TGIFriday 2/25/11 What's cooking, or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Today was inspection which is done, so now I can finish putting away the turkey, and get the carcass cooking.

I'm leaving the bones in for the thighs, drumsticks and wings. I should have enough for this stock and one later on with those bones.

I made the mini Mushroom Quiche exactly like LPBeier's recipe, but put the ingredients in layers in the muffin tin.

Great size for freezing, so I froze them in the pan and will pop them into a gallon zip bag. Big lumpy bags can get stuffed in odd places in the freezer. I'll also cut up the half loaf of French bread, split open and sandwich size. I need me some version of Cuban sandwiches

I think I'll strip the turkey neck and make a sandwich from that for lunch.

Dinner? I'm thinking of trying RockLobster's Tortilla Pizza inspiration.

Layer a tortilla with
spaghetti sauce,
browned ground sausage meat with
onions,
grated cj cheese,
a lightly chopped mini Mushroom Gratin

Hmm. Sounds pretty good. I love the idea of using tortillas for personal pizzas. I've gotta try it.:chef:

What are you cooking today? Or, are you eating out, take home, or delivery?

I'm making a dish with chicken, Kalamata olives, pepperoncini, onions in a sauce made with wine and pickle juice. This goes over rice.

Last night I noticed the store had chuck roasts on sale so I picked up a couple and ground them today. Will have spaghetti with meat sauce for dinner. The rest of the ground chuck is portioned and in the freezer.

Z, I make tortilla pizzas now and then. I always make them a double later with cheese inbetween the tortilla shells. It makes them easier to pick up and hold the slices plus the obvious... it gives you an extra layer of cheese :chef:

I'm thinking of grilling a steak along with some smashed redskins.

No clue yet. Lot of leftovers in the fridge, but I'm not in the mood for chicken or pork.

Date night has been moved to tomorrow (Unless we want to be surrounded by a herd of 3rd grade boys having a sleepover!), so we will be eating at home tonight. Chili!!! Then Katie H's "Funeral Cake," which I made late last night.

:)Barbara

I'm going to try for Shepherd's Pie again tonight. It never got made last night, because something came up and I couldn't get an early enough start on it, so I just fired in a turkey pot pie from the freezer.
I'm going to sneak in some onions in the ground beef tonight. I usually keep them out because my daughter is picky but she will have to pick them out tonight.

Z, I make tortilla pizzas now and then. I always make them a double later with cheese inbetween the tortilla shells. It makes them easier to pick up and hold the slices plus the obvious... it gives you an extra layer of cheese :chef:

This time, I spread out all my goodies then folded them. They were not crisp enough, so I just ate with a knife and fork. Very Yummy. One would definitely been enough.

Next, I'll try it open like you did. I should be able to finish it off in the oven so I won't have to turn it.:chef:

I did finish putting away the turkey. The carcass and skin, neck, plus giblet stock are bubbling slowly. A taste of the liquid a couple of hours ago says this is going to be great!

I took the leftover stuffing which was pretty damp and mixed it up together, putting balls of it in the muffin tin and baked it up for putting in a gallon bag of them in the freezer. They popped right out because I didn't press them into the tin.

This time, I spread out all my goodies then folded them. They were not crisp enough, so I just ate with a knife and fork. Very Yummy. One would definitely been enough.

Next, I'll try it open like you did. I should be able to finish it off in the oven so I won't have to turn it.:chef:

I would't overload them too much. They can't hold up to too much weight and moisture.

Ground up 3# chuck for burgers, throw some frozen fries in the fat belly frier, and boiled some corn in a crawfish boil mix(I'm jones'n bad for a boil, had to have that smell in the shed).

They(family) will be happy, if not.....I'll tell them they will be happy.;):LOL:

Steeler's fan huh???LOL

Browns fan, Patty.

Putting them in the oven to finish is usually what I do, Z. Quesadillas I just put a lid on the skillet, but tortilla pizzas need more time with all the ingredients and the oven works well.

The green beans didn't make it into the pic. I have a happy belly :)

Attachments

• steak, porto, potato.jpg
    steak, porto, potato.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 198
No clue yet. Lot of leftovers in the fridge, but I'm not in the mood for chicken or pork.

So we settled it and had a reallly really bad splurge..... Pizza Hut Peperoni Lovers and Cheese Lovers pizzas. :angel:

I had a package of brats in the fridge that needed to be used. So we had those with German potato salad and peas.

just took beef back ribs out of crockpot. going into a hot oven to glaze some bbq sauce on them. baked sweet potato. that's it. guest for week end coming tomorrow so wanted quick tonight. other things to do to get ready. still have to vacuum sun room a.k.a. cat room. they scatter litter every where.

I did the "what's in the fridge/fresh veggie/fruit basket that I should eat" for dinner. I had about 1/4 lb ground beef, six mushrooms, 1/2 of a yellow onion, 3 c of cooked macaroni, 1 avacado, about 2 oz of moz. cheese and 1 c of garbanzo beans (chickpeas). Homemade "Hamburger Helper." I browned the ground beef, mishrooms, and onion, added 1/2 of the avacado (diced), tossed in the tomatoes, about 1/2 c water, the mac. and the cheese, and oh-horrors--squeezed about 2-3 T of catsup in, cayenne pepper. I let everything simmer for about 10 minutes...(once the meat, onions, and mushrooms were browned) until the cheese melted. My version of "Hamburger Helper." Now the stuff I should use up, is gone <g>. I ate the other 1/2 of the avacado on the side.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom