Tangy Potato Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
A nice, easy potato salad..

Cubed, cooked potatoes
Mayonnaise
Grainy Dijon Mustard
Cooked bacon bits
chopped green onions
coarse ground pepper
salt
chopped parsley

Cook potatoes off and allow to cool before adding all other ingredients ..I like to add Dijon mustard last and keep tasting it until I get the balanced tangy flavor I want, then, I add salt last to taste..garnish with more bacon bits and parsley to serve..

Last edited:
That sounds wonderful. It is Superbowl Sunday and I bought a bag of potatoes for a homemade batch. I'm trying all kinds of new ways to make PS so I will try your recipe.
Thanks

That's pretty close to how I make my potato salad. I'll have to try adding the grainy Dijon mustard next time. I like a splash or so of apple cider vinegar to give it a little zing.

That's pretty close to how I make my potato salad. I'll have to try adding the grainy Dijon mustard next time. I like a splash or so of apple cider vinegar to give it a little zing.
I use both, and I put the vinegar on while the potatoes are still warm, so they absorb it and are seasoned all the way through.

I use both, and I put the vinegar on while the potatoes are still warm, so they absorb it and are seasoned all the way through.
That's what I do. I also add some dill pickle juice when I am making the salad. And some Durries. When I am really creative, I grate some jalapeno in.

When I had a roommate from Nova Scotia, she'd make potato salad as above BUT she would add canned peas and diced tomatoes.

We found a recipe we really like, it has horseradish, bacon and a bit of Dijon or brown mustard in it, among other things. The potatoes also get sprinkled with a bit of Apple cider vinegar after draining.

We found a recipe we really like, it has horseradish, bacon and a bit of Dijon or brown mustard in it, among other things. The potatoes also get sprinkled with a bit of Apple cider vinegar after draining.

I personally don't use a recipe, but I do use acv, horseradish powder, a wee bit of curry powder, mustard, mayo, and cook the potatoes with celery salt added to the water. I LOVE an oil and vinegar potato salad when there are new potatoes in the garden, especially when there are red, yellow, and purple ones.

I also both salt the potatoes and splash with vinegar when they are still very warm.
You guys using ACV or another vinegar? I also splash a bit of EVOO on the potatoes. I cool the potatoes on a 1/4 sheet before adding to the dressing so that they don't suck up all the dressing and I end up with a dry potato salad when using a mayo-based dressing--something I learned in a commercial kitchen.

Last edited:
You guys using ACV or another vinegar? I also splash a bit of EVOO on the potatoes. I cool the potatoes on a 1/4 sheet before adding to the dressing so that they don't suck up all the dressing and I end up with a dry potato salad when using a mayo-based dressing--something I learned in a commercial kitchen.
I use ACV for this salad. Then I make a dressing with Duke's mayo, a little more ACV, homemade Dijon-style grainy mustard, S&P and fresh parsley from the garden. I feel like I'm forgetting something, but that's pretty much it.

I also make a potato salad with a vinaigrette dressing and sliced new potatoes instead of chunks. That has white wine vinegar, olive oil, dried oregano, S&P. Optional additions are sliced black olives and minced red onion.

I don't have a "recipe" for potato salad or Cole slaw. I just do. I am surprised no one has mentioned poppy seeds in cole slaw--although I have black and white, I usually use black in cole slaw. And zucchini slaw with fresh French tarragon from the garden...

I use ACV for this salad. Then I make a dressing with Duke's mayo, a little more ACV, homemade Dijon-style grainy mustard, S&P and fresh parsley from the garden. I feel like I'm forgetting something, but that's pretty much it.

I also make a potato salad with a vinaigrette dressing and sliced new potatoes instead of chunks. That has white wine vinegar, olive oil, dried oregano, S&P. Optional additions are sliced black olives and minced red onion.
I only use white vinegar for cleaning, but I love white wine vinegar and rice vinegar for garden salads.

I've used my secret ingredient for a thousand years . . . or so.
horseradish.

Inglehoffer makes a creamy style. I use it for almost any dressed (non-greens) salad - potato, egg, pasta.... it has no lumps/chunks/root bits - it's been pureed to smithereens. looks smooth as mayo. incorporates well.

the trick is to use just enough to make a difference and not enough that anyone can say "Oh, that's horseradish!" - leave 'em guessing - "what is that yummieness....?"

also used it beaten in with egg for meatloaf/burgers/sliders. you can use a smidge more for those.

when I'm out of ideas for that, I bring out the anchovy paste-in-a-tube.
again, one of those _DO NOT OVERDO_ flavors. on the order of a a half inch squeeze for a 10" bowl of potato salad... it is imperative to (thoroughly) blend it in with the mayo/salad dressing/whatever pre-adding.... one does not want "pockets" of anchovy past in the finished salad.

I used to use anchovy paste more before I discovered fish sauce. That stuff goes in lots of sauces and gravies that I make. So, yeah, it's a nice touch in potato salad. I also add it to dip.

I personally don't use a recipe, but I do use acv, horseradish powder, a wee bit of curry powder, mustard, mayo, and cook the potatoes with celery salt added to the water. I LOVE an oil and vinegar potato salad when there are new potatoes in the garden, especially when there are red, yellow, and purple ones.

I don't use a recipe for our go to potato salad either, but sometimes we want to try something different.

Back
Top Bottom