Stainless steel canning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gunslingor

Assistant Cook
Is there a better canning system than mason jars? Why not stainless steel? Why do we need thst silicon seal, ain't there another way? Something more reusable more practical, more durable... one piece tops.

The LDS also can vegetables/meat in their canning groups in cities. They have the equipment and can use the metal cans.

University extension service out of Alaska. Canning fish in metal cans.

tattler makes a plastic lid with a rubber seal (there are competing companies that make these), and they use the standard canning ring. These are reusable tops. The rings should be replaced every 7-15 times they are used. I use hundreds of the wide mouth and regular tattler rings and lids for canning.

I dont know guys. I'm an engineer and feel like the canning industry might be price gouging us and making our lives harder. They charge almost as much for the lids as the jars, and its just a pain. There has to be a better system. Even the jars of stuff you buy in the grocery store seem superior... but I'm really looking for better.

It is more than possible to create an air tight seal with a stainless materials, glass too I think they do it for weed and lab equipment. It's just a mater of precision.

There has to be a glass or stainless container that screws on, single material, lasts forever, works for canning and is easy peasy.

Canning was invented under Napoléon... it hasn't gone anywhere since, really?

Hi gunslingor, Welcome to DC.

What about the old time glass lids with the metal snap downs. But even those need the rubber replaced over time. Plus the jars and lids need to be carefully checked for chips

Yeah, bought those years ago, now I don't trust them and too many sizes to find rings.

Would that work? If a selling material between jar and lid is truely needed, I should be able to sort of paint the rim rather than buy junk over and over... these cheap two piece lids only can be used once, rust and are overpriced... such waste... time money and material.

These ones are real antiques but I think more modern ones are available. But there is still an rubber ring necessary in order to seal between the glass lid and jar.
If you make a seal yourself and paint it on. It must be able 'to give' in order to allow steam to escape, not to mention being food safe. You will also have the extra job of cleaning it off the lid and top of the jar to start with a 'clean slate' for next usage.

I might add that in the jars now, with the lid and separate rings. Yes the little lids need to be replaced but they are not that expensive! The screw down rings don't - at least not very often. Once your canning is finished and they are properly sealed, you should be removing those rings and store the jars without them. The rings should be then washed and dried thoroughly, stored in a dry area - they won't rust. At least not for a pretty long time.

Antique Canning jars.jpg

Jams, jellies and sauces mostly.

Thanks, good advice. I don't understand why you store without rings though, isn't it better puece of mind with it on? A little pressure to open doesn't seem like a good approach.

Jams, jellies and sauces mostly.

Thanks, good advice. I don't understand why you store without rings though, isn't it better puece of mind with it on? A little pressure to open doesn't seem like a good approach.
With the rings off, it's easier to tell when the seal on a lid fails and you can dispose of the contents asap.

Plus that is where you will get your rust with moisture between the glass and the ring. That rust makes it very difficult to open the jar. You also don't need it to keep the lid on.

The suction created keeps those lids down very tight. They are not going to come off accidently - if they do then they probably weren't sealed well in the first place.

Last edited:
If your food is rotting in the jar, the lid pops off from the gases produced, which is why the rings are better off the jar, than on it.

@gunslingor
In the US (and Canada I think) we can according to the usda and university extension services. But in europe they use other standards and different jars and different lids. I believe they use one piece lids. These are available at fillmore online. Decide what standards you are going to use for canning, the process and materials and then go with that. The US and Europe standards just aren't the same so don't expect them to be.

I saw this week, that in BC canada the jars were almost $4/jar by the dozen (canadian money), and here in the US in the midwest (wisconsin) we can find them for about $1/jar by the dozen (american money).

I use hundreds of jars per year, and then re-use them the next year, etc, unless they break or chip or crack. I'm pretty sure I get my $$ out of them.
I give my friend jars of things we can, and sometimes she cans too. Today she gave me a case of pints of empty jars. I'll wash them and use them for canning. Used jars here are also something we can get, for about $0.40/qt jar, and less for the smaller sizes. There are many great grandmother's and aunt's canning supplies in people's basements and they don't can with them, they just collect dust. So we buy them.

The lids are really expensive around here compared to the jars and the rings. It runs about 50 cents or more per lid. While six bucks per dozen won't break me, I do wish there was a reusable method even though I can very little by comparison of others.

The lids are really expensive around here compared to the jars and the rings. It runs about 50 cents or more per lid. While six bucks per dozen won't break me, I do wish there was a reusable method even though I can very little by comparison of others.
some people love the tattler re-useable lids and rings, some people don't. It takes a little practice to get them to seal, tightening, JUST enough, finger tight and backing off 1/4 inch. I get 90% to seal, sometimes 100%.
They cost about 75cents/each.

I think I have heard of these before, but was worried that they would be too hard to use. Hmm. Do you use them often? How long did it take you to get it right?

I've been using them for about 7 years. There are two differences in how to use them. Tighten finger tip tight, then back off 1/4 inch (this give them room to let out steam). Then after removing the jars to the counter, tighten them up using hot pads (that 1/4th inch turn).
It is just getting use to them and paying attention to those details. I will continue to use them even with the occasional failure because of the cost. We just freeze or refrigerate and use the ones that don't seal.
For instance, we canned about 36 jars of apple sauce, out of those 2 didn't seal, we've eaten them. It doesn't really bother me.
Another example, the first 36 jars of tomato sauce, all sealed and I've run out of tattlers and am using metal lids now.

I've been using tattlers for years when I came across that site above.
So I ordered 500 lids to add to my collection. I haven't counted what I use for a few years now.

Last edited:
Awesome! I just bounced over to the website for Tattler and they are having a 15% off sale with free shipping. I bought 3 dozen to try. I like to reuse things....and am my frugal mother's child. ;) Less than a dollar a lid!

Awesome! I just bounced over to the website for Tattler and they are having a 15% off sale with free shipping. I bought 3 dozen to try. I like to reuse things....and am my frugal mother's child. ;) Less than a dollar a lid!
It's a deal! I hope you like them. I will remind you, to can things YOU use and use the tattlers. To can things for OTHERS, use metal. It keeps me from worrying if they'll return my lids!

bliss, don't know where you saw them for $4.00 a jar! WOW! Were they specialty styles or something?
Here, brand new, Bernadin, our most common mason jars are under $15.00 a case, including snap lids and rings. (Cdn$) $1.25 ea
Sometimes fancier ones are a couple of bucks more.
Replacement lids run about $5.50 a doz. (Cdn$) $.46 ea
there are fancier ones for the lids as well, with a higher price.

I agree I think the lids are a bit expensive. If I was still canning I would buy those Tattler ones in a flash!
So they are a pliable plastic? But stiff enough to snap? and do they snap up and down like the metal ones?

Back
Top Bottom