked to contribute one at holiday dinners and when our coop building has a party I'm commissioned (they like them so much the coop board even pays for the ingredients).

The whole process is rather labor-intensive but the finished product looks quite professional. Tastes great too.

I guess my specialty would be big hearty breakfasts. I get compliments on nearly everything I cook but I can honestly say that I best at making breakfast.

It'd have to be chili. It's hard to make good chili here because it's ALL got to be from scratch. No mixes or envelopes of seasonings to help you out. My American friends think my chili is the best in Germany... or Munich at least. :)

Y'know, I have never really considered my "specialty". I mostly just LOVE food. I think BIG meals would be it for me. Serving a crowd. I know it freaks my Mom out, but I am in my glory when I have a big pile of people to feed.

Oh, dear. I'm writing this before reading what everyone else has written, but can't resist.

#1 is that no one I know, and definitely no restuarants, can made pasta with red sauce better than I can. My red sauce varies in the season (canned, fresh, sausage, vegetarian, great herbs from the garden in the summer, but dried in the winter), but it is the very best. Once-upon-a-time my husband made the pasta from scratch, but we happened on to a bad pasta roller and I've yet to buy him a new one. But Barilla does a great job, and I'm the best tomato sauce cook, bar none. And it isn't even a favorite dish of mine!!
#2 is I make the very best artichoke dip. This is a hoot because it started with a recipe from a sis who hates to cook. I've changed it a bit over the years, but many freinds have told me it is their favorite, and it is in much demand during the holidays.

Grilled veggies, schnitzels of all kinds. But the above are probably what i'm "known for".

By the way, Nicole, always have Wondra flour on hand. It will never lump up, and you can either make a roux or jus a slurry, and it will always work. I didn't mention it above, but in fact many freinds have me make the gravy when it comes to turkey meals, and I always use a slurry, and it always is delicious (no, not 'floury', maybe because I use lots of sage and thyme).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom