Thickener for making desserts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chocoholic

Senior Cook
Is there some sort of basic thickener for dessert recipes? Like powdered sugar, or butter or something? I just wondered if there's a general thickening substance used. :chef:

It depends ....What are you making?

For example, you could use powdered sugar, butter, flour, cornstarch, tapioca, arrowroot, rice flour ....

It all depends on what you are trying to thicken and how much you are trying to thicken it.

Try arrowroot or cornflour.

Arrowroot is used in a similar way to cornflour, but is more tasteless and gives a clearer and glossier result, so is the first choice for fruit glazes and sauces. However, use arrowroot only when the dish is to be served within 10 minutes of preparation. It will not hold heat, nor will it reheat.

1 tablespoon cornflour equals 2 tablespoons plain flour. The mixture will not be clear and glossy as with cornflour.

I tend to use arrowroot, too. It doesn't 'cloud' the ingredients that you are trying to thicken

I used to love Cherries Jubilee. Served with home made vanilla ice-cream. Just open a couple of tins of black cherries in syrup. Put in a saucepan... slake off a little arrowroot - add to the sauce. When warmed through, pour over the vanilla icecream.

WONDERFUL!

I like tapioca starch because it cooks clear. I tried arrowroot and the sauce was slimy (stringy). Tapioca starch can be found in oriental groceries. I also use corn starch.

Back
Top Bottom