Sunday, November 26, 2023 - What's on the Table?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kathleen

Cupcake
Taking a page from others on here, I made turkey soup with the leftover carcass. We have also been trying to use up odds and ends of other leftovers. Everyone had soup and some kind of T-day side. Mine was fresh cranberry sauce with orange zest. What did you have?

20231126_175756.jpg

I made beef shoulder chuck roast in a slow cooker, and served it with rice pilaf (instant mashed potatoes for the wife) and boiled carrots. After seven hours, the meat was still not tender so I turned my instant pot into a pressure cooker and did fifteen minutes under pressure, which did the trick. Very tender, very tasty.

I am feeling kinda out of it today. I have too much food in the fridge and really wanted to use some up. But, I just wasn't up for it, so we ordered Chinese food. It was delicious. We didn't order a lot, but have too many leftovers. I had to, as DH put it, play refrigerator Tetris to get it all in.

Stir-steamed vegetables: broccoli, mushrooms, red and yellow peppers, onions, more peppers, broccoli stems, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, glaze of cornstarch, over veggie rice. Served with stir fry sauce or not.

I was going to make potato soup, but I wanted a little space between it and the blue cheese and cheddar potatoes. So I ended up going to Safeway today to get some hand soap and fill a couple propane tanks and ended up just getting a Subway sandwich for supper.

That was all I needed for supper tonight. I'll make the soup tomorrow. I have to move furniture tomorrow so I'll be home all day to mess with it.

cjmmy - peanut butter and cranberry sauce? :LOL:

I did another roast chicken in the slow cooker. The leftovers will be great - but I'm glad I wasn't doing it for company. Pretty much nothing compared to the other one, this one was not only sipid but I obviously didn't brown/sear the skin the same as I had the other. The other one was so very sapid and I was so looking forward to this one.

Also heated some Cabbage soup but never got to it, just too tired to dish it out.

I made a marinade using olive oil, yellow mustard, fresh dill, fresh garlic, soy sauce, ginger, lemon juice, and honey for salmon, which I baked in the marinade so it made a nice, thick and flavorful sauce. I served the salmon over a bed of field greens with chopped seedless cucumber and drizzled it with a bit of the marinade sauce, balsamic vinaigrette, sesame seeds, and toasted sesame oil. I about licked the plate!

I made a marinade using olive oil, yellow mustard, fresh dill, fresh garlic, soy sauce, ginger, lemon juice, and honey for salmon, which I baked in the marinade so it made a nice, thick and flavorful sauce. I served the salmon over a bed of field greens with chopped seedless cucumber and drizzled it with a bit of the marinade sauce, balsamic vinaigrette, sesame seeds, and toasted sesame oil. I about licked the plate!
I would like this post, but I can't stomach cooked salmon. Other than that, it sounds delicious.

I would like this post, but I can't stomach cooked salmon. Other than that, it sounds delicious.
I like it raw in sushi but I dislike cold smoked salmon, I like hot smoked. The salmon I made last might was not sushi grade so I felt the need to cook it.

I like it raw in sushi but I dislike cold smoked salmon, I like hot smoked. The salmon I made last might was not sushi grade so I felt the need to cook it.
I love it cold smoked or gravad. I don't bother buying sushi grade salmon to make gravad laks. I just make sure it has been frozen at -18°C (0°F) or less for at least a week. That will kill any parasites. The salmon I buy is from a co-op of fisherfolk in British Columbia, so it's always sustainably, wild caught, and frozen before I get it.

Once the colour of the flesh changes to light pink, it is inedible to me. I find it a bit bland in sushi.

I love it cold smoked or gravad. I don't bother buying sushi grade salmon to make gravad laks. I just make sure it has been frozen at -18°C (0°F) or less for at least a week. That will kill any parasites. The salmon I buy is from a co-op of fisherfolk in British Columbia, so it's always sustainably, wild caught, and frozen before I get it.

Once the colour of the flesh changes to light pink, it is inedible to me. I find it a bit bland in sushi.
I find it slimy. I don't mind the flavor but the texture is icky.

I like smoked salmon. Never noticed if it was cold smoked or not. I prefer the wild salmon.
But whatever the source or how it is smoked - it must be super thin and DRY. too thick or wet (yeah, slimy) is a quick gag trigger.

Just bought some to make little pinwheels for my brother's Gingerbread weekend. Tortillas, spread on some cream cheese (this time I'm using an herb flavoured one), add a layer of smoked salmon. Roll up, chill well, slice into pinwheels. Great finger food!

I like smoked salmon. Never noticed if it was cold smoked or not. I prefer the wild salmon.
But whatever the source or how it is smoked - it must be super thin and DRY. too thick or wet (yeah, slimy) is a quick gag trigger.

Just bought some to make little pinwheels for my brother's Gingerbread weekend. Tortillas, spread on some cream cheese (this time I'm using an herb flavoured one), add a layer of smoked salmon. Roll up, chill well, slice into pinwheels. Great finger food!
Hot smoked salmon flakes apart and couldn't be rolled. I don't think it could be sliced thin very easily (it usually comes in a 4 oz. whole piece about 1" thick), but it likely would fall apart if you attempted to roll it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom