T.G.I.Firday! - What's Cookin'? 9/17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Grilled Tavern Ham Steak, Mustard Aoli, Roasted Sprouts, Pineapple Rice...........

Ham Steak, Pineapple Rice.jpg

Chicken soup over brown rice topped with grated cheese.

chicken_soup_091721_IMG_8639.jpg

Going easy-peasy tonight, really tired today.

IMG_5632.jpg
(file photo)

I make this often, Zippy's frozen Chili with Beans,
served over steamed White Rice and Diamond Bakery Soda Crackers on the side.
I buy loads of the chili at one of our favorite Asian Markets when we
go to either the California Coast or Las Vegas.
:yum:
Mom hasn't had this in years, so she'll be over the moon!

Blackened Kodiak rockfish with cheese polenta (or grits). The spice was paprika, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, black pepper, and kosher salt. Lettuce and greenhouse tomato salad. Glass of Airlie Seven white blend.

gQmXYz0.jpg

Last edited:
Going easy-peasy tonight, really tired today.

View attachment 48875
(file photo)

I make this often, Zippy's frozen Chili with Beans,
served over steamed White Rice and Diamond Bakery Soda Crackers on the side.
I buy loads of the chili at one of our favorite Asian Markets when we
go to either the California Coast or Las Vegas.
:yum:
Mom hasn't had this in years, so she'll be over the moon!

I honestly thought that Mom was going to lick her plate!! :LOL:
She was so happy.
Mom: Is this Zippy's Chili and Rice AND Diamond Bakery Soda Crackers?
Moi: It sure is Mom, it sure is
Mom: Oh thank you! Where did you get this?
Moi: I either bring it back in my suitcase from Hawaii or from the Asian Markets over here on the mainland
Mom: Thank you

*Daughter's note: Mom doesn't say thank you very often, not me anyways
:ROFLMAO:

We started with salads, which will be coming off the menu as the weather cools. There were two flounder fillets in the freezer; I baked them with a topping of buttered fresh breadcrumbs seasoned with grana padano cheese and the Spice House's Lakeshore Drive blend. Sides were steamed broccoli, and butter noodles with lemon zest and parsley. A bit of boxed chardonnay - it was that that kind of day.

IMG_20210917_212830251.jpg

I was having a craving for some Szechwan dish, and I have been wanting to use up some of that bag of greens I have in the fridge. So I used up half of what I had left of that, and a generous 2 cups of long beans. I also used up a lb of the venison my friend gave me a while back, since he just got more! So I made a meat sauce, like I make for my eggplant - a lot of minced garlic and ginger, followed by the chili paste with garlic, and some black soy and black vinegar, and a third of the garlic chives - then cooked beans in it for 4 minutes, stirred in the greens and a second batch of the chopped up chives (my substitute for scallions, since I don't have and of those growing), and wilted those for 4 minutes.

Before starting this, I cooked 2 different things in the Instant Pot on low pressure cook, draining them in a strainer - 1 c oat groats, followed by 1/3 c black quinoa. This was all stirred into the meat sauce, sort of like a fried rice, but a lot more nutritious, then a little more soy, and black vinegar was stirred in, along some sesame oil.
Greens, cleaned, chopped, and spun dry. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Oat groats and black quinoa, cooked separately in the IP. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Greens stirred into the meat and beans, ready to cover and wilt for 4 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Oats and quinoa stirred into the dish, before adjusting the seasoning. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished dish, with a garnish of more garlic chives. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I heated up leftover chicken cacciatore, mixed with pickled banana peppers and a little of their liquid, and freshly cooked orrechiette. Garlic bread on the side.
20210917_200743~2.jpg

Mom had a BLT on honey wheat with strawberries last night, I had chicken salad with pita crackers and watermelon cubes. Didn't feel like cooking.

Currently in the oven is chicken, Italian sausage, and root vegis. I'm getting hungry.

I had covered the meat and vegis in a sauce made of EVOO, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme. The veg were carrots, onions, rutabugger, celeriac, celery stalks, and garlic (with the skin left on to keep it from burning). It was delicious. We have, as planned, leftovers. All the veg got eaten. We had Mateus (Portuguese rosé) with that.

Roasted chicken, Italian sausage, and vegis.jpg

Back
Top Bottom