Sour Cherries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
I wish cherries grow without pits. A lot of work before this becomes preserves IMG_0560.jpg

That's a lot of cherries. Do you want to keep the cherries whole, just minus the pits? Or are you making something with crushed or chopped cherries?

I have, and use this cherry pitter - https://www.amazon.com/Obecome-Cherry-Pitter-6-Cherries/dp/B01B5YXJAW/ref=pd_lpo_79_t_1/135-9557666-1681201?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01B5YXJAW&pd_rd_r=6c6dc168-65e7-463f-aca1-4426146ddd5f&pd_rd_w=s1MH2&pd_rd_wg=Co7fC&pf_rd_p=fb1e266d-b690-4b4f-b71c-bd35e5395976&pf_rd_r=6KGPANQA2GYGV116K4ED&psc=1&refRID=6KGPANQA2GYGV116K4ED

it works as advertised, and works well. You do need to check the cherries after pitting, as occasionally, the cherry won't be placed into the pitter tray correctly, and the pit not be cleanly removed. It sure is a lot easier than using a paring knife, or single pitting device.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I have, and use this cherry pitter - https://www.amazon.com/Obecome-Cherry-Pitter-6-Cherries/dp/B01B5YXJAW/ref=pd_lpo_79_t_1/135-9557666-1681201?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01B5YXJAW&pd_rd_r=6c6dc168-65e7-463f-aca1-4426146ddd5f&pd_rd_w=s1MH2&pd_rd_wg=Co7fC&pf_rd_p=fb1e266d-b690-4b4f-b71c-bd35e5395976&pf_rd_r=6KGPANQA2GYGV116K4ED&psc=1&refRID=6KGPANQA2GYGV116K4ED

it works as advertised, and works well. You do need to check the cherries after pitting, as occasionally, the cherry won't be placed into the pitter tray correctly, and the pit not be cleanly removed. It sure is a lot easier than using a paring knife, or single pitting device.

Thank you for the recommendation. I searched for it on Amazon.ca and it costs CAD 55.99 :ohmy: But, there are other brands that cost a lot less and one of them, that looks the same, says, "Yillsen Cherry Pitter Stoner & Olive Tool - 6 Cherries Seed Remover - Red" for CAD 21.99. That sounds interesting. I seldom buy fresh cherries. When I do, we usually just eat them fresh. So, I have very little use for a cherry pitter. But, a device for removing the stones for olives would get far more use at this house. We use Kalamata olives in pasta sauce, chili, and hummus. I get tired of cutting olive off of the stones.

Have you tried castelvetrano olives? Not as salty as others, and a buttery finish. My favorite olive. 2nd favorite, Lindsey's ripe, green Naturals.

I gave several different putters. No matter what kind you have, it’s a lot of work.
I wish I could get to famous Michigan cherry farms. It’s not cheap, but they sell them already pitted. Best way to go.
As far as use. I’m planning on making some cherry preserves. Some will be frozen and in the fall/winter will make pirogi with cherries. I’ll probably make some cherry compote, those do not need to be pitted. Just add some sugar and boil fir few minutes, serve cold.

Here yuh go Charlie!

Just pay the shipping! Vintage cast iron cherry pitter! LOL Still works but think it might need to be cleaned up a bit. :LOL::LOL:

sorry sideways again, wasn't expecting to post them here.

You just put the cherries in the wide mouth, turn the crank and they spit out the other end.

I really don't know if the pits are pushed to come out one side and the cherries the other. When I've looked down the funnel - I don't think so but it certainly seems easier. than one at a time.

Attachments

• 20210614_151000.jpg
    20210614_151000.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 20210614_151131.jpg
    20210614_151131.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 53
Looks like you got your work cut out for you. Im hoping to go cherry picking next Saturday. Went a few years ago and had a blast. Wont be getting nearly as many as you have.

I haven't tried this, just an idea. Cook down cherries, pits and all. Rhen strain though a course-mesh wire strainer to remove seeds. When as much cherry is filtered through the strainer, rinse with enough fresh water to get as much cherry as possible back into the pot. Process cherries for your recipe, simmering to reduce excess fluid. Might be worth a try. I know first hand that it works to remove the pits from choke cherries.

Looks like you got your work cut out for you. Im hoping to go cherry picking next Saturday. Went a few years ago and had a blast. Wont be getting nearly as many as you have.

Right now, I wish I did not get this many. I just started cooking them. It’s at least two hours, probably more.
When will I learn? I told my self many times not to make more than 1 kilogram.

Right now, I wish I did not get this many. I just started cooking them. It’s at least two hours, probably more.
When will I learn? I told my self many times not to make more than 1 kilogram.

Do you have a cherry tree? Buy them? Get them from someone with a cherry tree?

Do you have a cherry tree? Buy them? Get them from someone with a cherry tree?

I have cherry tree. But this year harvest was the best ever.
I didn’t have anything at all last year. One year dear ate them all. Unless it was somebody in the neighborhood, I doubt.
I have bought some in the past couple of times.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom